Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town

We were lacklustre, but can we also give a bit of recognition to Ipswich's right back - 44, I think (he's far left on the pic of the Poole offside)? Thought he was absolutely terrific. Snuffed out most of the balls we were trying to play to Scully and/or Bramall. Was a yard quicker just because of his concentration/anticipation. He was my Man Of The Match.

The expectation’s of both these clubs fans far exceed ours too, let’s remember that.

Ipswich are playing at a level equivalent to our National League days, and Rotherham yo-yo regularly between Tiers 2 and 3. 5 out of the last 8 seasons at that higher level in fact.

For 80% of the time in the last 60 years we have finished lower in the league than Shrewsbury Town. Perspective.

Offside is given where the player touches the ball, not where the player was standing when the ball was kicked. The linesman gave the offside from in line with where Poole kicked the ball into the goal.
Yes - would help if I had read the offside law.
No wonder Clanford was confused.

Whilst I'm sure we'd all like to see a 2nd Division game before we die, it does make me wonder what those who think promotion was "blown" would make of it?

Despite my belief that it's better to try and play well, there's no joy to be had in losing every week - let alone losing badly - and that's what would happen with a 95% probability.

What some of the forum members would make of it, I shudder to think.

I agree, we didn’t actually ‘blow it’ either, because we had a 2nd chance in the Play-off Final, with a gift of a first minute oggy.
Jorge Grant getting injured at Plymouth was the turning point for me, because we were as good if not better than Hull & Posh.

Hundred percent agree. Plymouth was a turning point and it felt like that at the time. If Hopper had bagged that chance to make it 4-2 and Grant hadn't got injured we may have gone on to win the title. That's football though, all clubs can cite one game or incident that define their fortunes for several years either for good or bad.

Only listened to second half yesterday but sounded poor match.

I don’t expect us to be world beaters but don’t expect us to be relegated (that said I think we will be nearer to 21st then 1st).

I can remember ipswich in the premier league and in Europe. I can also remember a certain Nathan Arnold scoring the winner and the place erupting. On the radio at final whistle the Ipswich fans sounded like imps fans from 2016.

have they fallen or have we risen? I suspect we have met in the middle

Wasn’t impressed with Ipswich, they looked nothing like how decent Rotherham were even though it’s hard to judge two totally different games.

We really struggled to create any good chances and break them down especially in the second half with everyone behind the ball. You could tell with all the time wasting and tactics we were going to struggle to get many chances, and with the wayward passes and final ball delivery it was a very frustrating watch.

Having said all that, a mid table finish for us wouldn’t be a bad position in this league as it’s definitely a tougher ask this season.

Yes - The linesman stood with his flag up about 5 metres nearer the goal than where the offside(if it was one) took place.
Look at the 2 minute highlights.

In other words he hadn't got a clue if it was offside.

He thought if was 5yards nearer the goal than it was.

Nothing to do with where Poole's shoulder or feet might be.

My and other peoples opinion on whether he was offside were based on the evidence of the line on the cut of the pitch.
I understand what you are saying now which is that the lino wasn't in line with the incident so he was basicly guessing!
On what you are saying my opinion is that he got lucky on this occasion and that Poole was very marginally offside.

How we missed someone like Johnson yesterday. No-one in the side has his pace and self confidence, and probably skill, to take on multiple players and break down defences. We have been battered twice this season: v Oxford and Rotherham, but yesterday we did the battering. The big difference was that Oxford and Rotherham created numerous excellent goal scoring chances but we did not.

We have lost to a goal from an unfair first half push, but still had an hour to right that wrong. The move for Poole’s “goal“ was virtually the only quick bit of football we played during that hour. It was a poor watch, and by half time the score already had a certain inevitability about it. This was reflected in the crowd noise.

No knee jerk reaction, just reality; we need to be quicker and more creative at home. My expectation is for a mid table (12-14) end to the season but hope for better. There’s nothing wrong with having positive hope.

Absolutely right, the way Appleton wants to play we need pacey wingers like Johnson and Rodgers. Unfortunately these aren't run of the mill league 1 players and are both now playing regularly in the championship. To iterate, they both held a position in favour of Scully! We thought we had Whittaker to fill that role, but unfortunately Swansea pulled the plug on that one.

We deserved at least a point I thought. But then
didn’t deserve anything against Rotherham.

Definitely a foul on Eyoma. Can’t believe some saying otherwise. If your mid air and someone comes from behind with hands in your back then it’s a foul. Hopper gets about 4 free kicks a game for what happened to Eyoma.

I was pretty in line with Poole goal and thought he was on. Think lino looked where their left back is not the centre half.

Seems to be that final bit at the moment. Need to get the final ball right.

N’Lundulu had some good touches when he came on, do wonder why we’ve not seen more of him.

Any idea why there were no ball retrieval persons yesterday. Trying to be PC their!!!!. Could have cut down the minutes it took the Ipswich keeper to saunter about fetching the ball!

To be competitive towards the top of this league, we’re in need of a Johnson type player who can unlock defences. Otherwise, relatively tight margins may continue to cost us against the better teams in the league (of which I believe Ipswich will be one).

We’re not entitled to beat Ipswich and it just shows how far we’ve come when most people on the pre match thread predicted a win!

To compete each year, I suspect that our fortunes will rely upon that bit of luck each season in the transfer market where last season the stars aligned when we brought in both Rogers and Johnson.

I think we’d all be pleased to remain in the league this season and that has to be the first goal. After that and with every other season, anything more is a bonus.

I understand the frustration others have after we struggled to stretch Ipswich like we did last season - that was a joy to watch and we all wish that could be replicated every season. Given time, I’m sure we will compete again - we just need a big dollop of patience and the aspiration and belief that we can compete at the top of this league.

Definitely a foul on Eyoma. Can’t believe some saying otherwise. If your mid air and someone comes from behind with hands in your back then it’s a foul. Hopper gets about 4 free kicks a game for what happened to Eyoma.

I'm guilty of being one of those saying it wasn't a foul, but not worth arguing over at the end of the day. Just ignore me if you don't agree - I'm used to that from my kids.

But, since you bring Hopper into it, I thought we all knew full well that while he wins 4 free kicks a game, at least 3 of those are all his own work, no? ;)

Offside is given where the player touches the ball, not where the player was standing when the ball was kicked.

That statement seems to be at odds with this part of Law 11 on the FA website-

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or...
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

I understand it's the law of the game but it always strikes me as ridiculous that the free kick is taken where the player becomes active when they can be 10 yards inside their own half. That's not the place where they were when they were in an offside position, only when they became active.

It's only a small matter but I just think it sits better if the freekick is taken from where they were originally in an offside position.

I've watched 4 home league games this season where we have played slow, boring, uninspired football with little excitement or goal threat. Even 2nd half today, with the higher percentage of possession we never really looked like scoring, we even managed to silence a usually vociferous crowd. You're obviously happy with that, I'm not.
MAP needs a plan B tactic for home games as this system clearly dont work at home

To be competitive towards the top of this league, we’re in need of a Johnson type player who can unlock defences. Otherwise, relatively tight margins may continue to cost us against the better teams in the league (of which I believe Ipswich will be one).

We’re not entitled to beat Ipswich and it just shows how far we’ve come when most people on the pre match thread predicted a win!

To compete each year, I suspect that our fortunes will rely upon that bit of luck each season in the transfer market where last season the stars aligned when we brought in both Rogers and Johnson.

I think we’d all be pleased to remain in the league this season and that has to be the first goal. After that and with every other season, anything more is a bonus.

I understand the frustration others have after we struggled to stretch Ipswich like we did last season - that was a joy to watch and we all wish that could be replicated every season. Given time, I’m sure we will compete again - we just need a big dollop of patience and the aspiration and belief that we can compete at the top of this league.

Good post. Sums it up for me.

Offside is given where the player touches the ball, not where the player was standing when the ball was kicked. The linesman gave the offside from in line with where Poole kicked the ball into the goal.
I know I’ve been out of the country for 16 years but when did the rule change about ‘where the player touches the ball, not where the player was standing when the ball was kicked’. Sounds a bit convoluted & potentially confusing. Offside used to be so simple - ‘level or behind the last defender when the pass was made’. Now we have several elements (eg, interfering with play, directly involved, etc).