Match Thread: Lincoln City v Morecambe | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Morecambe

Something is in the pipeline with Greeny- throwing your shirt into the home end is not a common occurrence after a standard home win.

Seemed very unusual and likely he is going- didn't make sense this afternoon but does now.

Of course, another pleasing aspect today was the amount of short sleeved shirts being worn. None of this long sleeve/glove malarkey.

Couldn’t care who does or doesn’t where gloves /under shirts, people vary with circulation, best to where what suits them best.

Very good report that. Had a smile on my face as you could sense the depression and inevitability by the writer in the first part. Could almost have been a Lincoln write-up three years ago. Interesting to read the comment about the FA Cup draw - until two years ago Lincoln had very rarely drawn a Premiership side in the Cup. Mind you, we very often never made the third round, so that could be why ?

Excellent performance by virtually the whole team. All played their part in what looked like atrocious conditions. Nice to see the team getting the ball down and playing it on the deck to combat the wind. Played some really lovely football through the midfield - shades of earlier in the season? Good to see Harry back to his best - a constant threat. Great to see Big John playing like we all hoped he would when we signed him. Really showed his skill and class - keep it coming John. Midfield three was excellent, Pett & Toffolo combined really well in Andrade's absence down the left. Shackell & Bossie solid at the back and that goal from Shackell - wow. Had a laugh listening to Thommo in the i-Follow commentary questionning why Shackell was taking the FK as CBs don't score FKs like that - oh, hang on a minute !!!!!!! Priceless.
Great all round performance, even though Ellison scored against us, again! As soon as I saw his name on the team sheet (& Oliver's) I thought one or both of them could score. Have to admire Ellison - still playing that kind of energetic football at 40 is incredible. Must be on Bob Martin's or something.

Brave little Salford have been sniffing around after him for a while haven't they?
Probably double his wages knowing that lot !
Good luck to him
Has a young family so you can't blame him, his twitter says he lives in Bath, another long commute

If it's Greeny you're on about, me old china, nearly....he lives in Bracebridge Heath currently.

My thoughts on the match, in only a few words.

God that was cold. Well played chaps. Ellison is a muppet. Please get more urns to churn out hot water for drinks.

I am still thawing out.

Couldn’t care who does or doesn’t where gloves /under shirts, people vary with circulation, best to where what suits them best.

Long sleeve malarky? Long sleeves are much more traditional than the short sleeves. Always used to see long sleeved shirts through the winter.

lincolncity-shoot-1976-06-26.jpg

Last edited:
Great win but looked bloody cold

Was and was. I never buy food at the ground but bought a bag of chips just to hold and keep my hands warm. £3 (£3 bloody pound) was money well spent. They must have the "more than a handful is a waste" phrase on their minds.

Me again. One more point. I was really impressed with us today especially in possession. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I did hear some 'pass it forward' and 'throw it down the line' type comments in the crowd. For me we made intelligent choices today and executed them well - taking an extra pass to get it wide and provide a better ball, moving the ball quickly with one and two touches, playing backwards across the back and pinging it in and out of midfield. It was a higher standard of football than the 'pass it forward' minority can grasp.

Excellent points made here.

I have been very slightly concerned that we were edging back towards a bit of a hoof-ball game in the last couple of months (probably on the back of losing Frecklington as he does such a good job of keeping us ticking over with short, intelligent passes and forward runs). Stevenage last week in poor conditions was probably the best evidence of that. Yes we battled very well, but we hardly created anything and looked to launch long balls from the back at pretty much every opportunity. If we'd lost that 1 or 2 nil - eminently possible given the nature of some of the goals we've conceded from nowhere this season (think Crawley, Oldham and Tranmere), everyone would have been saying what a poor performance it was.

Wind on a week, and in abysmal conditions, we knocked the ball around better than we have since the first couple of months of the season. Long may that continue.

...and can we get Zippy from Rainbow style costumes for the 'get it up there' brigade...? Absolutely clueless.

Ta mate, ,clearly needs updating lol
I'm guessing you and your son left early too?
Running out of hot water isn't good on such a cold day either, good job we won!

No we stayed to the bitterly cold end. Never ever leave early. That's my mantra. He could always be moving down that way hahaha. I'm giving up now and going to become all Library in our own end. Next week I am bringing a Thermos, blanket and the biggest radio I can find, with the longest aerial possible. Hahaha

Of course, another pleasing aspect today was the amount of short sleeved shirts being worn. None of this long sleeve/glove malarkey.
Someone came on with the short sleeve and glove combo, which always baffles me. Might have been Green. Could explain the Salford link, maybe he's been told to man up :LOL:
To be fair, I did say to my mate that I'd have probably wanted gloves, long sleeve shirt (of course) and full Keith Weller.

As so often is the case a commanding half time lead by a side (any side) is bad for the game. Half time gets in the way and it's obvious they're always told not to do anything stupid and play safe.

The problem with that is that you lose your rhythm and once you're in that mindset you can't recapture the same form.

As I'm only looking at ifollow I assumed the wind was down the ground from the South Park end? Although I couldn't be sure as Morecambe had a couple of 40 yard attempts in the first half, which against the wind would have been brave.

Other than the two Smith howlers I don't remember Morecambe causing any alarms up until the well-made and finished goal they scored, so it was comfortable if not the festival it promised to be.

Anderson had his best game of the season giving their defence a hard time throughout, though you have to say there isn't too much finesse about him. A kind of modern-day Tony Galvin.

I would have put the wind as a cross wind, I was certainly getting wet sat half way back in the co-op

Not much too add now I've thawed out.
Greeny throwing his shirt seemed a bit of a farewell gesture but given it's not the last game before the window seems a bit odd. I can't see anyone moving before FA Cup game otherwise would be short of eligible players.
Not sure why Hortin asked Akinde about Harry getting some stick on social media, don't know what he's talking about myself, not something I've noticed, but was a poor question in any case.
Wasn't clear why Morecambe had a goal disallowed, anyone know? I thought Grant just lost the ball