Match Thread: Lincoln City v Doncaster Rovers | Page 41 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Doncaster Rovers

If listening on just a radio the area of the field and team in possession is most useful information. The absence of away players' name saves mentally recognising it is not an Imp. The fact it is their 'keeper' is almost essential compared to knowing/remembering his name yourself.
Having said that the standard of commentary is 'Sunday league' whether you have the accompanying pictures or not. MH should stick to Pirate Gold and similar crap he seems to enjoy so much.
Your first point is a good one - I've enjoyed Hortin's commentaries over the years on radio, and it's less important to know 'who' but 'what's and 'where' where the opposition is concerned. But for me that works, it's not 'Sunday league'.

However it does all fall apart when the commentary is with a video stream, the needs are different. Problem for Hortin is he's now commentating both for radio and TV and it's not working.

If someone has had a 'word' with Thommo about his faux pas, then surely someone from on high should be speaking to Hortin and telling him to improve or else. It's funny, as on the StaceyWest podcast, Gary is always mocking Ben for his lack of research (and he's quite right as Ben's knowledge of footballers is probably worse than Hortin's), so someone should be by Hortin's side highlighting his lack of research too.

Hortins commentary is for John from East Heckington and Joan from Blankey as part of a general service for people who pay their licence fee but may only be vaguely interest in local sport, every bit as much as it is for a Lincoln City season ticket holder.

You may not like his commentary, but suggesting he should be threatened with dismissal because he doesn't commentate to the satisfaction of a sub group of a special interest group is ridiculous.

The comparison would be that he should be sacked because the cryptic crossword oficianadoes that listen to Pirate Gold don't rate his ability to decode anagrams.

Hortins commentary is for John from East Heckington and Joan from Blankey as part of a general service for people who pay their licence fee but may only be vaguely interest in local sport, every bit as much as it is for a Lincoln City season ticket holder.

You may not like his commentary, but suggesting he should be threatened with dismissal because he doesn't commentate to the satisfaction of a sub group of a special interest group is ridiculous.

The comparison would be that he should be sacked because the cryptic crossword oficianadoes that listen to Pirate Gold don't rate his ability to decode anagrams.
He isn’t just doing commentary for local radio though, the commentary is also for iFollow, which is specifically for avid football fans, who are paying £10 a pop for something that should be reasonably informed. imo he is way below the standard of the opposition week after week.

I can't believe he is only 31, I thought he must be 34/35 from his recent performances for Spurs. Looks finished to me - doesn't run, doesn't challenge for the ball, his finishing is midway between inept and half-hearted. Not good, no wonder Real wanted rid of him.
His handicap has improved though.

Talk about an over reaction!

Not sure I agree with your first statement. For John and Joan to be listening to BBC Lincolnshire at 3pm on a Saturday, it surely follows that they are interested in the football? Let's be right, if they aren't, there are a multitude of other stations and the tv. So, it should follow that the coverage be as detailed as is possible.
I do agree, suggesting he be sacked is too far.
I suspect Michael is spinning multiple plates and maybe time to do a lot of research is limited.

They need to have a dedicated commentator but I doubt that they have the budget.
Surprised ifollow don't have employ commentators?
IMHO Makepeace is better.
Underwood and dear old Chris Parkin were decent too.

He isn’t just doing commentary for local radio though, the commentary is also for iFollow, which is specifically for avid football fans, who are paying £10 a pop for something that should be reasonably informed. imo he is way below the standard of the opposition week after week.

The beauty of ifollow is there is a choice of commentary.

As an avid fan you can augment your enjoyment of the radio commentary available by doing what some avid fans would do and demonstrate that avid interest by acquainting yourself with the opposition players yourself.

Failing that summon enough enthusiasm to select the away commentary on offer, which you prefer.

Either way to suggest sacking a radio commentator for doing his radio job is ridiculous.

One thing I did think Hortin did well last night was his halftime interview with Boston's chairman. Good insight into the massive problems going on for them and all National League North clubs.