Match Thread: Lincoln City v Burton Albion | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Burton Albion

Strange game really, thought Josh could have done better for the 1st goal and we were a bit all over the place. After we scored, then gained confidence and dominated for a short while till we gave another one away. Came back as we know and was a bit the opposite of Accrington. Sheehan played the Shackell role with giving away a penalty but didn’t do the own goal thankfully.
Vickers redeemed himself with a good penalty save and I don’t blame him for punching on occasion.
Other games we’ve played better and got nothing but you take 3 points when you can

Performances slightly immaterial at the moment and the 3pts all but secures our safety in League One.

We had some very good passage of play and some very poor. You can see the game plan. It isn’t always well executed but I do believe this time next year we will be in a far better place.

Performances slightly immaterial at the moment and the 3pts all but secures our safety in League One.

We had some very good passage of play and some very poor. You can see the game plan. It isn’t always well executed but I do believe this time next year we will be in a far better place.
.. Rodders we'll be millionaires.

Little bit too tense today but a most welcome 3 points which will help us get over that threat of relegation line. Credit to Hopper with his two goals and Vickers for that penalty save. Scully will be a massive attacking player for us. Causes the opposition so many problems.
I know that many still have a lingering doubt over whether we could get dragged back into the dogfight as we all lived through that surrender in 2010/11, but today showed the big difference in the team we have now to that one from almost a decade ago. Today's players want to play for this team and will give their all. With a couple of exceptions ( Paul Green, Ashley Grimes up to a point ) the 2010/11 team that folded gave the impression that they didn't care. Today you've got players running themselves into the ground and chucking themselves at efforts by Burton putting themselves on the line.

Next week at Tranmere will be still a very big test. They have turned a little corner, but should we get a result there next Saturday it will all but mathematically shut the door on going down.
Even if we don't get the win I still think there are other teams ( Wimbledon, MK Bristol Rovers who have really fallen away of late ) who can be more concerned over a Tranmere revival than us.

I've been defending the "project" as I think it's the right way to go, and I still think Appleton is a good choice to put it into practice, but as we won today (a lucky win as Burton were the better side) it's a good time to bring some things up.

When he came in the manager, correctly I thought, said the team is too old, there's not enough pace in it and there are too many loan players.

We're still playing with three 30-somethings in the back four, the latest replacing another discarded one of those by choice. We lost our three quickest players in January, for understandable reasons, but quick players of that type have not been brought in. Today's line up contained a three man midfield which is entirely on loan to us. 5 or 6 of that 11 will probably not be at the club come June.

I'm quite prepared to say this season is an experiment to prepare for the next but where is the joined-up thinking?

It's beginning to look like a jumble of tactics and line ups in the hope that something actually works. As a result of the John-Jules injury he will probably now have to persist with Hopper and Scully which is a good thing. Hopper looked like a proper centre forward today and Scully is promising even if he is incredibly green.

We do have a number of new signings, though, who I hope respond well to coaching as I'm not convinced they're going to be of L1 standard.

The most composed player in the team is obviously Bridcutt, he looks a division above everyone else in the side, and if he signs for next season it would be a scoop, but I don't expect it.

I've never thought we would be anywhere near relegation and I'm usually pretty patient, but I'm starting to wonder what is being worked towards at the moment because there's no real identity and some of our players are just not very comfortable on the ball. Possession is given away very cheaply far too often.

We were jittery at the back particularly first half but it could be expected given that it was Sheehan 1st game since October, Bossie 2nd game in 6 weeks and Melbourne only played 8/9 all season and last appearance over a month ago.

After a very dodgy first 20 we scrapped and battled to three very welcome points. Looked very rusty and out of sorts for the first half but got the goals at the right time before our heads dropped. Their reserve keeper looked very poor and should have pressured him more than we did. No real outstanding performance apart from Bridcutt, but to come from behind twice and win says a lot for the character. Scully is a very good signing a real live wire and 100% effort . The crowd really got behind us today and kept em going. Relief at the end and a double over a very decent passing side.

I've been defending the "project" as I think it's the right way to go, and I still think Appleton is a good choice to put it into practice, but as we won today (a lucky win as Burton were the better side) it's a good time to bring some things up.

When he came in the manager, correctly I thought, said the team is too old, there's not enough pace in it and there are too many loan players.

We're still playing with three 30-somethings in the back four, the latest replacing another discarded one of those by choice. We lost our three quickest players in January, for understandable reasons, but quick players of that type have not been brought in. Today's line up contained a three man midfield which is entirely on loan to us. 5 or 6 of that 11 will probably not be at the club come June.

I'm quite prepared to say this season is an experiment to prepare for the next but where is the joined-up thinking?

It's beginning to look like a jumble of tactics and line ups in the hope that something actually works. As a result of the John-Jules injury he will probably now have to persist with Hopper and Scully which is a good thing. Hopper looked like a proper centre forward today and Scully is promising even if he is incredibly green.

We do have a number of new signings, though, who I hope respond well to coaching as I'm not convinced they're going to be of L1 standard.

The most composed player in the team is obviously Bridcutt, he looks a division above everyone else in the side, and if he signs for next season it would be a scoop, but I don't expect it.

I've never thought we would be anywhere near relegation and I'm usually pretty patient, but I'm starting to wonder what is being worked towards at the moment because there's no real identity and some of our players are just not very comfortable on the ball. Possession is given away very cheaply far too often.

I don’t think we are actually playing with next year in mind only in terms of style and MAPP method of footballing philosophy.

The advantage for those who will be with us next season have an early hand of what is expected. But I agree we haven’t currently got an 11 who can execute to a tee.

Decision making in January selling out of contract players, and subsequently moving on big earners to lower the wage bill has happened. This with next year in mind releasing vital funds for MAPP to invest in players to execute his style. Arguably relationships have also been built with Premier League clubs trusting us with their players, and the age of the squad has been lowered. I imagine the board will also back MAPP as this style of play needs better more expensive technical players.

However, there was no chance of signing players in January that will be first team players come August bar those who have potential i.e. Edun, Melbourne and Scully.

MAPP has said we are a million miles away from where we want to and need to be. We need to get to end to the end of the season with our future in League One.

I don’t think we are actually playing with next year in mind only in terms of style and MAPP method of footballing philosophy.

The advantage for those who will be with us next season have an early hand of what is expected. But I agree we haven’t currently got an 11 who can execute to a tee.

Decision making in January selling out of contract players, and subsequently moving on big earners to lower the wage bill has happened. This with next year in mind releasing vital funds for MAPP to invest in players to execute his style. Arguably relationships have also been built with Premier League clubs trusting us with their players, and the age of the squad has been lowered. I imagine the board will also back MAPP as this style of play needs better more expensive technical players.

However, there was no chance of signing players in January that will be first team players come August bar those who have potential i.e. Edun, Melbourne and Scully.

MAPP has said we are a million miles away from where we want to and need to be. We need to get to end to the end of the season with our future in League One.

Well said!

Just got home. Had a blast today, travelling down, meeting fans from this forum, the game itself and of course the result.
Would have been happy with a draw but felt we deserved the win after a slow start. Just remind me again, weren't Burton in the Championship last season whilst we were League 1? In that case a brilliant win!
So, all the pieces of the jigsaw might not be in position at the moment but they are certainly coming together under MApp. Up the Imps!
:wahey::wahey::wahey::wahey::wahey: