Match Thread: Lincoln City v Newport County | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Newport County

I'm just a bit wary of how Mansfield and Colchester keep rolling out the results at the moment, but there is plenty of room to argue for Bury to be any 3 from 5.
Colchester are 11th in the six-game form table, but they have had a tough run of games (like us in November). MKD have just started a tough run and are not coping too well with it (two defeats from four). All very interesting.

Much closer than it should have been. Feel really sorry for Grant as he has performed really well in Vickers' absence.

Newport were brilliant in the final two thirds....but always looked dodgy at the back. Best attacking team I have seen at Sincil Bank for a long time.

I thought the referee was good today and I am not sure what DC got sent off for. It looked like an excellent tackle on our player from the Cambridge defender, from our vantage point.

O'Connor looks in a bad way and Harry A has added another 50-100k to his asking price. What a goal.

Happy to be corrected....but weren't we top at Xmas in 2016 with the same amount of points?

Star players in order, Freck, Pett, Akinde and Anderson
Happy to be corrected?Cambridge?

57 goals scored now, of all different varieties...

Wouldn't it be nice to go to Everton with over 60 in the (onion) bag?

Superb first 25, but then we made real hard work of it! Thought Freck, Pett, Harry and Akinde all did well. Hope O’Connors injury isn’t too bad.

Newport were decent going forward, probably most shots we’ve faced this season.

Report from the South Wales Argus:

"NEWPORT County AFC twice battled their way back into this entertaining contest but they ultimately paid the price for another woeful start at Sincil Bank."

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/s...ot-enough-for-newport-county-at-lincoln-city/

And Michael Flynn admitted a “terrible” start cost his team again, but he’s adamant that they should have beaten League Two leaders Lincoln City at Sincil Bank:

“It was a terrible start but once we got back into it, I thought we were the better side by far,” said the manager.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/s...ss-frustrated-after-3-2-loss-at-lincoln-city/

Happy with that although I’d hoped for better after 2-0 start in 11 mins. Still a great result and I thouroughy enjoyed your company this afternoon. Good fun. See you all tomorrow as off to eat a curry, not cooked by me for a change.

And Michael Flynn admitted a “terrible” start cost his team again, but he’s adamant that they should have beaten League Two leaders Lincoln City at Sincil Bank:

“It was a terrible start but once we got back into it, I thought we were the better side by far,” said the manager.

Blimey.

I thought Newport were OK after the first 15 minutes and they looked dangerous when attacking. But better side? By far?

They were behind for practically the whole game. For 48 minutes of the 90 they were two goals behind. They did at least have a go at it and we had some of the rather panicky defending which was eliminated after the first couple of games this season.

In all honesty, although there was a lot of to and fro, both sides were guilty of giving the ball away a lot, and there were some really scrappy phases. But it was open and that kept it interesting.

We can, and have, played a lot better than that. Like the first 20 minutes of this game, for example! As others have said, in the end the team battled their way to the win.

The Radio Lincs broadcast seemed to suggest that both Newport goals sprang from Lincoln errors. If so, that doesn't suggest they were the better team (by far) at all.

My son and Grandson went to Macc today to support the Vale. A lot of Vale fans not happy, and apparently mutterings among the Vale crowd were that if they play like that against Lincoln, they'll get battered!