Match Thread: Lincoln City v Fleetwood Town | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Fleetwood Town

Walker is a very good finisher, keep getting the early ball into him.
Superb performance again from toff.

Some lovely passing from time to time, although not so much possession/dominance as previous weeks. Still get the feeling that we have more gears to go through.
opposition keeper hardly having anything to do again, other than picking the ball out
Clinical

For the first 30 minutes, it felt like watching us play ourselves. Like us, Fleetwood knew all the little niggles and dirty work to try and get under our skin. And, like us, they were very organised, incisive, with some nice passing and movement.

The difference is that we have Tyler Walker, an absolute dream of a striker. Give him a chance and he will score (apart from that hat-trick chance in the second half, such a shame he couldn't put that away). Two goals from him, and suddenly it's done and dusted. Fleetwood barely threatened after that.

Two non-footballing highlights: Rheady's name being sung to spite Barton (even Joey must have allowed himself a smile at that), and Matt Gilks applauding the home fans at the end. You can see that part of his heart is still here.

Boring, boring Fleetwood. Zzzzzzzzz. Decent side, technically very good and well drilled but predictable.

But, as much as we all love nice passages of play, of which there were some from us, I think we need to applaud and appreciate just how good we were without the ball today. There was a reason that Fleetwood kept passing the ball sideways and backwards, which is in part why they ended up boring us all to tears (not that I care if we win) because they weren't brave enough to try anything else.

First shot on target for them, what, 75th minute? And at that point, we should have been three up.

Wonderful move for the first, great cross, great run, great header. Great. Second was well taken as well.

Bit of a nothing game really.

A professional performance today. Following the highly charged encounter with Everton during wed night it was important to get back to business.No need to go mad today.Yes they had a lot of possession but they never really completely stretched us .The quick fire brace gave us the points and the rest of the game was managed quite well.Great to see Gilks come up to the fans .I wonder how that went down with Barton ?

Fleetwood were really quite odd. No urgency, no real sense of any desire to win after the first 20 minutes or so. Lots of lethargic knocking it about, but no incisive runs, forward momentum or penetration.

With slightly better finishing, it could easily have been 4-0 to us, although they did create a couple of chances that were completely fluffed.

Excellent stuff from Walker, pleased for him. Looks to be growing in confidence.

Onward!

But, as much as we all love nice passages of play, of which there were some from us, I think we need to applaud and appreciate just how good we were without the ball today.

I was about to post something similar. We're very good at restricting chances against us. That work often goes unnoticed as we don't have the ball. The organisation and discipline is incredibly good. There won't be any team better in this division at making the opposition look ordinary

Joey Barton:

"We came here and barring a 90 second period taught them what League One and what the top end of League One is all about."

Go....

So, all about losing 2-0, then Joey? Playing pretty triangles but barely having a chance at goal? Making numerous errors in defence that we really should have punished rather more? Being devoid of attacking ideas?

I mean, really...

We will finish above them.