Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham

Waiting for Evans bingo that he throws out after every game regardless of how it's gone - ref was weak, should've been out of sight by HT, blatant penalty not given, can't fault the lads, can't believe we've not picked up all three points, dominated the game etc etc. Every game he does it!

Scrappy game in difficult conditions.Gills were definitely physical and we stood up to it well with such a comparatively inexperienced team. I was actually going to go for Edun as my MoM until his silly sending off. Has to be Bossie now. The rest tried hard but never really got it right on the day. Eardley had a good game as well. I do wish Bolger wouldn’t dawdle on the ball thinking he has more time than he has. Coventry tries to be the playmaker but for me he plays too many uninspired short passes which put his team-mates under pressure. Scully looked a bit lost today. It might have helped if he had buried at least one of the two first-half chances. Overall I’ll take a point but think we should have nicked it 1 - 0, which is really encouraging against a team on such a good run.

Appleton interview interesting.
On the ref: "Nothing from him all game". For me the ref did us a favour not sending Hesketh off after 10 minutes for a two footed lunge.
Appealing suspension yellow: Will be appealing Edun suspension.
Backed down: Evans is all mouth but backed down immediately when Appleton challenged him.

Appleton interview interesting.
On the ref: "Nothing from him all game". For me the ref did us a favour not sending Hesketh off after 10 minutes for a two footed lunge.
Appealing suspension yellow: Will be appealing Edun suspension.
Backed down: Evans is all mouth but backed down immediately when Appleton challenged him.

Well. Unless the rules have changed, we can't appeal the Edun dismissal.

Well, we actually competed fairly well with a strong, physical Gillingham side. That is encouraging.

Hesketh had a better game, but still doesn't do enough for me.

Coventry, frankly, doesn't look like a football player. Morrell straight back in the team for him next week.

Vickers made one or two "interesting" decisions, but a good save from him and some decent kicking in the strong wind.

Edun looks a good signing, although lacks experience and that showed on a couple of occasions.

Briscutt - excellent.

Grant again had a decent game but his set-piece delivery was generally poor.

I'll take the point.

Well, we actually competed fairly well with a strong, physical Gillingham side. That is encouraging.

Hesketh had a better game, but still doesn't do enough for me.

Coventry, frankly, doesn't look like a football player. Morrell straight back in the team for him next week.

Vickers made one or two "interesting" decisions, but a good save from him and some decent kicking in the strong wind.

Edun looks a good signing, although lacks experience and that showed on a couple of occasions.

Briscutt - excellent.

Grant again had a decent game but his set-piece delivery was generally poor.

I'll take the point.

I'd agree with that, though I thought Coventry looked better in the final 20.

Bossie was an absolute beast, very impressive how easily he can slip back into competitive football.

Much improved playing the ball round the back and I think Edun really helps that. He had a good game until his sending off, which I missed, but he should know not to get involved when on a booking.

Only real concern from that game was the lack of creativity going forward and poor use of the ball in the final third. We created a couple of good chances but I never felt like we were going to score.

Why dont we use our subs? Especially when its really windy.. running against the wind is more tiring. Seems illogical.

Appleton doesn't seem to like making substitutions, which agree is odd. That said the bench wasn't the strongest today and there were limited options available.

What has Appleton got against Jack Payne? Second half into the wind we were crying out for someone to get hold of the ball centrally in their half and beat a man. Was never gonna be Hesketh, Scully isn't a ten and Coventry and Bridcutt are more defensively minded. I think Payne was our best option off the bench.

What has Appleton got against Jack Payne? Second half into the wind we were crying out for someone to get hold of the ball centrally in their half and beat a man. Was never gonna be Hesketh, Scully isn't a ten and Coventry and Bridcutt are more defensively minded. I think Payne was our best option off the bench.
Totally agree. Both the replies from the Gillingham supporters on which Imps player you would take was Payne. He can’t get a look in for some reason. Something must have gone off as on ability he would be in the team.

At least what is quite a lightweight side stood up against a big, strong team whose style of play I thought might get a few approving nods from a lot of people on here.

is that 15 games unbeaten for Gillingham now? Results are everything aren't they?

I don't get this obsession with Payne. Other than his performance against a poor Southend, he was largely ineffective

. Too many touches, no end product and knocked off the ball too easily.

I don't see how he's an upgrade.

I don't get this obsession with Payne. Other than his performance against a poor Southend, he was largely ineffective

. Too many touches, no end product and knocked off the ball too easily.

I don't see how he's an upgrade.
Payne is not a really a step up from McCarten. They both can occasionally beat a man and then they lose control of the ball and both are easily forced off the ball. Payne has no pace in this league. We have one winger who is ready for this league and that has meant Payne/Hesket/Grant/Sculley have all had to play out there when they in fact can't. There is no evidence that Payne or Hesketh are good enough however Hesketh does occaisonally maintain and recycle the ball!