Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town

I know I’ve been out of the country for 16 years but when did the rule change about ‘where the player touches the ball, not where the player was standing when the ball was kicked’. Sounds a bit convoluted & potentially confusing. Offside used to be so simple - ‘level or behind the last defender when the pass was made’. Now we have several elements (eg, interfering with play, directly involved, etc).

A few years or so now maybe more. If you look at any highlights and the flag goes up two hours after, you’ll be in the new rule zone.

Thoughts on yesterday
4 changes again, it really can't help the constant changes, yes I know they made 5.
The pace of our play is definite concern but I do think we have the players who can play the game quicker but we are using them properly.
Not keen on playing it along then the big booming cross field ball which was easily picked off, need to try something else.
There are reasons for optimism too IMHO, Fiorini and Adelukan are improving with every game.
Hooper needs more help.
Wasn't great yesterday but compared with the utter garbage I've seen in the recent past and I'll hang fire on calling for the manager to go as some where around me, it was literally like being back in February 2020, bizarre!

[QUOTE="...rule change about ‘where the player touches the ball, not where the player was standing when the ball was kicked’. [/QUOTE]

I don't think he iss saying a player is only offside when he touches/receives the pass rather than when the pass is played. He is saying that the linesman only now puts his flag up for offside when the receiving player touches the ball.

The actual offside law is unchanged.

Whilst I'm sure we'd all like to see a 2nd Division game before we die, it does make me wonder what those who think promotion was "blown" would make of it?

Despite my belief that it's better to try and play well, there's no joy to be had in losing every week - let alone losing badly - and that's what would happen with a 95% probability.

What some of the forum members would make of it, I shudder to think.
Blackpool fans loved it in the prem for one season!

It was only days 8 days ago we thrashed Cambridge and we were lauding it up. Cambridge then beat Portsmouth away. With our previous messiah getting some grief. Funny old game.

However, I do think we are a bit short in the forward line, it is Scully or nothing. For whatever reason it maybe didn’t happen this summer as liked/expected for a variety of reasons.

That statement seems to be at odds with this part of Law 11 on the FA website-

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or...
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

That's right. He only becomes off-side when he interferes with play or touches the ball. For it to be off-side there need to be two things,

1) standing in an off-side position when the ball is played
2) needs to interfere with play or touch the balll

You can be 1) and not touch the ball and not be penalised for 1)
If you are 1) and then touch the ball, you are off-side where you touch the ball. The infringement occurs where you touch the ball and that is where the free-kick is taken from.

So, as is mentioned above, a player in an offside position when the ball is played can run back into his own half to receive the ball in his own-half and is off-side where he received the ball and that is where the free-kick is taken from. In fact, it happened to Lincoln last season and Hortin moaned about it for the rest of the game, even though it was the correct decision.

[QUOTE="...rule change about ‘where the player touches the ball, not where the player was standing when the ball was kicked’.

I don't think he iss saying a player is only offside when he touches/receives the pass rather than when the pass is played. He is saying that the linesman only now puts his flag up for offside when the receiving player touches the ball.

The actual offside law is unchanged.[/QUOTE]
Why can’t they just go back to the original law. It was so much simpler (although remember all the old jokes about trying to explain the offside rule to wives and girlfriends 😂🤣)