Match Thread: Lincoln City v Newport County | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Newport County

Newport caused us more problems in the air than any other side this season, which is how they built their pressure initially, along with us playing a bit cautiously with 2 goal leads.

However, I also think we are beginning to play some really good stuff now. The first 30 minutes today (and last week) we were excellent. The 3 in midfield gives us more control and also goal threat. Think another midfielder of a similar calibre should be first priority in the transfer window (if we are going with a 3man midfield).

To be able to win a game with a howler from Smith is a good sign. We will play as well as we did at the start again but not expecting too many more goals like their second.

Without that goal, you would have judged it as a comfortable win against a good side.

Akinde was a real handful as he has been most of the season, once fit. Feel a bit sorry for the minority who were criticising him earlier in the season, that they could n 't see what he does and that the goals were sure to follow. Just needed a dose of confidence and a bit of luck.

Barring a major injury misfortune and a disaster in the transfer window, can't see us being far away come May.

My son and Grandson went to Macc today to support the Vale. A lot of Vale fans not happy, and apparently mutterings among the Vale crowd were that if they play like that against Lincoln, they'll get battered!
My friend has said he’s not coming to watch Lincoln v Vale because he doesn’t want to watch them get smashed a 3rd time by us in a season.

Blimey.

I thought Newport were OK after the first 15 minutes and they looked dangerous when attacking. But better side? By far?

They were behind for practically the whole game. For 48 minutes of the 90 they were two goals behind. They did at least have a go at it and we had some of the rather panicky defending which was eliminated after the first couple of games this season.

In all honesty, although there was a lot of to and fro, both sides were guilty of giving the ball away a lot, and there were some really scrappy phases. But it was open and that kept it interesting.

We can, and have, played a lot better than that. Like the first 20 minutes of this game, for example! As others have said, in the end the team battled their way to the win.
More Xmas cheer from an opposition mardy manager!

Great front foot start but gave them a lifeline right on ht. We played some good on the ground stuff, the other lot relied mainly on howitzers up to their planks up front, some decent planks though. Dreadful second goal, look away time as both our players did ! Santa came early. Still we ground it out driven on by the twelve man as usual. Ref gave us nothing, could see why Danny lost it ! O'Connor took a bad knock, but Wharton fitted in well as his replacement, Andrade for the last half hour chased, pressured, but not fully fit. The other lot will be up there and it will turn out to be a good three points come April. Happy Christmas !!

Newport are a decent pressing side with excellent aerial presence. They remind me of us in our National league championship season and they will do well. A good result against very much play off contenders. Newport manager thinks they were better than us:sleep:. Jog on, just disappointed that in spite of us gifting them two goals and taking our foot off the pedal we clearly had too much quality for them.

From records does not mean we can't!

While true, and I do occasionally have the nightmare of Sutton and Tilson being brought in to replace the Cowleys, I don't think even they could combine to pretty much lose every game for the rest of the season and be overhauled by every other team in the league.

Need a stiff drink after that one, hanging on but job done.

Sounded like we gift-wrapped them their goals though, a bit too seasonal. Hopefully O'Connor sub a precaution given his previous knee history and a lot of games coming up.

Pretty much.

Smith guilty for both. Ball slipped from his grasp for the first and then appeared to try to pass to Shackell ( think he was in 2 minds, which caused the clanger) and was well short of doing so, which essentially allowed Newport a free hit.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the game today. Fair play to Newport who came back into the game strongly after going two goals down. They really attacked us, and at times we struggled. However, this also meant that there was lots of space for us to exploit. Great finishes from Anderson and Pett and another goal for Akinde. He is beginning to settle into the Lincoln team, I feel. We are in a fantastic position with a great team and legends as managers. 47 points by Christmas is amazing.

2019 is going to be an exciting year. I genuinely cannot see three teams finishing above us. If we make some good signings in January, then we should be in a good place for the rest of the season and also for August. Can the Cowley's take us into the Championship in the next few years? Happy days! Happy Christmas to all and let's hope for a great 2019! UTI

My immediate reaction is that we tried to play the same style of play as last week but didn’t quite manage to do it as effectively. Danny talked about our evolution in one of his press conferences this week and it’s crystal clear to me over the last couple of matches.

I quite like it when opposition managers state that they were the better team, especially when we score more goals than they do
The guy says our 3rd goal was something you would see in a school yard, not sure where you would see something like their second!

We've got an incredible home record under DC.

Don't know the stats and breakdown from league and the various cups, but maybe only 7 or 8 defeats in 2½ years?
League:
P58 W37 D15 L6 F110 A53 Pts126
Average points per game: 2.17
Win percentage: 63.8%

Cups & play-offs:
P16 W10 D5 L1 F30 A18
Win percentage: 62.5%

TOTAL HOME GAMES:
P74 W47 D20 L7 F140 A71
Win percentage: 63.5%

League:
P58 W37 D15 L6 F110 A53 Pts126
Average points per game: 2.17
Win percentage: 63.8%

Cups & play-offs:
P16 W10 D5 L1 F30 A18
Win percentage: 62.5%

TOTAL HOME GAMES:
P74 W47 D20 L7 F140 A71
Win percentage: 63.5%
magic Scotimp. Am I allowed to shout "STATTO,STATTO"?