Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons

Soft free kick & Josh could have done better
Great equaliser
Missed 2 sitters
2nd half none event
2nd viewing of Scully now realise he’s a headless chicken
Only positive how many season ticket holders took option like my daughter to stay warm and pay £10 for ifollow
I’m bloody freezing
Lewington is a nob

Much is made that we have a plan under Appleton but plans don’t always work out. I happen to think Appleton is a good manager but our club and football in general tends to show that a manager who follows a successful incumbent rarely succeeds. Sorry I know I’m a plastic for saying this.

True plastics are panicking because we haven't won for several games and aren't now in contention for the play-offs and you raise important points.

The record of managers following a successful one at Lincoln is truly dire which is why the club has never sustained progress through succession - Anderson to Moulson, Taylor to Kerr, Murphy to Pickering all failed spectacularly.

That's the challenge for the board and the manager this time around. I happen to think that the quality of both with prevail, but it will not happen overnight.

The price of success has been the need to change the method by which it was achieved and the loss of the management team who achieved that success, unwilling to adapt to the new business plan which if successful can continue the next stage of the club's progress in a way which is sustainable for the level we are now at, competing with Sunderland and Ipswich instead of Solihull and North F*ing Ferriby.

Appleton was specifically appointed to execute the new business plan and has the skills to do so. But football is a cruel mistress and if this time next year we are in a relegation fight his tenure may be at risk. But not before, those already saying he should go or we are now as bad as before the Cowleys were appointed, they are the true plastics and really need a reality check.

Perhaps playing out from the back looks good in training on those nice training pitches up @Scampton. However, Sincil Bank is a very different pitch, increasingly the players don’t appear to be comfortable with playing that system, whether that be nerves, pressure or confidence not sure. One thing is for sure, that it’s head in your hands time every time we do it.
The pitch didn’t seem effect MK Dons especially in the first half.

The pitch didn’t seem effect MK Dons especially in the first half.

Crikey, they played well for the first 20 minutes after that they were giving it away all over the place.

City had a good 15 minute spell following the goal when there was some confidence in the side. The half time break must have knocked it out of both teams because after that it was dreadful - windy conditions and bouncy pitch playing their part, but it's in conditions like those when you get to see who is a truly good player.

There was maybe one on each side.

However, writing new signings off after they've had 100 or so minutes on the pitch is typical fan over-reaction. Fan - not supporter.

Frustrating listening to Appleton talk about a tense atmosphere in the stadium and how it affected the players. My tips:

1) Stop asking players who are incapable of playing out from the back to play out from the back. It either results in us giving the opposition the ball or us coming under pressure and then whacking it long anyway. Fans are going to be frustrated watching the same failed process again and again.
2) Build a relationship with the fans. Yes, the majority of the fans are there because of the success we had, but they also came because the Cowleys put a hell of a lot of work into getting involved in the community. You can't just expect unconditional support if you don't give anything back.
3) Don't expect fans to completely have faith in the system when all our games seem to end up with three forwards playing in random positions at the end of a game.
4) Don't bring in players for £150k (and presumably on high wages) when they offer as little as Tom Hopper.

Unconditional support for LCFC did not start with the Cowleys nor will end with Michael Appleton. I think you need to understand that.

A point better off tonight than Southend and Bolton whilst Tranmere made no gain (for those of a nervous disposition).

We would be feeling much different if we had taken either of those gilt edged chances.

Another match in the bank for our young players.

Looking forward to renewing my season ticket in a few days time.

MK Dons manager also mentioned the edgy crowd and was something he pointed out to his players prior to the match.

Their pratting about at the back looked more likely to end in disaster than ours, especially in the first half.

Tonight was a perfect example from both teams of why passing out from the back is a terrible tactic at this level. And unfortunately our young lads will have to get used to dealing with the crowd on their backs if Mapp persists with it , and i cant see it changing. Its the only criticism i have of Mapp, i totally buy into the new transition ideolgy but will never be happy watching us put ourselves under pressure at the back.

Perhaps playing out from the back looks good in training on those nice training pitches up @Scampton. However, Sincil Bank is a very different pitch, increasingly the players don’t appear to be comfortable with playing that system, whether that be nerves, pressure or confidence not sure. One thing is for sure, that it’s head in your hands time every time we do it.
Why were they watering the pitch before the game?

A few thoughts from me.

We didn't play as well as against Rotherham but if we'd been able to put the ball in the net we'd have had the game won by half time.

John-Jules is at least getting nearer to a goal - hitting the bar instead of putting the ball over the top.

Hesketh's miss was even worse than the one at Ipswich in the FA Cup game. I was hoping Scully would replace him for the second half - surely he'd be worth starting in that position?

Edun did well at left back, and I wonder if he'll be the one to replace Morrell with Melbourne recalled.

Puzzled by Hopper.
Hasn't got a sparkling record at clubs before us.
3 1/2 year deal?
And so far has shown zero on the pitch.
(Unlike others).

I actually thought hopper won most of the headers he went for, when he came on and flicked a nice header through.. he’s not match fit and has been off with an injury - time needed.

bolger and shack just need to give a simple ball to a midfielder who can pass.. I remember when JS signed one of his former teams fans said “great defender, just hope he doesn’t try his flash diag balls to often”.

Scully must start next game, he’s looked positive in both cameos and willing to run at the opposition.

Patience is required to allow this team to develop and play together. The premature speculation that we could sneak into the play off places around Christmas has evaporated and I don't care if we limp along until the end of the season as long as we are safe from relegation.
The second half was a frustrating game to watch, littered with soft fouls and misplaced passes by both team, neither team really got going. We had our chances to get a much needed win but just couldn't manage a bit of composure in front of goal.
Fortunately the chasing teams below us on the table made no gains.
It will be a real bonus when we finally get Bossie back on the field, his huge presence is needed to drive the team on.

I'd be very happy to be corrected, but in what I assume to be 20-25 games, Hesketh has just one goal and one assist. Why on earth is Appleton persisting with him?

In his last game in what we think is his best position behind the striker, Jack Payne scored in what was a dominant away performance in the first half at Wimbledon. At half-time, Grant got hooked and Payne got moved to the left in favour of Hesketh, and we gradually lost control of the match and ended up drawing.

I've never rated Hesketh, but the final straw was his shank into the South Park Stand last night. Payne MUST be given another opportunity if we're going to play with an attacking midfielder in support of the striker.

I'm well behind Appleton long-term, but I hope he understands that fans will be very frustrated by players being completely frozen out of the side in favour of loanees who are simply not as good. I've already laid out the case for Payne, but if Appleton really thinks Coventry is better than Pett, Frecklington or Chapman, then that is a bit of a concern.

Though
Soft free kick & Josh could have done better
Great equaliser
Missed 2 sitters
2nd half none event
2nd viewing of Scully now realise he’s a headless chicken
Only positive how many season ticket holders took option like my daughter to stay warm and pay £10 for ifollow
I’m bloody freezing
Lewington is a nob

Thought Scully injected some life into the side and should of come on sooner for me. Odd comment that one.

If those prefer to watch football behind a glass screen so be it, that’s not a football fan for me. But each to their own.

Yeh employ a manager after the transfer window closes and give him a 3 season target and then think you’re witnessing the finished article after a 31 day transfer window and no pre-season. Sounds right.

keep telling yourself it will be ok. We will need 30 years not 3 on that evidence.

You cant make silk purses out of sows ears

Interesting comments from Thommo during the match. I feel he is not a fan of the tactics and his comments were telling.

that scout who said what has happened to Lincoln has a point.

if we were a car we are currently in pieces in the garage floor. The question is can Appleton put us back together again. I will be honest and say I doubt it

He has said the team and squad will be totally different next season. This time next year is the time to judge.

Can I point out this is Lincoln City we are watching.