Match Thread: Lincoln City v Morecambe | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Morecambe

A lot of positives today. Shack can rifle in free kicks. Some great football played, such as for first goal, mixed with playing to the elements. Akinde and O’Connor, both new signings who had injuries last season, are both getting better by the game as they clearly get fitter.

Me again. One more point. I was really impressed with us today especially in possession. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I did hear some 'pass it forward' and 'throw it down the line' type comments in the crowd. For me we made intelligent choices today and executed them well - taking an extra pass to get it wide and provide a better ball, moving the ball quickly with one and two touches, playing backwards across the back and pinging it in and out of midfield. It was a higher standard of football than the 'pass it forward' minority can grasp.

As so often is the case a commanding half time lead by a side (any side) is bad for the game. Half time gets in the way and it's obvious they're always told not to do anything stupid and play safe.

The problem with that is that you lose your rhythm and once you're in that mindset you can't recapture the same form.

As I'm only looking at ifollow I assumed the wind was down the ground from the South Park end? Although I couldn't be sure as Morecambe had a couple of 40 yard attempts in the first half, which against the wind would have been brave.

Other than the two Smith howlers I don't remember Morecambe causing any alarms up until the well-made and finished goal they scored, so it was comfortable if not the festival it promised to be.

Anderson had his best game of the season giving their defence a hard time throughout, though you have to say there isn't too much finesse about him. A kind of modern-day Tony Galvin.

As so often is the case a commanding half time lead by a side (any side) is bad for the game. Half time gets in the way and it's obvious they're always told not to do anything stupid and play safe.

The problem with that is that you lose your rhythm and once you're in that mindset you can't recapture the same form.

As I'm only looking at ifollow I assumed the wind was down the ground from the South Park end? Although I couldn't be sure as Morecambe had a couple of 40 yard attempts in the first half, which against the wind would have been brave.

Other than the two Smith howlers I don't remember Morecambe causing any alarms up until the well-made and finished goal they scored, so it was comfortable if not the festival it promised to be.

Anderson had his best game of the season giving their defence a hard time throughout, though you have to say there isn't too much finesse about him. A kind of modern-day Tony Galvin.
Anderson in full flow turns the opposing midfield and full back rendering that flank inoperative, no finesse required

Excellent 3 points in the kind of game we usually mess up with.
A case of putting a team away in the first half and adapting to the conditions in the second. Shame no clean sheet thanks to Ellison ( again!!!) but that's a minor issue

Now about those Everton tickets.....................

No one can complain at that.

Weather was obviously dreadful and a really good attendance despite that. Lots of people have to travel 30 mins plus to get to the games and, given the forecast, its understandable that some couldn't make it/risk it.

Thought we were excellent in the first half and did the bare minimum in the second half, which at this time of year (with the fixture pile up) is exactly the performance we wanted. Despite not being that great second half we still dominated play and the only chance they created they scored. Other than that they only looked likely to score from Smith's poor handling in truly awful conditions. Having said that their goal was from some very good football.

Our first goal was a thing of beauty and we all want to see more of that. That inside ball down the flanks is so dangerous, but I don't think we use it enough. Given the conditions I expected us to play a bit more on the ground. The second was a stonewall penalty, but such an unnecessary push from their player. Cleanly despatched from Akinde, as expected. Our third really was a bolt from the blue from a Lincoln fan! My exact words as we were setting up for the fee kick were 'surely we have some better than Shackell to take this'. How wrong was I!? What a belter.

Just hoping Andrade and Eardley's injury aren't that bad. Don't think the latter's will be that bad. He clearly had a slight knock going into half time. Think he tried to continue in the second half, wasn't fully happy and it was decided he should come off at 3 0 up.

Hearing rumours that Green is moving to Salford in January. Didn't believe it at first, however, when he threw his shirt into the crowd at the end it got me thinking. With Andrade being out he might have expected to start. I guess we shall see. In any case, he put in 100% as usual.

Perfect performance given the conditions. Great stuff going into Christmas.

Last edited:
Not really sure anyone can complain at that.

Weather was obviously dreadful and a really good attendance despite that. Lots of people have to travel 30 mins plus to get to the games and, given the forecast, its understandable that some couldn't make it/risk it.

Thought we were excellent in the first half and did the bare minimum in the second half, which at this time of year (with the fixture pile up) is exactly the performance we wanted. Despite not being that great second half we still dominated play and the only chance they created they scored. Other than that they only looked likely to score from Smith's poor handling in truly awful conditions. Having said that their goal was some. Very good football.

Our first was a thing if beauty and we all want to see more of that. That inside ball down the flanks is so dangerous, but u don't think we use it enough. The second was a stonewall penalty, but such an unnecessary push from their player. Cleanly despatched from Akinde, as expected. Our third really was a shot from the blue from a Lincoln fan. My exact words as we were setting up for the fee kick was 'surely we have some better than Shackell to take this'. How wrong was I!? What a belter.

Just hoping Andrade and Eardley's injury aren't that bad. Don't think the latter's will be that bad. He clearly had a slight knock going into half time. Tried to play on in the second half, wasn't fully happy ad decided it wasn't worth continuing at 3 0 up.

Hearing rumours that green is moving to Salford. Didn't believe it at first. However with Andrade being out he might have expected him to start then he unusually threw his shirt into the crowd. In any case, he put in 100% as always.

Perfect performance given the conditions. Great stuff going into Christmas.

Really Don't think we can afford to let Greeny go. Salford are obviously a club who can pay loads. But would be a massive step backwards for Matt.

Really Don't think we can afford to let Greeny go. Salford are obviously a club who can pay loads. But would be a massive step backwards for Matt.
Backwards step in league standard only. The guy is the wrong side of 30 and not getting game time. Two things he will need are financial stability (I'd imagine they will better his wage and give him 2 years) and playing time (not getting the mins in L2 won't bode well for him if we go up!).
I would fully understand him going if they came knocking.

Thanks to Mr Ellison for getting into the time of season and playing the panto villain!
Comedy gold when whoever it was chipped the ball over his head in the second half.
Still a decent player though for his years.

you would expect green to be involved next week, so maybe another shirt in the crowd then... although being vanarama, presumably salford could sign him at any time.

Thanks to Mr Ellison for getting into the time of season and playing the panto villain!
Comedy gold when whoever it was chipped the ball over his head in the second half.
Still a decent player though for his years.
It was Michael O'Connor right in front of the JIC area, absolutely brilliant, made us laugh.

looked like a few were low on energy finishing the game. not pretty, but relatively easy second half, which will save the batteries a bit for next weekend.
great ball in and technique by ellison for their goal.
I felt we were managing the game for long periods in the 2nd half with a view to 4 matches coming up in quick succession. A very well managed performance in atrocious conditions from start to finish. Very competent display all round. UTI

In very poor conditions we played some real good stuff , some great passing movements and clearly adapted to playing without Andrade, having had the week to sort it. Could have been more than three in the first half which finished the game off. Anderson had his best game for ages, constant danger and tracked back all over the place. Second half into the wind and driving rain, game management. If that was Greens farewell, chucking his shirt into the crowd and marching off without a wave, a bit disappointing, but if the rumoured Salford have offered money, thats footi I suppose and good business.
UTI.

Brave little Salford have been sniffing around after him for a while haven't they?
Probably double his wages knowing that lot !
Good luck to him
Has a young family so you can't blame him, his twitter says he lives in Bath, another long commute

Great first half display, I felt a lot of people were keen to receive and look comfortable on the ball. Toff and Pett were excellent in the first half , Shackell and Bossie through out the game again, but for me O’Connor was excellent. Anderson had a good game one goal and three excellent crosses.

Down side Eardley going off and in the last 15 Shackell picking up a knock and Frecko really struggling after making a great challenge at the end. Hope they aren’t to serious.

Green's league appearance record this season:
Starts: 2
Subs: 17
Unused sub: 1
Not involved: 1
Goals: 2

No player is going to be happy with that.

The main issue is that he is out of contract at the end of the season; as others have said, if we do go up, what chance does he have of making the side in L1? Alternatively, what chance does he have even if we remain in L2? So what chance does he have of being on the retained list?

If an offer does (or even has) come in, it may be best for club and player to accept it right now.

Done absolutely nothing wrong ,its a waste of a good player who is more mobile than anybody up front .Should be told he can go on a free at the end of the season with a promotion on his cv.I hope its silly money we are getting as a fee though i doubt it!

A couple of chances passed across the goal when it looked easier to score than miss. Well, nearly but it could have been 5-0 at half-time. Played some lovely football, especially 2nd half against atrocious conditions. Morecombe took their goal well but were easily second best almost all of the game. Very happy. UTI!

I've been suprised Greeny's not had more time in partnership with Akinde as a last 30 minutes variation, Greens nagging persistence on the last defender can stretch tiring legs. Even today, Thommo commented that McCartan was looking 'leggy' about 10 mins before Greeny brought on and assumed that would be the change, not Akinde.

But the management runs the training, sees the GPS stats, and unlike some of their predecessors have my (almost) complete trust to get the decisions right.

Greenys at a stage where he needs to more than a benchwarmer, would be a shame to see him go but he's another player who's being left behind by the team's evolution.