Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham

There is no evidence that Payne or Hesketh are good enough however Hesketh does occaisonally maintain and recycle the ball!

I don't think Hesketh is anything like as bad that many do on here, but nevertheless he is nothing like consistent enough to be a regular starter in a L1 side.

It makes me wonder if he's actually on a kind of extended trial. He's 24 next month, there's no way he's ever going to get near Southampton's squad and he can't have any sale value to them.

Whatever, he's getting a lot of opportunities. I don't think he's a lost cause, though.

I thought we battled well against a bit physical direct side. Especially give the age of the squad in comparison.

We lack any potency going forward, and in truth the end of the season can’t come fast enough. I have accepted to reserve and judgement until this time next season.

However I do genuinely feel we will be much better than we are now.

Keep backing the club.

Christ that was painful viewing, 1 goal in the last 4 home games, strike force non existent 😩 .... on the plus side, a pint gained and 16 from safety, Bozzy back in the side will see us safe 👍🏼

That's why football is so subjective- I enjoyed today a huge amount. The team are developing and have taken another step forward. Edun was again strong at LB, Bossie immense alongside Bolger.

Coventry and Bridcutt teamed up well and, first half particularly, we had some really sweet passages of play which show our growing confidence.

Playing out from the back really created space today between their defensive forward and midfield line and it was good to see how well it will work as players become more familiar with it.

Tranmere lost, Southend lost- we move a point further away from them.

IMHO we should simply see this season as the team developing and building and growing. Lower our expectations and simply enjoy something being built and be part of it.

The pitch does need sorting though as it is making our style of play very difficult for the players and is slowing them down sometimes simply to retain overall control.

Already looking forward to next season- if results keep going as they are we may even have an away day at the Kirklees Stadium!

At least what is quite a lightweight side stood up against a big, strong team whose style of play I thought might get a few approving nods from a lot of people on here.

is that 15 games unbeaten for Gillingham now? Results are everything aren't they?
Indeed a team in their managers own image (if not body shape)

Thought we played ok considering the opposition and the conditions. We managed not to offer our usual generosity at the back this week apart from a suicidal square ball from Bossie early on that fortunately wasn't punished. Equally though we failed to capitalise on the errors Gillingham made to try and gift us a goal. Thought we really should have been 1 up at half time considering, but I'll take a clean sheet. A game we would have lost in recent weeks due to an error at the back.

Hesketh put himself about first half, couldn't see the challenge. Hopper has been to the Matt Rhead school of winning free kicks. Thought Scully was largely anonymous but for his missed volley and attempted square ball to Hopper. Thought Bridcutt was excellent, looking forward to seeing him with Joe Morrell. Edun looks a player with a future for sure. Some nice stuff at times was played and we also demonstrated that we're not going to be intimidated in a physical game which is also encouraging.

At least what is quite a lightweight side stood up against a big, strong team whose style of play I thought might get a few approving nods from a lot of people on here.

is that 15 games unbeaten for Gillingham now? Results are everything aren't they?

Well we'd certainly swap our results for theirs wouldn't we?

Very nearly did not make my 200 mile round trip today, but pleased I did, restored my faith a bit with a battling performance and a well deserved point in very difficult conditions. Thought they all fought well, and Bossie made a big difference, what an influence he has in keeping their concentration levels up leading by huge example. Thought the young lads did well Scully harried the other lot into a few mistakes, Edun very unlucky to get sent off, sounds as if we will appeal. The crowd were up for the fight as well as the players. Good to see JA get a good round of applause when he came on and did nothing !
UTI
Forgot, where on earth do they get these crap refs from !!!

I have to agree with Strangely Brown, I really enjoyed today's game. From a pure football point of view we were easily the better side in the first half and played some quite neat football at times. If we were in a purple patch rather than a poor run we would probably have gone in 2-0 up, with Gillingham hardly threatening.

Second half was more difficult but there was plenty of fight and effort and we held firm, a good sign.

If what you are expecting is a fully up to speed side ready to take all before them in league one (as it seems some are, from their comments) then you may well have been disappointed.

For me however, I am looking to see if their are hints that the new players we have, will be up to the tasks of moving us to upper mid table next season and further in the seasons to come.

If you go through the new players...

Edun - he is comfortable on the ball, looks to play the ball forward and has some ability. It's difficult to know whether left back will be his position. He is certainly more comfortable going forward than defending, but I would have said the same about Toffolo 18 months ago, but there are definite signs he will be a good and improving asset.

Bridcutt - He is obviously an accomplished player but would be a good permanent asset should we convince him Lincoln is the best place for him next year.

Coventry - He has looked a bit like a boy in a mans game, in the previous games I have seen. He is unlikley to be available to us permanently but I thought he was markedly improved today. He is a holding midfielder so not likely to attract the eye so much but he looked able to compete on pretty equal terms today. He won alot of challenges he was losing in previous games and made some good interceptions, while using the ball sensibly. He was not outstanding but a good step forward which is all you can reasonably ask. I would think if we had him on a seasons loan next year he would probably develop into the new Morrell and be a top player when he develops physically.

Scully - Has already shown promise in previous games. Not particularly great today but still ended up having a couple of chances to score, even though playing in a slightly unfamiliar position.

Hopper - Had a pretty thank less task today especially in the second half. You can however see he is an intelligent player and will benefit as the team settles down and everyone in the team gets to know their role and everyone else's.
As has been said he is probably never going to be prolific but we have managed to move up the pyramid without (m)any prolific strikers but lots of good team players.

So I saw plenty of small signs that we will slowly but steadily improve.

I also looked out at half time and I saw other young players like Lewis, Chapman, Elbouzedi etc that may also play their part going forward.

It was also interesting to hear MA's interview after the game. He obviously was easily able to get the better of Evans antics and put him in his place. I have little doubt we have a good man in charge.

So for me I did not see a drab 0-0 in difficult conditions but just confirmation that little by little, match by match there is improvement.

We are entering early spring with the promise of better things to come.

Back home. Decent point all in all. Bit of a typical end of the season kind of game between two teams who will be facing each other next season in the same league. A draw was a fair result overall. Thought our two centre backs were very dominant today. You can see signs of what MA is trying to do with some of the passing interchanging and the positional changes that players make during a match. When it comes together it will look fabulous.
Cup of tea and catch up time