Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

Back home in Salford. A cracking cup tie which was made unnecessarily exciting on our part! There was actually some good defending apart from the two occasions we nodded off and they scored!! Vickers did have to make two very good saves but they were both from (well hit) speculative long range efforts. The real highlight was the 'front' four who with their different strengths really had the Northampton defence not knowing whether to stick or twist on a good few occasions. This allowed Pett to benefit by getting forward a bit more than recently. Best home performance for a couple of months even allowing for the annoyingly conceded two.

Probably cleared £60,000 today with the prize money and share of the gate, excellent entertainment and three cracking goals, the only losers were those who missed out today. Shame that the FA Cup has fallen so far in the must see stakes, it certainly has benefited us big time in the last couple of years. UTI.

Probably cleared £60,000 today with the prize money and share of the gate, excellent entertainment and three cracking goals, the only losers were those who missed out today. Shame that the FA Cup has fallen so far in the must see stakes, it certainly has benefited us big time in the last couple of years. UTI.

Yes I don't get why fans (and quite a lot of clubs) seem to have the the FA Cup in a lesser category. For me it's always been one of the key highlights of the season. And every round that we either romp or limp into is a great bonus.
Looking forward to the 2nd round, whoever and wherever it is. A must see always.

And as for today, a LOT of chances made by us, three superbly taken goals, downside was we probably should have had at least three more. Northampton likewise could have had a couple more but Vickers pulled out crucial saves (as he had done in opening Lge game at their place).

If it's another home draw, think we will be back to a packed Bank.

UTI :cheers:

Having said that, the crowd of 6,012 is higher than any gate we had in the National League prior to the game against Tranmere on 17 December 2016.

Just watched the FA Cup highlights from the last run

and got the shivers!!!! Please please please, same again.... :bow:

Me too Hither, love seeing iconic goals especially when set to music, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.....remember the Nathan Arnold goal against Ipswich set to the titanic music. The music just seems to magnify the emotion

Are red cards definitely competition specific? Doesn’t that mean their guy could potentially be ineligible to play in the FA Cup for the next 3 seasons?

Edit - to answer my own question I think red cards are only competition specific in Checkatrade. Yellow cards are competition specific. Sorry to link to the scum but it’s the first result on google https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...ards-count-across-all-competitions-efl-rules/

Last edited:
Offensively our best performance for some time. Two poor goals conceded took the gloss off the performance somewhat. However they were the current in form team in our league and we were so much better than them for the majority of the match. This has to bode well going forwards.

They really struggled to cope with our attacking options with all four of our front-line running their defence ragged. We made two daft defensive errors.

Since we now know DC/NC specifically read my comments on here for coaching tips, I'm going to suggest they work on cutting out those daft defensive mistakes. ;)

Couldn't agree more. He knew he was going to get it, and simply smiled and gave us the thumbs up. Fair play to him.

Made me chuckle, a fair few fans around me turned their backs on him pointing to their imaginary names on their backs to replicate his celebration. The ref put his arm around him and I’m guessing said something like “ what’s sauce for the goose....”

Do you know what....I really enjoyed that game. Really entertaining and on a knife edge from when Northampton got one back.

If this were the Lincoln of old....they would have conceded right at the death. We've all been there at games like that.

We found a way of winning, when we should have shut the door. Defensively there are a few small snags, but I thought Wilson looked way better on the right today and was linking up with Harry brilliantly.

I love a see saw game...with both teams attacking. I must give credit to the Cobblers for coming and attacking, rather than parking the bus and trying to hit us on the break. I just think that last minute winner will have inspired a good deal of much needed confidence for the squad, as they go into a two week break. Which is also much needed.

I really enjoyed the game, as did Mini Jeff.