Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham

That's why football is so subjective- I enjoyed today a huge amount. The team are developing and have taken another step forward. Edun was again strong at LB, Bossie immense alongside Bolger.

Coventry and Bridcutt teamed up well and, first half particularly, we had some really sweet passages of play which show our growing confidence.

Playing out from the back really created space today between their defensive forward and midfield line and it was good to see how well it will work as players become more familiar with it.

Tranmere lost, Southend lost- we move a point further away from them.

IMHO we should simply see this season as the team developing and building and growing. Lower our expectations and simply enjoy something being built and be part of it.

The pitch does need sorting though as it is making our style of play very difficult for the players and is slowing them down sometimes simply to retain overall control.

Already looking forward to next season- if results keep going as they are we may even have an away day at the Kirklees Stadium!
Great post.

Come on you Imps!!!!!!©

Well that was a much better performance today and a very satisfying point coinciding with the return of Bozzie. Heskeths early challenge looked bad from the COOP and having just seen it on Quest it was a bit of a shocker and should have been red, so we were lucky there. Still looking lost up front mainly because they seem so isolated. Might be against the grain but I thought Hopper had a decent game considering the attention he was getting. The Gills really troubled Vickers all game and only a great finger tip save kept out Harry’s looping header. No idea what happened with Eduns sending off but fortunately we remained tight for once and saw the game out. 0-0 it may have been but for once I was really pleased with both the point and the performance.

Just one final comment.

I heard a couple of boos but Akinde got a full round of lengthy applause from all sides of the ground when he came on.

Always remember Greeny getting the same from Stags fans (and we still give AInsworth a ripple or two).

Thought it was a nice touch- just a personal observation.

Just one final comment.

I heard a couple of boos but Akinde got a full round of lengthy applause from all sides of the ground when he came on.

Always remember Greeny getting the same from Stags fans (and we still give AInsworth a ripple or two).

Thought it was a nice touch- just a personal observation.

Totally agree. Heard a few start to boo but they were totally drowned out by the other 99% of us applauding

I also enjoyed yesterday's game... a solid, battling performance in again pretty atrocious conditions.

Our football from the back was as good (and as sensible!) as it's probably ever been; Bostwick and Bolger look a far better partnership than any combination that includes Jason Shackell; Bridcutt again excellent; Edun looking every inch a League 1 full-back (and very very unlucky to be sent off); and performances from Hopper, Coventry and even my old friend Hesketh showing improvements. The atmosphere - at least as far as I can tell from my sofa in Kuala Lumpur - also top-notch again. A good day all round and now MA can get 2 solid weeks on the training ground to build partnerships and raise performance levels.

Only negatives were a poor referee, and that unbelievably annoying child in the commentary box.

I also enjoyed yesterday's game... a solid, battling performance in again pretty atrocious conditions.

Our football from the back was as good (and as sensible!) as it's probably ever been; Bostwick and Bolger look a far better partnership than any combination that includes Jason Shackell; Bridcutt again excellent; Edun looking every inch a League 1 full-back (and very very unlucky to be sent off); and performances from Hopper, Coventry and even my old friend Hesketh showing improvements. The atmosphere - at least as far as I can tell from my sofa in Kuala Lumpur - also top-notch again. A good day all round and now MA can get 2 solid weeks on the training ground to build partnerships and raise performance levels.

Only negatives were a poor referee, and that unbelievably annoying child in the commentary box.

Oh poor lad - after all he does have Hortin & Thommo as mentors 🤔 (the child, not the ref).
On Edun, I agree he is shaping up as a class FB. In addition to being calm and a good footballer, he has the one quality I believe you need as a FB, which is timing your challenges & not jumping in, sometimes even not challenging, just shepherding the opponent away from areas where he can damage you.

Last edited:
There does seem to be an indication we are about to sign a free agent? Might be someone to cover Shackell?

Oh poor lad - after all he does have Hortin & Thommo as mentors 🤔 (the child, not the ref).
On Edun, I agree he is shaping up as a class FB. In addition to being calm and a good footballer, he has the one quality I believe you need as a FB, which is timing your challenges & not jumping in, sometimes even not challenging, just shepherding the opponent away from areas where he can damage you.

Strikes me Edun doesn't give them nearly as much room as Toff did. He suffocates the player he's marking and, as you say, shepherds them away. He clearly likes to go forward too and I think he'll be a more than adequate replacement at full back, but think we'll see more of him in a left-sided midfield role. I look forward to it.

I too enjoyed the game today and found myself tut-tutting at Gills' tactics.

How times change! 😉 I think I could get quite accustomed to playing it out from the back. Dropping Bridcutt deep seems to have cured that particular problem..He revelled in the responsibility of the captaincy, incidentally.

I dont have a problem with out from the back ,if its with a purpose, And i think you will see it become sharper and with more intensity under Mapp

As an aside new captain in Bridcutt. Quite a thing for a loan player only played a handful of games (for us)

No surprise at all. I said as soon as he came, he'd be captain.
He's already very experienced in the role, and even in his first game for us he was ordering teammates about, getting people into better positions etc.
Think its the clear intention for him to stay with us and hopefully for a good few seasons.

Also in the enjoyed it yesterday camp.

Really hope we keep Bridcutt, most out decent play goes through him now. Edun has a lot of confidence in himself which is good to see, decision making could be better but that will come, looks perfect type for MA to coach. Bostwick is just immense, get him a new contract.

Hesketh very luck not to see red. Not sure what Evans is on about with the Bossie one though, yellow all day.

Also in the enjoyed it yesterday camp.

Really hope we keep Bridcutt, most out decent play goes through him now. Edun has a lot of confidence in himself which is good to see, decision making could be better but that will come, looks perfect type for MA to coach. Bostwick is just immense, get him a new contract.

Hesketh very luck not to see red. Not sure what Evans is on about with the Bossie one though, yellow all day.
To be fair to Steve, his view was obscured by the 15 lifebelts around his centre. I'm told that the level of the drain changed every time he left the dug-out.

Maybe we should hold an Evan's raffle when we play a team managed by the FRISP?.
First argument with 4th official.
Tantrum with opposition manager.
How many times the pingu lookalike waves his arms penguin fashion.
How fast he scuttles back into his area after a confrontation with opposition staff etc etc.
Also noted in one photo that typicall for a bully he is hiding behind somebody during his spat with MA.

Delighted that some people enjoyed the game yesterday and got their money's worth.
Strong winds obviously play havoc with the game and we have a terrible pitch blabla but 0-0 was definitely the right result.

Edun is a player of some ability. I certainly hope he is just covering as an emergency full back and we aren't looking to reposition him there. His best performance was that second half in centre midfield and at this point in his career he would be vulnerable against any half decent wide player.

You would expect Hopper will have better games over the next heaven knows how many years.