Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons

Interesting comments from Thommo during the match. I feel he is not a fan of the tactics and his comments were telling.

that scout who said what has happened to Lincoln has a point.

if we were a car we are currently in pieces in the garage floor. The question is can Appleton put us back together again. I will be honest and say I doubt it

The same Thommo with the dusty CV that couldn’t get a job within the last 20 years?

Unconditional support for LCFC did not start with the Cowleys nor will end with Michael Appleton. I think you need to understand that.

For many it did though! I've watched the imps through Keith Alexander onwards and many managers in that time didn't inspire the fans to be completely devoted. The Cowleys left us with 6k season ticket holders and I'm sorry but I don't see much willingness from Appleton to do anything about keeping the fans on board. Not saying he's a terrible manager, but it's not too much to ask for him to get about the city, even if it's just a few school visits or something!

For many it did though! I've watched the imps through Keith Alexander onwards and many managers in that time didn't inspire the fans to be completely devoted. The Cowleys left us with 6k season ticket holders and I'm sorry but I don't see much willingness from Appleton to do anything about keeping the fans on board. Not saying he's a terrible manager, but it's not too much to ask for him to get about the city, even if it's just a few school visits or something!

Of all the things the manager - any manager - can be criticised for, this is the least of it.

99% of community engagement comes from having a winning side and although school or hospital visits are a good thing it will hardly convince anyone to turn up to games. At best it reinforces current success. Surely anyone who's been around the block a few times knows this?

Even then it's allied to a certain, fairly rare, personality type like Cowley or Holloway, which is all well and good but it won't work if the football matches are no good, and that's why Millwall supporters (a very community based bunch) didn't take to Holloway, who they despise.

Most support gained in good times is fragile. I should know as I'm a computer screen ifollow re-found fan, the flimsiest of the lot. I don't think I've missed a streamed league game for about two years but I doubt I'll bother if watching games becomes a chore. I don't expect the side to win all their games, I don't even expect them to win half of them.

I actually watch a much better standard in general than this, live, in addition to all the games you can watch on TV if you choose, so I understand the limitations of the level and I expect bad matches, even a run of them. I don't have any intention of giving up yet and I think that things are on the right path. That faith may be misplaced - who knows?

As for being a cheerleader out in the community, if the manager was all over the papers doing that I reckon there would be a large number of people telling him he should be spending more time on the practice field.

We actually did okay in the first half, very sloppy at times, but, we could at least string a couple of passes together. Two golden chances missed again, I was impressed at how far wide Hesketh took his chance.

Second half was woeful, not helped by a ref that awarded any free kick as long as the player went over. Unfortunately, MK learned that much quicker than us! MK dominated the ball and got into some half decent positions, but both teams struggled to generate good chances. You'd have thought looking at the fitness levels that they had the extra day preparation, too many of our players looked tired. I wasn't really sure what the game plan was second half. We pressed sporadically and often as individuals rather than a team, which allowed MK to play out easily. Other than Scully, didn't think the substitutes impacted the game at all, he must be worth a start? The midfield is very imbalanced, we have far too many (small) central midfielders and not enough wingers, even Grant isn't a winger. Because of the height of or starting defensive midfield we lose a lot of second balls.

As has been mentioned, the big concern currently is upcoming season ticket sales. The performances in recent weeks won't encourage floating fans to renew a season ticket shortly after Christmas.

A few positives were Bolger again was defensively very solid, as was Shack, Bridcutt looked fantastic for most of the game (completely disappeared for the final 10), Scully looked good when he came on and we stopped the losing streak.

Whilst I won't deter from the long(er)-term target and model, last night was terrible.

I'm not sold on John-Jules being a future "Arsenal number 9"? Not clinical enough for me and missing too many chances that Premier league standard strikers shouldn't miss at this level.

Jake Hesketh. Not sure why we've kept him past January? Not rated him since he came, and Southampton probably won't have him back. Can see him being released or moved on to L2 in the summer. Not good enough for L1 and that miss, well, he can look at the ground all he wants but there appeared to be no bobble judging by numerous replays of it that I saw?

If we must play with that formation, surely we've got other options with permanents in Grant, Payne, Hopper in that position?

If we're trying to build partnerships between permanents, why not start with Scully and Hopper? Surely MApp has brought them in to play together, and last night could have been a good opportunity, but persisiting with loan players up top isn't cutting it for me. Whilst we're in transition, and the odds of us being relegated is low, this is the time to build, forge relationships and prepare for hitting the ground running next season, not play players that will return to their clubs?

Tyler Walker being recalled has proved to be massive; but underlines our incompetence in front of goal without him.

Won't comment on the back four as I believe all except Edun/Melbourne won't be at SB/LNER come August.

..persisiting with loan players up top isn't cutting it for me..

I agree with lots of what you said in your post but the problem with not playing loan players from the likes of Arsenal and West Ham is if they don't get game time then we run the risk of falling behind in the queue if others are wanted in the future.

At the risk of being cynical, the Cowleys community work was at the end of the day a recruitment drive to get bums on seats, if Mapp does similar and visits schools, where are we going to put the latest batch of kids and family? If you cast your mind back far enough to when we used to play football on a Saturday afternoon then that part of the ground allocated to family's is full. Whilst it's wonderful to see the next generation of imps being encouraged, I've no doubt the revenue bought in is less than can be achieved by general admission, so perhaps Mapp is under instruction not to push that side of things until we have the capacity to deal with it.

Puzzled by Hopper.
Hasn't got a sparkling record at clubs before us.
3 1/2 year deal?
And so far has shown zero on the pitch.
(Unlike others).
Hopper will be the new whipping boy by the sounds of it (not aimed just at you). Ask Southend and Scunthorpe fans about him and they'll rave about him. No doubt the fee will continue to be brought up even though it was reported as 'worth' rather than a straight fee.

We already have people judging him coming into a club who made nearly 20 moves in the transfer market in 31 days. People were slagging of Pett two years ago he was arguably one of our best performers for the first months of the following season. Looked a completely different player to the one that didn't get going in the second half of the previous season.

Also worth noting that DC/NC had a reason to go out and about with 3 trophies in 3 years. I can't remember too much going on that was out of the ordinary in the first season - it was the results and FA Cup run that drove that.

DC in particular was very good with the media but outside of the trophy tours and the standard hospital visits was there much? He was known for dropping messages to people on Twitter who'd been in hospital or something, or writing them letters, but that wouldn't have driven a Club - they were just personal touches.

Though

Thought Scully injected some life into the side and should of come on sooner for me. Odd comment that one.

If those prefer to watch football behind a glass screen so be it, that’s not a football fan for me. But each to their own.

Some of us don’t have any choice, but 50 years supporting the Imps and flying from Australia to see the team at Wembley as well as investing in various ways entitles me to an opinion from behind the glass screen, well I think so.

I remember when Hopper signed it was noted that he's the sort of striker who tends to do the donkey work and allow others to grab the glory. If that proves to be the case, then I'll be happy with that, it's a team game after all. But certainly too early to judge him.

As permanent signings though, I am surprised that Hopper & Scully aren't starting games. I do like John-Jules. He's young, enthusiastic and exciting and he's definitely got goals in him. But we have to be careful not to become too reliant on a loan striker (as we did with Walker). I would even be happy if JJ committed to a full season loan next year - assuming the player and club still regard us as an attractive proposition of course!

I notice there's already talk on this forum about the need for a good shake up in the summer transfer market. I disagree. A couple of tweaks maybe, but we really need to be settling down as a team not tearing it all up and starting again every half season.

I've been as frustrated as anyone about some of the wayward passing of late, but I've noticed in the last couple of games in particular, that some of the movement off the ball required to receive the pass has not been good. Clearly the players aren't reading each other's game as well as they could do at the moment, but one assumes that will improve with time.

We still need the experience of Bostwick, Shackell & Eardley. All three are still quality players in my book

Finally we need to finish the season on a high so that players and fans go into the summer break with a feeling of optimism for next season

Constructive criticism is fine, but some of the comments on here are absolutely shameful. Quite how anyone can boo the players (and vicariously the club) is simply beyond my comprehension.

If you are unable to understand that the club is changing its business model and the reasons why, try reading through it all again. If you are unable to understand that those changes will take time to implement successfully, you are going to be very disappointed. If you don't like what is happening, go and do something else. Tell everyone what a dedicated supporter you used to be.

Alternatively, perhaps some bright spark would like to explain what the alternative is: start with who you would like as manager; tell us which players you would sign; and move on to what tactics you would play.

Finish by explaining to us how you would fund it all.

Also worth noting that DC/NC had a reason to go out and about with 3 trophies in 3 years. I can't remember too much going on that was out of the ordinary in the first season - it was the results and FA Cup run that drove that.

DC in particular was very good with the media but outside of the trophy tours and the standard hospital visits was there much? He was known for dropping messages to people on Twitter who'd been in hospital or something, or writing them letters, but that wouldn't have driven a Club - they were just personal touches.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/danny-cowley-talks-rebuilding-lincoln-city/