Match Thread: Lincoln City v Burton Albion | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Burton Albion

I am not so sure we are saving cash for next year.

It is more that we spent a lot the previous years and now we are stabilising finances.

Gratitude to the investors and the season ticket holders, we speculated to get promoted and it paid off. Now we are living within our means which is small fish in a big pond.

I suspect we will sell players like Scully on to ensure we stay league 1 as we don’t have the resource to be there any other way.

As a number have said "a strange match".

Thought Scully was exposed a bit defensively first half down the right and whatever ability Sheehan may bring in future games, defensively today he was a definite downgrade on Bolger in terms of pure defending and that's without considering the penalty. But as with most players, it's difficult to make much of a judgement on one game but would probably be fair to say, there should be scope for improvement.

To still win after conceding two first half goals is a very big positive.

To score goals needs a bit of extra quality and we do have a few players with a bit of extra quality.

Most of that extra quality today came from a player that keeps getting dropped by amateur managers in pick the next XI threads and tipped to leave at the end of the season by others but still has yet to miss a league game this season. Neal Eardley is his name.
Two excellent crosses set up goals 2 and 3.

Vickers also had a pretty good game. A really good save with his legs early in the second half and a number of strong punches (although in years gone by the fashion would have been to catch a good proportion of them). There was one flap when he completely missed the ball but was his only error and a penalty save to earn us 3 points instead of one.

A win next week would all but consign any nagging worries anyone has.

Are we playing like a well oiled machine? Definitely not.

Are Hopper, Scully, Coventry, Melbourne and Edun likely to be better next week than they were a few weeks ago, pretty likely.

Is the thinking joined up and the plan being enacted?

Yes and No.

Is the playing age younger - Yes
Do we have less loan players - No
Is the style changing - To an extent - but styles should change with opposition and your relative strengths. Good sides can win in various ways.
Do we have more pace and athleticism - Melbourne and John - Jules (pre injury) have pace, Coventry is more mobile than O'Connor was.
Do we have a young, quick centre back - No

It you accept this - then you would probably conceded we have made a start. Are we anywhere near to being where we hope to get? No.

But 3 points today - was a morale boost and a small step along the way to where we want to get.

Delighted to see my first Imps win in about 11 months :wahey: We looked a bit off the pace at the start but managed to ride our luck at times but to come from behind twice to take the points. Burton can be a difficult side to overcome so to do the double is very admirable.

Just got home. Had a blast today, travelling down, meeting fans from this forum, the game itself and of course the result.
Would have been happy with a draw but felt we deserved the win after a slow start. Just remind me again, weren't Burton in the Championship last season whilst we were League 1? In that case a brilliant win!
So, all the pieces of the jigsaw might not be in position at the moment but they are certainly coming together under MApp. Up the Imps!
:wahey::wahey::wahey::wahey::wahey:

Burton finished 9th in League One last season

It is more that we spent a lot the previous years and now we are stabilising finances.

Gratitude to the investors and the season ticket holders, we speculated to get promoted and it paid off. Now we are living within our means which is small fish in a big pond.

I suspect we will sell players like Scully on to ensure we stay league 1 as we don’t have the resource to be there any other way.

I don't believe we will be spending as much as last season but I do believe the moves we made in January were a calculated risk to survive this year in order to have more cash to spend next season. Appelton has said the side he puts out in August will be 'very different' to the one we have right now and we will reduce reliance on loan players. Think its a case of survive this year, blood in some of the new permanent signings and then really action his plan in thr summer with some quality players (mix of youth AND experience). I can't wait for us to be mathematically safe (touch wood) and then look forward to really seeing Appeltons moves in the summer.

Don't worry too much, they have beaten Shrewsbury and Accrington. Their last six games are a nightmare - Doncaster, Rotherham, Gillingham, Fleetwood, Oxford, Peterborough.

Tranmere's next four are City, Rochdale, Wimbledon and MK Don's. Good chance of dragging someone into trouble by the end of March.

Good to see MA having the confidence to do nothing.

After an hour there are the usual mutterings about why haven't we made any substitutions... "I would bring on the kit man or the corner flag" because they have not been on the pitch yet (or only on the very periphery in the case of the corner flag) and they are bound to improve things.

Often the best players to see out the match are those you thought best to start it.
(Unless like Grant they pick up a knock).

I think it's been pretty much confirmed that we've been hampered this season by contract and transfer bonuses from getting promoted so next season becomes a clean slate and I think part of that was to shift on players, if possible, earlier than we normally would. Perhaps an element of balancing the books this season but I think we also saw it as an opportunity to raise funds heading into next.

It’s a shame not to see Pett getting more game time. I think it was the pre season injury that took his summer away, stopped him getting back in the groove and by the time the new manager was in, Pett was always playing catch up when we weren’t in form where we could play catch up.

Think a fully fit Pett could have done a job this season for us.

It’s a shame not to see Pett getting more game time. I think it was the pre season injury that took his summer away, stopped him getting back in the groove and by the time the new manager was in, Pett was always playing catch up when we weren’t in form where we could play catch up.

Think a fully fit Pett could have done a job this season for us.

Well once we are safe and maybe at end of season, maybe players will get a chance to at least have a farewell appearance.
Pett has given his all for us once he got properly into the team, and Freck has been a legend and particularly deserves a proper goodbye to his home crowd. It's not often one of own get to have a career like he has had