Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town

Mathematical confirmation of promotion deserves a quiet acknowledgment but a full blown celebration would be premature and inappropriate.
We have 4 very tough games ahead against teams who currently have a chance of either play offs, or automatic promotion in Tranmere’s case.

Our biggest threat is complacency, which I believe has cost us numerous points in recent home games. Our team is much, much better playing in a pressure situation. A ‘job done’ attitude could lead to poor results in the next few games, which might not stop us getting the title but would definitely tarnish the season, which we want to remember as a great one.

We must avoid doing what Doncaster did two years ago when they lost every match after securing promotion.

I’m sure we all want a genuine celebration after Colchester, not just to go through the motions.

The best way to secure that will be to treat every match to the end of the season as a cup final and to prove we are worthy champions.

Extending the unbeaten run record has to be a key motivation. Plus as a consequence, matching the 75/76 team's 4 defeats only in the season.
Really hope we achieve that.

City have now scored in 31 successive games, 26 in the league.

Club records are:

1. The record in all competitions is 39 in a row from 1/3/1930 to 15/1/1931 inclusive (i.e. spread across two seasons).

2. The record for games in all competitions in a single season is 34 between 19/9/1936 and 7/4/1937.

3. The record for league games only is 37 in a row from 1/3/1930 to 15/1/1931 inclusive, spread across two seasons (i.e. the same sequence as in 1. above).

4. The record for league games only in a single season is 31 from 19/9/1936 to 7/4/1937 and again from 1/9/1951 to 8/3/1952 inclusive.

Therefore, we need to score in every remaining game this season to break the record for 2; that will also give us an opportunity to continue the run at the start of next season and break 1 and 3 as well. We cannot equal the record for 4.

Last edited:
A win at Carlisle will break the club record for points away from home, which currently stands at 44 in 2016-17.

We have already broken the record for the FL, which previously stood at 36 in 2003-04.

A win will also break the club record for league wins away from home in a FL season, which we have already equalled with 12 (set in 1947-48). It will then equal the club record of 13 league away wins in a season, set in 2016-17 (National League) and 1908-09 (Midland League).

Mansfield scored direct from a corner yesterday - it was also their only shot on target.

Completely arbitrary but I spotted this on the Northampton forum

"Mansfield are clearly up there by just being a well drilled hoof balling side, a Lincoln City but without the quality attackers or the incessant cheating."

Oh my. They'll be loving that on Stagsnet.

Part of the confusion was also that different apps were showing different scores. Add that to one (or both?) of the games finishing later than ours (or at least showing as finishing later on the apps) and it was a bit of a double whammy.

Sky obviously have their own system that picks things up quicker but we don't have that.