Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crewe Alexandra | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crewe Alexandra

Agreed. A lot of our set-piece delivery is bordering on atrocious at present. Several corners were ballooned way over the box yesterday. At times it doesn't even seem to matter who takes them either.

There were two in particular I noticed at the SW/Co-op corner second half, where two identical consecutive deliveries avoided the densely-packed penalty area altogether, seemingly aimed towards O'Connor outside the box which, I'm fairly sure, wasnt the intention.

Firstly apologies to the NOT late Barry Davies!!
Secondly, think most (however it's expressed) seem to be agreement that we can and will be actually better than we have managed so far. And that is actually something amazing to look forward to.
We really do have the most talented squad we have had for decades. And when all the talent clicks together we are going to be some team!!!

The key is the goals conceded column. It's not only that we're not conceding but in general even when the opposition have plenty of the ball we don't even concede chances. We're good in transition when we lose the ball too.

If we maintain this defensive form then it buys us a lot of time to 'click' although some of the attacking issues being discussed may relate to a defensive approach in terms of numbers in advanced areas.

Maybe we haven't quite found the attack / defend balance but the goals for and against columns look very healthy to me.

There were two in particular I noticed at the SW/Co-op corner second half, where two identical consecutive deliveries avoided the densely-packed penalty area altogether, seemingly aimed towards O'Connor outside the box which, I'm fairly sure, wasnt the intention.
Funny you should say this. There was a corner v Cheltenham that came out to Pett and I couldn't decide if it was intentional or not. Maybe they are adding a few wrinkles to the corners and they are not quite working yet.

It was hard work yesterday, but thankfully that's not something we're not scared of. Neither of our wingers really got going and as a result we struggled as an attacking force. Akinde is obviously a real handful, and has provided some vital assists recently, but i've hot to be honest and still think there is something not quite right there. I think players thrive in partnerships, and i don't think his with McCarten is fully up to speed yet.

It was hard work yesterday, but thankfully that's not something we're not scared of. Neither of our wingers really got going and as a result we struggled as an attacking force. Akinde is obviously a real handful, and has provided some vital assists recently, but i've hot to be honest and still think there is something not quite right there. I think players thrive in partnerships, and i don't think his with McCarten is fully up to speed yet.

And the best thing is we are 4 pts clear at the top WITHOUT yet reaching the standard of play we can and will achieve.

I'd rather have our one goal yesterday and the points than Morecambe's three and their result....

Come on you Imps!!!!!! ©

New it would be a much improved performance in the second half as I was served a nice Bovril in the legends lounge at half time.

Are you the chair of the fan club or something Greame? ;)He didn't have a very good game, and he isn't scoring goals. Bit like a defender or Goalkeeper leaking them.

Something is not right, he doesn't look as bright as earlier on in the season. Perhaps we are not playing to his strengths. Perhaps he is being asked to perform a role he is not used to or not as good at doing.

He is paid to score goals and he isn't. Sorry to be so blunt....but I am worried for the lad. He doesn't seem at the races in patches of the game. Mini Jeff explains it better....in technical speak....
Paid to score goals but if he's still contributing, which he is, there isn't too much of a problem.

I bet those having a pop at Akinde now are the same numpties who wanted Green out the side around this time last season because he wasn't scoring. Yet, like Akinde, Green was still contributing.

Paid to score goals but if he's still contributing, which he is, there isn't too much of a problem.

I bet those having a pop at Akinde now are the same numpties who wanted Green out the side around this time last season because he wasn't scoring. Yet, like Akinde, Green was still contributing.

I agree about the comparison to Green last season and discussed it.in the pub before the game. I do however think there should be more coming from Akinde. It's been noticable that the major contributions he's made recently (and there have been several) have been in a role that we all pretty much agreed wasn't his strong point (the Matt Rhead target man/knock down role.) I'd like to see a bit more of his other attributes

S**t sorry guys, that originally said he didn’t do a bad job then I changed bad to good and forgot to take the not out.

I meant to say:

The team is scoring goals. Thus (damn straight I went there) Akinde is doing well.

Muchos apologies to those who replied to my idiocy.

Think this was fairly obvious I thought, not sure why it was taken so literally to be honest!

I agree about the comparison to Green last season and discussed it.in the pub before the game. I do however think there should be more coming from Akinde. It's been noticable that the major contributions he's made recently (and there have been several) have been in a role that we all pretty much agreed wasn't his strong point (the Matt Rhead target man/knock down role.) I'd like to see a bit more of his other attributes
Agreed, which would probably suggest he's adapting to us better than we're adapting to him.

Whilst we're generally trying to get it into his feet/chest, we've not really given him many opportunities to get in behind on goal like he did so many times for Barnet.

Think this was fairly obvious I thought, not sure why it was taken so literally to be honest!
I’ve been calling for Akinde to be dropped for a league game as a reminder about competition to encourage him to turn good to great. Most disagree with me here so I can see why the confusion occurred.

As has been noted on this thread and I saw it mentioned following another game. A fair few corners go past the box and there's no one there to bang it back in. The loco is great but we should have a man at the other side of the area in case ( when) it comes over. In my non- expert opinion.

As has been noted on this thread and I saw it mentioned following another game. A fair few corners go past the box and there's no one there to bang it back in. The loco is great but we should have a man at the other side of the area in case ( when) it comes over. In my non- expert opinion.

Agree. A single carriage train towards the back post would do.

On corners, I still don't understand why we don't leave one of the wingers up when defending corners. It just comes straight back when we clear it.

The key is the goals conceded column. It's not only that we're not conceding but in general even when the opposition have plenty of the ball we don't even concede chances. We're good in transition when we lose the ball too.

If we maintain this defensive form then it buys us a lot of time to 'click' although some of the attacking issues being discussed may relate to a defensive approach in terms of numbers in advanced areas.

Maybe we haven't quite found the attack / defend balance but the goals for and against columns look very healthy to me.
these are good points. seeing the wider picture rather than the microscopic attention on akinde's individual performances.

On corners, I still don't understand why we don't leave one of the wingers up when defending corners. It just comes straight back when we clear it.

I imagine it's something to do with statistical probabilities about conceding when the penalty area is more crowded, which may also be why we seem to have played so many short corners.

On that note, on average teams score (or concede) from 1 corner in every 30. That's a stat that has passed the test of time, so if you're doing better than that at both ends you're out-performing.

So far this season I think we've scored 3 from 74 corners (Swindon, Macc, MK) and conceded 1 from 52 (Bury).

That's too small a sample to be truly meaningful, but in so far as it is, we're pretty much on the average for goals scored but certainly ahead of the game on goals conceded.