Match Thread: Lincoln City v Doncaster Rovers | Page 31 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Doncaster Rovers

The performance was excellent but we let them off the hook. I hope the two penalties today and the Peterborough one don't prove crucial. We are still in a great position but could have been five points better off. Very frustrating. UTI

I do think when we get to the byeline the ball should be pulled back a little more - there were a few times when we got round the back but crossed almost straight at the keeper when we had players in space coming into the box on or around the penalty spot.

Can I do the "+1" for this.

It's the one thing I'd fault. The point of getting to the dead ball line is it gives you more options and the defence is facing its own goal.

Reading some comments you would think we are not having a good season. Before today we were the best team in League 1 and scoring has not been a problem. Yes Doncaster won and hats off to them but this looked more like a top team suffering a defeat. It happens even to Liverpool and Man Utd.

Just one of those days. They happen during a season. At least we saw our team on top. Last two games I watched, Grant has missed pens, so maybe I'm a bad omen! Would be interested to know if Donny's goal bobbled to beat Palmer, but shouldn't look for excuses

Still second in league with a game in hand over team above us. Bet none of us expected we'd be in this position at start of season

Far post, far post, far post.

Or at the very least drag it back to the penalty spot.

The keeper has taken the near-post ball about 10 times this game.

Just this. Everything was superb up until this point.

How many crosses were just drilled at the 6 yard box to the keeper or defender! Every corner we gained from it was even worse!

It was very frustrating that we didn't try something a bit different with our crosses. I can only recall the cross to Johnson that reached the man in open play.

Reading some comments you would think we are not having a good season. Before today we were the best team in League 1 and scoring has not been a problem. Yes Doncaster won and hats off to them but this looked more like a top team suffering a defeat. It happens even to Liverpool and Man Utd.

I think it was losing to such a non effort from the away team that hurts more. Yes we should have been better in the final third but they came here playing like a relegation side hoping for the best.

Listen, I agree, we are having a great season but it could be a lot better! Apologies if I come across as being negative - I'm just as angry as hell that we are passing up opportunities like this to put more distance between ourselves and our near challengers.

So frustrated right now.

However, we've absolutely outplayed a team considered my many to be one of the favourites for promotion, and a club who it's been mentioned that off the pitch, we'd do well to match.

Play like that again most weeks, and we'll keep racking up wins.

Again, to repeat what I have already said, we had chance after chance and two penalties. We should have won. You can't blame people for being pissed off about that.

Donny are definitely not a bogey side. They may have won the last 3 but they did not win any of the previous 7. The head to head through the years is pretty level also. They won today from a poorly hit shot and we could not capitalise on the possession we had. Results like this happen what we need to do now is learn from the game and make sure it does not happen again.

Listen, I agree, we are having a great season but it could be a lot better! Apologies if I come across as being negative - I'm just as angry as hell that we are passing up opportunities like this to put more distance between ourselves and our near challengers.
Fair enough. To be honest though there is no team in L1 who look all that consistent and likely to pull away.

I think it was losing to such a non effort from the away team that hurts more. Yes we should have been better in the final third but they came here playing like a relegation side hoping for the best.

I thought they played like a very well organised away team looking to frustrate the opposition and get a smash and grab win on the counter attack. Not dis-similar to how we've often played on the road

Exactly this. What it does do is put a bit of pressure on us v Gillingham especially when we use up some energy on Tuesday. I’ll keep saying it when (not if) we lose - top teams are top teams because of how they react to a defeat. This is our test.