Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town

I’m sorry but I really don’t get this happy clapping stuff. Last season was a once in my lifetime chance for us to play in the second tier albeit for perhaps one season We blew it and I don’t think it will happen again in my remaining years. I think we all need to accept that staying in this league is our measure of success rather than fantasising about automatic promotion or the play offs.
Absolutely correct, said pretty much the same to Notty on the Derby County thread about an hour ago.

In that case I would say the lino got it right.
He was marginally offside.
Interestingly, while you are drawing imaginary lines along the 5m wide cuts of the grass and wondering if it's feet or shoulders that cross that line.

The linesman gave off side on the next cut 5m nearer the goal.

So he's working a bit more approximately than the rest of us!!

In other words how you judge offside is whether the linesman put his flag up or not.

It is a perplexing game this football, against Rotherham how did we manage to salvage a point after being battered and then fail to get something out of the Ipswich game? It was a frustrating game against Ipswich where the little things went against us, the clear foul on TJ for their goal and the marginal offside for Regan Poole and what I thought was surely his first goal for the club.
The crowds number at home games are pleasing at least and it would be good to give all who attend something to shout about.
The game next weekend against Burton should be interesting between two teams a little out of sorts at the moment.

Interestingly, while you are drawing imaginary lines along the 5m wide cuts of the grass and wondering if it's feet or shoulders that cross that line.

In other words how you judge offside is whether the linesman put his flag up or not.

Would you like to convert the above into some sort of message i can understand.

Havnt got a clue what your on about.

Would you like to convert the above into some sort of message i can understand.

Havnt got a clue what your on about.
Yes - The linesman stood with his flag up about 5 metres nearer the goal than where the offside(if it was one) took place.
Look at the 2 minute highlights.

In other words he hadn't got a clue if it was offside.

He thought if was 5yards nearer the goal than it was.

Nothing to do with where Poole's shoulder or feet might be.

This forum is far more interesting when we lose. It makes me realise there are an awful lot of people who seem to know **** all about football. It's not as obvious when we win because most just get generally carried away but it all seeps out after a bad result.

For example, that was a much better showing than in midweek when we were, effectively, battered and got a point we didn't deserve.

Today we probably deserved a point and got nothing, but that's the way it goes,

I really don't understand what expectation levels are? The club is playing beyond its historic standing of the past 60 years having looked like it may never even get back in the league again, with players of a standard those going to games five years ago couldn't have dreamed about.

For all the frustrations of certain performances and results, this is a good side with a very good coach.

I'd sooner watch a team try to play good, forward-thinking football, even if it doesn't come off some of the time, rather than just one that concentrates on squeezing out results by fair means or foul. Nobody who wants the latter, except in exceptional circumstances, really likes football at all. Those sort of supporters may as well follow the game by text message.

This place, like most football forums to be honest, is absolutely full of spoilt brats.
Good post.

I agree with some that we turned in a below par performance, particularly in midfield, but we battered their penalty area in the second half, just without effect. The thing that stood out for me, on reflection, was that basically Ipswich choked the life out of the game in the second half. When you look at large sections of the play in the second half they often had nine men in the final third (& occasionally ten) and we just didn’t have the craft to get the ball through such a congested area because our midfield and strikers were choked out of it, apart from playing slightly below par. The question is, was that down to us playing badly or Ipswich just doing a professional job (ably supported by a useless set of officials). Just have to accept it and move on. Be interesting to see how we get on in the next two (away) games given our style of play 🤔

Two decisions in the Ipswich game gave us 4 from 9 yet could have been 7 from 9 . That's how small the margins are. We got great value from the loans last year but seems the prem teams are sending more out now ? We can't expect to get them all or always the best different players different loans pay systems etc. Last year was exceptional Ma is rebuilding again takes time

The next two away games are really important we really need a win and a draw to get our season going as it looks like we are not going to win many home games this season on the games played so fat.

How we missed someone like Johnson yesterday. No-one in the side has his pace and self confidence, and probably skill, to take on multiple players and break down defences. We have been battered twice this season: v Oxford and Rotherham, but yesterday we did the battering. The big difference was that Oxford and Rotherham created numerous excellent goal scoring chances but we did not.

We have lost to a goal from an unfair first half push, but still had an hour to right that wrong. The move for Poole’s “goal“ was virtually the only quick bit of football we played during that hour. It was a poor watch, and by half time the score already had a certain inevitability about it. This was reflected in the crowd noise.

No knee jerk reaction, just reality; we need to be quicker and more creative at home. My expectation is for a mid table (12-14) end to the season but hope for better. There’s nothing wrong with having positive hope.

For me, it just seems a bit too easy to "stop us playing".

We've seen 2 teams do this in the last 2 games in different ways. Rotherham through physicality and an effective press, Ipswich by being well organised and packing the defence.

Very different, both effective. The second, arguably, could be implemented by any team in L1 coming to SB.

Points of interest before I catch up on the thread...

Poole's 'goal' looked very tight from my position. I can't say I was surprised to see the flag go up to be honest but wonder what the consensus is on it

Maguire going off in the first half. From my vantage point on the other side of the ground he didn't look injured and went and sat in the dugout. Tactical or confirmed as a knock??

I'm in Block 2 in the Coop and he looked onside to me. Someone behind me said he came back from an offside position, but the video says otherwise.

To defend montsma a little bit here, I think when he looked up a lot of the time he had Bridcutt being screened by an Ipswich player and then two centre mids miles away, with very little on other than giving the ball to a full back (not in space). Sometimes the Hollywood ball made more sense than giving it to a team mate under loads of pressure
I thought most of Montsma’s long range passes reached their intended target …. blimey, at least they’re not Grant Brown style hoofs!!!!

Offside is given where the player touches the ball, not where the player was standing when the ball was kicked. The linesman gave the offside from in line with where Poole kicked the ball into the goal.

We've seen 2 teams do this in the last 2 games in different ways. Rotherham through physicality and an effective press, Ipswich by being well organised and packing the defence.

Very different, both effective. The second, arguably, could be implemented by any team in L1 coming to SB.
And any of them at home, were they of the mind to do so. Arguably, a struggling side may well try to. That swift ball movement of last season seems to be missing, Cambridge aside. Replaced by a very deliberate safe and sideways shift. The last 2 games, when we've moved it quickly we've scored and had one disallowed. First half yesterday, we were trying down the left and look like we might create something, but it didn't last.
On their goal. A few are saying it was a clear foul. I didn't hear one grumble about it around me. Sitting at the back of the Co-op, about 10-15 yards into the half, everyone just accepted that Bonne got the jump on TJ. Perhaps the new allowance for a bit of physicality now means a player is able to be stronger than his opponent? Pretty sure if we scored that goal there would be tears on here were it ruled out.

I’m sorry but I really don’t get this happy clapping stuff. Last season was a once in my lifetime chance for us to play in the second tier albeit for perhaps one season We blew it and I don’t think it will happen again in my remaining years. I think we all need to accept that staying in this league is our measure of success rather than fantasising about automatic promotion or the play offs.

I agree, we didn’t actually ‘blow it’ either, because we had a 2nd chance in the Play-off Final, with a gift of a first minute oggy.
Jorge Grant getting injured at Plymouth was the turning point for me, because we were as good if not better than Hull & Posh.

The expectation’s of both these clubs fans far exceed ours too, let’s remember that.

Ipswich are playing at a level equivalent to our National League days, and Rotherham yo-yo regularly between Tiers 2 and 3. 5 out of the last 8 seasons at that higher level in fact.