Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham

Wonder what is easier to do, list the former players who have come back and scored against us. Or list those that haven't. My money is on the former being the biggest list and the latter having very few names on it.
Will probably add 1 more name to the first list today 🤐

One of our toughest games of the season I think today. The Gills are forth in the current form table and I think are unbeaten in their last 13 games pf which the last 3 are wins. Add into the mix another very blustery day and a very robust opposition with John Akinde looking to put one or two over us, we really need to be on top of our game.
Form can be misleading - we were top of the form table prior to our current run of one point from six games - and runs always end at some point. Is Akinde capable of putting one over us? Appleton intimated there would be a number of changes in the immediate aftermath of the Accrington game, but modified that to possibly one or two. Will Eyoma replace Shackell, or will it be Bostwick in for Bolger? Will Edun and Lewis start in midfield? Lots of permutations.

Re must win

I think I've posted this before, but Mike Pejic (ex Stoke City when they were in Div 1 (now prem)) argued on Radio Stoke a season or two ago, that for a professional footballer, every game is must win

The alternative, presumably, is that it doesn't matter if you don't win?

I'm delighted to have discovered a regular contributor who is, on balance, even more pessimistic than I! ;)

You could both need help, no shame to ask, it's good to talk.

Try to think positively, I am. Leaving in 5 minutes, hope to be in my seat by 3.15 pm, without taking too many risks. Thinking we will be two up by then.

Must win?

No.

Nice to draw?

Yes.

Nicer to win?

Absolutely!!!

I think that we could gel that little bit more after another week's training together and stand by my earlier "prediction" of 3 - 1 to the Imps with JA netting twice and Evans seeing red...

Come on you Imps!!!!!!!!!!!!©

The form book suggests a comfortable win for the Gills, so I'm predicting victory for the Imps!

The trouble with the form book is, it only looks at results, our performances have been encouraging and improving of late.

I hope JA gets a warm reception, although I fear he'll bag a goal

I don't see it as a "must win" game, but 3 points will certainly settle the nerves a little and give a much needed boost of confidence

Looking forward to it

UTI

Spent the night at my parents so don't need to set off for quite a while yet which is always nice. Today is not a must win match against tough and in form opposition but one where a positive result would be very welcome. Not expecting a 7 goal match as last week but should be a good one

signs of improvement would be... we play better than the game at their place. We show a few more examples of how appletonball can deal with these big strong nasty league one teams.

signs of improvement would be... we play better than the game at their place. We show a few more examples of how appletonball can deal with these big strong nasty league one teams.

I think not losing would be the best sign of improvement.

I think not losing would be the best sign of improvement.
True, but are there many signs pointing to not losing. so I’m settling for some signs a few of our little fellas are adapting to the grand plan, before Appleton brings in the big monsters that were not available in January.

Good Afternoon TMT.
As a supporter, heart says win, head says draw.
Players must think win or what's the point even playing?
I think too many of us are worried because we've not been picking up wins, or draws playing away, but there are two teams playing so it's not just down to us.
They'll be thinking about just how dangerous we are - wounded animal and all that. So..., I've convinced myself we'll do okay today. Sit down, strap yourself in and enjoy it. CMON U IMPS!

Yelllow card counts:

10: Morrell (final game of suspension today)
7: Bolger
5: Eardley
3: Bridcutt, Hesketh, Shackell
2: Bostwick, Coventry, Grant, Hopper, Melbourne
1: Anderson, Chapman, Edun, John-Jules, Payne, Pett, Vickers
0: Andrew, Elbouzedi, Eyoma, Frecklington, Hinds, Lewis, Scully

Cut-off for ten yellows (a two-match ban) is the 37th league game, currently scheduled to be the home game against Coventry on 21 March. That is four games, meaning that only Bolger can now pick up a suspension.

Harry Anderson currently has 7 goals to his name; one more will give him his best season ever.

2016-17: 6
2017-18: 7
2018-19: 7
2019-20: 7

His total of 27 goals (in 166 appearances) for the club puts him second in the current squad behind Lee Frecklington (30).