Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons

we might be playing out from the back with short goal kicks, but one option we use is to give it to bolger... he then takes a few steps and launches it in the air. or bolger passes to eardley, who often plays the winger's nightmare ball... in the air, tight, down the touchline. it is not really a high percentage of passing football on the ground from the back.
another issue is we are often playing 2 v 3 central midfielders, so when shackell and bolger get it, they can very rarely put a short pass along the ground into our [outnumbered] midfield.
the passing from the back breaks down pretty quickly. quite often, when watching on ifollow we have a goal kick, by the time the ifollow replay has finished, the opposition have the ball again in our half.

there was a passage of passing play in the rotherham game, where we controlled the game for about 90 seconds, had a couple of attacks. switched play. pulled the opposition out of shape a bit. picked up the clearances. attacked again. ending with the anderson chance. showing the possible benefits. i keep expecting it to click, and see an increase of examples of this kind of control of the game. uti

Why are we not just playing an extra central midfielder if its that simple? We have quite a few or them.

Waited a day to post anything and to have a more measured post than if I posted last night. Just some general comments.

How do fans expect players react to pulling on the red and white? They either ignore the managers game plan, don't play out from the back and risk a MA bollocking/ get dropped from the team OR they play out from the back and get jeered by large sections of the Co-op. Who on earth would want to play in front of us at the moment. Last night was embarrassing and showed we have quickly morphed into a standard football crowd- intolerant (unless winning), fickle, embarrassing and counter productive.

The pitch is a dog's dinner (I guess from the flooding) and is not conducive to how we want to play.

Last night was two teams, in the lower half of L1, showing why they are in the lower half of L1. Some good passages of play and some periods which felt very frenetic and unstructured and some general lower levels of quality.

Another game where we have NOT conceded from open play but from a set-piece. Shows a strong resilient defence to restrict goals from open play but we need to work on giving away free kicks in the final third ( or rather not giving them away).

Great Bridcutt goal (interesting how he celebrated on the opposite side to the Co-op- don't really blame him) and two great opportunities to score but which we didn't convert.

We played deep last night- much deeper than against the Millers. Seemed to be a game plan (as they played out from the back, playing deep prevents them from creating opportunities between our back four and midfield). Again, the crowd just didn't understand this was part of the game plan and became edgy and agitated.

Crowd reaction influences players- MA mentioned it in his post match. We are about to have our highest league finish since 1984 (from my calculations- someone tell me differently please if I'm wrong) after a season where

We have lost our manager six league games into the season
A new manager has inherited a team which does not have the ability to play to the managers style
We are £2.24 million pound in the red for 18/19 and therefore £3 million+ in the red by the time the January transfer window arrives
We have had to offload high earning players and replace them with younger, most cost effective players

Everyone has a right to an opinion but everyone needs to decide if the voicing of that opinion is more important than supporting the club in a transitional year. Last night show how selfish we are as a crowd and put our own subjective vocal views ahead of the team needs as they learn.

Carry on and we'll become less attractive as a loan club and less appealing to players to come in. Our choice, our future. Win together, lose together, stay together. If not, then we'll be back at Moss Rose, Abbey Stadium and Blunders park before you can shake a stick.

Waited a day to post anything and to have a more measured post than if I posted last night. Just some general comments.

How do fans expect players react to pulling on the red and white? They either ignore the managers game plan, don't play out from the back and risk a MA bollocking/ get dropped from the team OR they play out from the back and get jeered by large sections of the Co-op. Who on earth would want to play in front of us at the moment. Last night was embarrassing and showed we have quickly morphed into a standard football crowd- intolerant (unless winning), fickle, embarrassing and counter productive.

The pitch is a dog's dinner (I guess from the flooding) and is not conducive to how we want to play.

Last night was two teams, in the lower half of L1, showing why they are in the lower half of L1. Some good passages of play and some periods which felt very frenetic and unstructured and some general lower levels of quality.

Another game where we have NOT conceded from open play but from a set-piece. Shows a strong resilient defence to restrict goals from open play but we need to work on giving away free kicks in the final third ( or rather not giving them away).

Great Bridcutt goal (interesting how he celebrated on the opposite side to the Co-op- don't really blame him) and two great opportunities to score but which we didn't convert.

We played deep last night- much deeper than against the Millers. Seemed to be a game plan (as they played out from the back, playing deep prevents them from creating opportunities between our back four and midfield). Again, the crowd just didn't understand this was part of the game plan and became edgy and agitated.

Crowd reaction influences players- MA mentioned it in his post match. We are about to have our highest league finish since 1984 (from my calculations- someone tell me differently please if I'm wrong) after a season where

A new manager has inherited a team which does not have the ability to play to the managers style
We are £2.24 million pound in the red for 18/19 and therefore £3 million+ in the red by the time the January transfer window arrives
We have had to offload high earning players and replace them with younger, most cost effective players

Everyone has a right to an opinion but everyone needs to decide if the voicing of that opinion is more important than supporting the club in a transitional year. Last night show how selfish we are as a crowd and put our own subjective vocal views ahead of the team needs as they learn.

Carry on and we'll become less attractive as a loan club and less appealing to players to come in. Our choice, our future. Win together, lose together, stay together. If not, then we'll be back at Moss Rose, Abbey Stadium and Blunders park before you can shake a stick.

Great post 👍

Seconded...
Now is the time when we find out if those trite meaningless social media phrases the fans and the club trotted out during the rise up the leagues actually meant anything or were just the braying sound of a bunch of donkeys mindlessly jumping on a bandwagon so they could have "Hits", "Likes", "Subscribes" and "Blogs". I'm thinking in particular of hashtags like #ImpsasOne and #ProudtobeImps.

The club deserve (and have earned the right in my opinion) to have some time to implement their plans, since it seems to be the only time in our history we actually seem to have a plan on how to keep our heads above water in this league and I really think this is the time to start repaying some of the fantastic times we've been given by the club staff over the last 3 years with just a smidgeon of patience and understanding.

We've been absolutely spoilt rotten over the last 3 years, let's show we've not been ruined by it as a fanbase...

Seconded...
Now is the time when we find out if those trite meaningless social media phrases the fans and the club trotted out during the rise up the leagues actually meant anything or were just the braying sound of a bunch of donkeys mindlessly jumping on a bandwagon so they could have "Hits", "Likes", "Subscribes" and "Blogs". I'm thinking in particular of hashtags like #ImpsasOne and #ProudtobeImps.

The club deserve (and have earned the right in my opinion) to have some time to implement their plans, since it seems to be the only time in our history we actually seem to have a plan on how to keep our heads above water in this league and I really think this is the time to start repaying some of the fantastic times we've been given by the club staff over the last 3 years with just a smidgeon of patience and understanding.

We've been absolutely spoilt rotten over the last 3 years, let's show we've not been ruined by it as a fanbase...
:clap::clap:

Not at my laptop so can't back this up but seem to remember that apart from some freak results we were pretty shambolic early doors under the Cowleys this season. We were also using the same 'goal kick' tactic. And when they left, many commented that it was probably the best time for them to do so because leaving it would have reduced their worth due to a season of struggle. McCombe takes over and can achieve the sum of feck all with what the Cowleys left. We are higher in the league than we have been for years. We are in a league where we are, at best, a middling team. We are better off points wise than our fellow promotees. Some people need to develop some perspective.

That’s a very reasoned post. Unfortunately from my trawling of social media the chances of the kind of people who seem to shout the loudest of understanding this seem to be very slim

Terrible. A relegation type of performance.

No tempo, no passion, weak all over the pitch and we could still be playing and not have created a chance.

The sub is a workhorse who hasn't a goal in him

No fight, no attacking intent and no quality

We haven't signed a winger who can start, leaving us with 1 in the whole squad

Why are we playing our most creative midfielder again on the left wing?

Defensively that was pathetic. This is basic, basic schoolboy stuff, which has either not been coached into them well enough, or they are not capable of doing it.

We needed a change in tactics and shape, and what we got was just swap the player for the same and hope things improved.

It really is **** to watch, disjointed, clueless, tactically inept, negative and just plain boring at times. But that also applies to a fair few of our wins too

If I posted that I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me on all points. Except that's off the Huddersfield Town board tonight. And I know I've done exactly that before but to me it just shows how knee-jerk many people are. One man's genius is another's tactical buffoon.

No tempo, no passion, weak all over the pitch and we could still be playing and not have created a chance.

Defensively that was pathetic. This is basic, basic schoolboy stuff, which has either not been coached into them well enough, or they are not capable of doing it.

We needed a change in tactics and shape, and what we got was just swap the player for the same and hope things improved.

It really is **** to watch, disjointed, clueless, tactically inept, negative and just plain boring at times. But that also applies to a fair few of our wins too

If I posted that I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me on all points. Except that's off the Huddersfield Town board tonight. And I know I've done exactly that before but to me it just shows how knee-jerk many people are. One man's genius is another's tactical buffoon.
Just put the lifted bit in quotes

Not happy then ??

I just enjoy watching the Imps, even when it’s disappointing, frustrating, or just testing the patience like nothing else could. As many have said, we’re destined for our highest finish for many a year and repositioning for a better season next up. Would just like to get 2 or 3 wins under the belt to take the pressure off!

Not at my laptop so can't back this up but seem to remember that apart from some freak results we were pretty shambolic early doors under the Cowleys this season. We were also using the same 'goal kick' tactic. And when they left, many commented that it was probably the best time for them to do so because leaving it would have reduced their worth due to a season of struggle. McCombe takes over and can achieve the sum of feck all with what the Cowleys left. We are higher in the league than we have been for years. We are in a league where we are, at best, a middling team. We are better off points wise than our fellow promotees. Some people need to develop some perspective.
Exactly.
Some of our wins early on were "lucky". We were playing the same way and got caught out numerous times in practically every game I saw. As much as DC/NC did for us, we weren't doing massively better at this level under them any more than we are currently. The main difference is that we are doing so with a smaller wage bill, and we aren't hearing the manager discuss his budget after every game.
Good luck to Danny and Nicky, but more to Michael. I think they had reached the end of the road with us and the current manager will turn out much more suited to where we are heading (and that isn't back to L2!).

Why, are they playing hoofball? :LOL:

Thanks for brightening my lunchtime. I was going to have a look but I'm short of time and will catch up later.