Match Thread: Lincoln City v Doncaster Rovers | Page 30 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Doncaster Rovers

Win as a team lose as a team im sure they will be asking themselves many questions what could we have done better. Still riding high and doing better then most would have thought at the start of the season we cant change the result you move forward and asess today. Not the end of the world . We should have won yes but there are 46 other teams in the football league who wish they were in our place.

Let's not kid ourselves that we were 'unlucky', or that 'just not our day' guff. That was handed to us on a plate today and we blew it. We play some beautiful stuff but we are toothless, too often, and the effort we have to put in to get a goal is ridiculous. We see it in game after game. A potent strikeforce and we'd be out of sight in this league.

Repeat what I said at half-time, if Donny are the form team, they’ve come to pack the defence, which shows how they think about playing us. We definitely belong at the top end of this league
they could afford to pack the defence and not come out once they went 1 up

It sounded as though we played very well today but you have to put your chances away at this level. We will bounce back though.

They didn’t mug us, they came with a game plan and it worked. They looked similar to how we played early on in the season to me.

Shame that it was a poor decision by the ref for the goal but that’s life and we move on.

Let's not kid ourselves that we were 'unlucky', or that 'just not our day' guff. That was handed to us on a plate today and we blew it. We play some beautiful stuff but we are toothless, too often, and the effort we have to put in to get a goal is ridiculous. We see it in game after game. A potent strikeforce and we'd be out of sight in this league.

We all have an opinion but you’re miles off it mate.

Show me how often a club misses 2 pens in a game. Donny had 1 shot on target (which should’ve been saved) and 1 blocked. We’ve dominated that game. Pen misses and final ball have made us lose.

If it’s a recurring issue then fine but to date it isn’t. Your negativity is off the chain. We have done unbelievably well to be where we are.

If Morton was fit we would be out of sight.

Typical smash and grab, we played well just wasn't our day, thought keeper may have done better with their goal. When you miss two pens only yourselves to blame I suppose. Lots of corners but poor delivery. The other lot will be up there come May, home record not looking too good.
Onto Tuesday.

Last edited:
FT. Well, what can I say other than they are definitely our bogey team. Twice we’ve played them and come away with nothing when we‘ve either been as good or better than them. Today, especially in the first half we totally outplayed them but one lapse in concentration has cost us. I do think when we get to the byeline the ball should be pulled back a little more - there were a few times when we got round the back but crossed almost straight at the keeper when we had players in space coming into the box on or around the penalty spot. Grudgingly have to give credit to Donny - they were well organised, chased everything and rode their luck, but their keeper gave a 10 performance and there’s nothing you can do about that. Just not our day. Need to put it right at Gillingham on Friday - please. Talking of which, we could have done with Akinde on the penalties today (ducks for cover 😳). UTMI

So after a week of their fan(s) saying we were hyping this up to be the game of games, and to be honest some of our fans, probably most including me thinking that it would be a tough match up of 2 teams battling hard to prove their worth at the top................

..................we ended up being on the wrong end of the result to probably the worst away performance by any away team since North Ferriby when they lost 6-1, (performance being the underlined word because they obviously got the result they wanted.)

Yes we were abject, yes we are making stupid dinked short crosses to the near post for their goalie to swallow up when our CF obvs has instructions to be in the centre of the goal. Yes we missed 2 penalties, but.............if our 2 cehntre halves didn;t baqck off they would have had zero attempts at goal all match!!!

Well done to them for getting the points but that is shocking really. A top team goes away and defends the match as if they are the bottom team clinging on for life and hoping for the best.

The only plus I can take is that shows how good we are. That they feared us so much that they came here just hoping for the best.

And please can we not change penalty takers. I think most of us thought "miss" as soon as we saw a different p taker step up. No offence to Scully at all, just the change of penalty taker has that effect on a fan.

I can only hope Harry will soon be back up to speed after his Covid because I think we desperately need his drive for the second half run in.

p.s. Not so sure the first one was a pen at all looking at replays. Was Grant's usual tactic of turning his back to oppo player and then backing into a leg.

On those little dinked crosses to the near post. Either Hopper is given instruction to go near post or the tactics change because oue no CF that goes near post (mostly McGrandles today) is not a CRF, Doesn't anticipate that move wuickly enough and thus is a couple of yards back before reacting. Watch each of those near post "dinks" and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
Losing points is disappointing but I'm not at all disheartened by that.

Play like that - or even at 90% of that level - in the remaining games this season and there's no doubt we will be promoted.

We made a very good side like pretty ordinary for the entire 90 minutes.

Nothing to be concerned about at all today.
...apart from final ball, lack of hitting the target, and two poor penalties. Otherwise, agree, we bettered a good side in every statistic, other than the one that mattered. We’ll win more than we lose over the season, if confidence doesn’t take a hit from today. We do need shooting practice if we’re to go up though.