Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crewe Alexandra | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crewe Alexandra

Most teams have everybody back defending corners these days, Crewe did yesterday.
Our set piece delivery from both corners and free kicks has in general been poor /disappointing in the games I've seen this season.

I imagine it's something to do with statistical probabilities about conceding when the penalty area is more crowded, which may also be why we seem to have played so many short corners.

On that note, on average teams score (or concede) from 1 corner in every 30. That's a stat that has passed the test of time, so if you're doing better than that at both ends you're out-performing.

So far this season I think we've scored 3 from 74 corners (Swindon, Macc, MK) and conceded 1 from 52 (Bury).

That's too small a sample to be truly meaningful, but in so far as it is, we're pretty much on the average for goals scored but certainly ahead of the game on goals conceded.

There are a couple behind me who moan every time we are defending a corner, about having no one near the half line. I must admit I enjoy remarking ironically after each corner is successfully defended, that the man who cleared it should have been on the half way line. But perhaps they know something the Cowleys don’t.

Funny you should say this. There was a corner v Cheltenham that came out to Pett and I couldn't decide if it was intentional or not. Maybe they are adding a few wrinkles to the corners and they are not quite working yet.
I thought it was deliberately played deep for O'Connor, obviously not accurate enough, but I don't think they were just randomly over-hit

Not been on the site, but my take on the game, just about did enough to win, but for my detailed thoughts listen to Danny's post match !

There are a couple behind me who moan every time we are defending a corner, about having no one near the half line. I must admit I enjoy remarking ironically after each corner is successfully defended, that the man who cleared it should have been on the half way line. But perhaps they know something the Cowleys don’t.

I don't think it's confirmed either way whether it's beneficial to leave someone up or keep everyone back. If it is then I haven't seen that statistic.

Some teams do. Some don't. It's the manager's preference.

I think you hear a lot of poor, unreasonable comments/moans in the ground but I wouldn't say this is one of them.

I don't think it's confirmed either way whether it's beneficial to leave someone up or keep everyone back. If it is then I haven't seen that statistic.

Some teams do. Some don't. It's the manager's preference.

I think you hear a lot of poor, unreasonable comments/moans in the ground but I wouldn't say this is one of them.

I bet it is statistically proved. I bet our management know the statistics. Pure logic also tells you this. Imagine the following scenario. For a million pounds some one says you can defend a corner with as many players or as few players as you want. Would you put someone on the halfway line?

if you left 9 men up on the halfway line when defending a corner... would the attacking team have to mark them all? in which case the corner taker would have no attacker to aim at, and you have successfully defended the corner before it is even taken.

We also have a mix of man and zonal marking.

Akinde's usually at the near post, as Rhead has been the last couple of seasons. This season we've also had Bostwick free on the edge of the 6 yard box.

What do you do when its half cleared and the ball is pumped straight back in then? It happens plenty of times.

I suppose what I don't get is why we seem to have every single player in the 18 yard box. Not that I dare to suggest I know anything like what the coaching staff do.

Last edited:
I bet it is statistically proved. I bet our management know the statistics. Pure logic also tells you this. Imagine the following scenario. For a million pounds some one says you can defend a corner with as many players or as few players as you want. Would you put someone on the halfway line?

I would have as many defending as possible if the corner was in isolation like a penalty shoot out but that isn't the case. There are benefits to leaving men up which we're currently missing out on. That's my point.

I would have as many defending as possible if the corner was in isolation like a penalty shoot out but that isn't the case. There are benefits to leaving men up which we're currently missing out on. That's my point.
Yes, there are benefits, but they just don ‘t outweigh the risks. The likelihood of scoring from a corner are relatively high. Therefore, defend that situation first, as effectively as you can. Once the corner is over, so is most of the danger. Balls pumped into the box from a less advantageous position near halfway are much easier to defend.Once the danger is over, there are 89mins left to worry about scoring at the other end. Also the man on the halfway line will still be unlikely to get on the end of the clearance, so usually it’s pumped back in anyway. As I say, I am sure the management have weighed up the pro’s and con’s. If they think it make sense to defend this way, both options will have already have been considered, and the most beneficial method selected.

Last edited:
If you watch carefully normally we do have everybody back BUT........Andrade will be the furthest from the goal ready to press the ball once it is cleared.

if you left 9 men up on the halfway line when defending a corner... would the attacking team have to mark them all? in which case the corner taker would have no attacker to aim at, and you have successfully defended the corner before it is even taken.

No. The attacking team would roll the ball into the box and one of their six or seven unmarked players would tap it in as everyone on the defending team tries to rush back realising their 'tactic' didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator: