Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 28 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

Not been able to see or hear the game today. From a brief glance at the thread, it appears that MAPP has had a little look at different options. Could be a very important 3 points when it possibly could have been a draw. Shame Hull added 4 to their GD but 3 clear of third is a very happy place. Tuesday is going to be such a huge game. Can’t wait.

Tuesday might be a game to watch through the fingers at times but it's match ups like these, even in January that make football the great game that it is.

Splendid result. Promotions are won through late goals that turn draws into wins. Two big games to come this week. Portsmouth is a freebie now they lost today and we won. We are due a result against Doncaster after the robbery at the Keepmoat last season and the tight game earlier this. UTI

Well no.
He isn't a commentator. His job is being a naff local radio hopeless presenter.
I think he manages that just fine.
You are being unnecessarily unkind.His main job is being a very successful programme editor at a very successful and highly competent local BBC station which delivers a fantastic service to its audience.
His ‘extra’ job as match commentator is where he falls down. Yesterday his lack of knowledge of any of the Northampton players bar Bolger just wasn’t good enough when he knew the commentary was the only option for both sets of fans on ifollow.

You are being unnecessarily unkind.His main job is being a very successful programme editor at a very successful and highly competent local BBC station which delivers a fantastic service to its audience.
His ‘extra’ job as match commentator is where he falls down. Yesterday his lack of knowledge of any of the Northampton players bar Bolger just wasn’t good enough when he knew the commentary was the only option for both sets of fans on ifollow.

Maybe it is time he sticks to his ‘main job’ then and let Mark Hone/Rob Makepeace commentate with Thommo summarising.

Getting our own players wrong time after time plus not doing any research about the opponent is really poor and it is disappointing it hasn’t been pulled up.

For weeks now I always tune in to the opposition commentary and find it much more professional, even from the volunteers on the Wimbledon radio.

Lots of people I know in Lincoln love Michael Hortin’s various presentations on Radio Lincolnshire. I believe his pirate gold programme/feature has helped make lockdown easier for many people.

I certainly have enjoyed Hope and Glory while heading up to Lincoln for matches; and still do. With regard to commentary, the verbage? and entertainment from him and Tommo is great. I guess I am not quite as bothered about getting names wrong as others and I have become accepting of the “Hortinisms“.

Some commentators are brilliant at name retention, others need notes for the entire game. Maybe Michael could be encouraged to try the latter. I would not wish to see Hortin hounded out, to be replaced by some monosyllabic football guru, who learned the names perfectly and knew where each opposition player was born, their career history, mother’s maiden name, and what they had had for breakfast.

I also usually listen to part of the game with the opposition commentary. Sometimes it is better, quite often it is worse; it is generally more critical but seldom is it as entertaining.

Last edited:
The question is not whether he is a good radio presenter, or producer. I have no idea, I've never heard any of his programmes.

He is, however, the worst football commentator I have ever heard. And that is a field with a huge number of contenders.

If I can't get the opponent's commentary I just mute it if he's on.

Steve Thompson is also a likeable personality, but it's clear that both of them just turn up with no preparation whatsoever.

Maybe it is time he sticks to his ‘main job’ then and let Mark Hone/Rob Makepeace commentate with Thommo summarising.

Getting our own players wrong time after time plus not doing any research about the opponent is really poor and it is disappointing it hasn’t been pulled up.

For weeks now I always tune in to the opposition commentary and find it much more professional, even from the volunteers on the Wimbledon radio.
Hone and Thommo gets my vote. Sadly, Michael was embarrassingly bad yesterday. I can almost forgive him with the away players names, I don't know his workload, maybe he's a very busy man. But not being able to identify our players, some of whom have been with us for over a year is just ridiculous. I'd love to hear him commentate on the Grand National, that would be a joy!

It might help Hortin if he wasn't with Thommo. He seems to find him very distracting. He might be better with a more "serious" side-kick.

When I watch live, in person at the ground, I have no commentator at all and find this entirely satisfactory.

Do I need someone to tell me when our left back has the ball, that that is Edun?...
...no, not even if the bloke behind me says Eyoma's cross was brilliant, I know who crossed the ball.

Does anyone tell me who the opposition player in possession is?..
...no, if a particular player is influential, I look at the programme or my phone and find out who they are.

By and large though I am not interested who is in the opposition side.

Having "Lincoln biased" commentators and summarisors is fine by me. Its a bit like sitting in the stand with the regulars around you.

Yes they have the same annoying habits, say the same things every week that you disagree with etc etc.

But it's what watching football is like.

I have listened to away commentary against Blackpool and Wimbledon. They knew all the players names, just like anyone watching from Lincoln would already.

Did I prefer their commentary? No.

‘Hounded out’. Good grief. He’s simply a terrible commentator, which I didn’t really give a monkeys about when we were able to watch games live, but now we’re paying to listen to his dirge you’d at least think he’d make an effort to read up on the opposition. I knew who many of the Northampton players were, and I manage to know that whilst holding up a full time job.

He excelled himself yesterday by not even getting Lincoln players right.

Good, hard fought win though after a slow start. Tom Hopper and Tayo Edun excellent again.

Yesterday his lack of knowledge of any of the Northampton players bar Bolger just wasn’t good enough when he knew the commentary was the only option for both sets of fans on ifollow.

Totally agree with you John. If Hortin knew that his and Thommo's commentary was going out to both sets of fans he should of made a bit of effort to know who the Northampton players were and done some basic research with a few stats on their players that may have been interesting within the context of the game. I havnt listened to one commentary of an away game this season when the commentators didn't know our players names and have also been able to mention a few basic facts or interesting statistics to do with players or the team.
If I would of been a Northampton fan listening to that you may as well of had the sound off. Even I as a home fan I would like to hear at least some basic facts to do with the opposition team and players.
Knowing that he knew that the commentary was going out to both sets of fans and he chose not to find out anything about the opposition reveals to me what sort of person he is and shows a lack of respect to the way he not only did this game but every game he commentates on.
It may sound a bit contradictory but I have stated before that I dont mind Hortin and Thommo as a commentary team but I think when you know that the commentary is going out to both sets of fans you have to show a bit more respect, balance and professionalism to everyone who is turning in.

I do like Appleton’s press conferences. He’s not the PR machine that Cowley was but he’s always honest and straight to the point.

Interesting that signings now not expected until end of next week, perhaps missed out on a player?