Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers | Page 26 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers

One of those today, we just didn’t get our play going that we’ve seen in recent weeks - just didn’t seem on it or getting the rub of the green. Jackson had a mare with a silly rash challenge for the pen then over-running the ball and leaving a boot in for his second yellow. A bright young side, we’ll occasionally have these unfortunately - we’ve already shown after Liverpool that we have the strength to bounce back, tough game next week where the minerals need to be shown
Will take a draw next week. Fleetwood looked good last night.

Can someone sort out who scored Lincoln’s goal yesterday please. According to the BBC Football website report, they quote that Lewis Montsma scored his sixth goal of the season, and Jorge Grant’s free kick was headed home by Lewis Montsma, yet the headline score has Baldwin scoring an own goal 🤔🥴🤪

Sounds like we were a little off today.

However, if we look at five league games played and 12 points, what's not to like?

Everything is a chance to learn and improve.

Come on you Imps!!!!!! ©

That's the real nub of it- cracking start to the season, not quite at the races today but neither were Hull on Friday (who hadn't even conceded a goal before Fleetwood). It's football, it happens.

Onto the next game....

Not seen our penalty incident yet, conveniently missing off the highlights.
Maybe those that put them together didn't think it was as controversial as some believe?
One of those decisions that could have gone either way. Over the years, it has definitely shifted to more likely than not.

Can someone sort out who scored Lincoln’s goal yesterday please. According to the BBC Football website report, they quote that Lewis Montsma scored his sixth goal of the season, and Jorge Grant’s free kick was headed home by Lewis Montsma, yet the headline score has Baldwin scoring an own goal 🤔🥴🤪
Montsma’s was the original header but the Rovers player got the final touch. To me the ball was going in so by normal rules should be Montsma’s goal I think

Surely he has.

By definition that is the managers job but for every player. But more importantly for the effectiveness of the team overall.

The fact you see Grant as the most important player in the team, paradoxically means the manager must be using him in an effective way. That is to say you obviously think he is playing well and he couldn't do that if he was being employed badly.

Could he be used even more effectively.

That is MAs call.

When Grant is moved to a more central role, his passing skills are better utilised but his pace, physicality and defensive ability are likely to be tested more.

Now when you are behind, chasing games, the improvement in attacking threat is obviously most important.

But at the start of games or when we are leading, the defensive side of things is equally if not more important.

Grant has improved his game without the ball.
The question though is still, would a move in Grant's position increase the overall effectiveness of the whole team.

In terms of results ( unless you think it would have made us beat Liverpool), moving Grant could not have improved them this season, until today.

Agree with what you say and it is easier to judge a player as an individual rather than someone who has to fit into a team around ten other players and into a teams ethic in regards of how the manager wants to utilise that particular player.
If I stated my personal opinion it would be that I would like to see him in a free role just behind the forwards. I think that role suits his skill set of being good on the ball, good first touch, being able to see a pass and execute it. I think he is a creative player but I also appreciate that the manager has to fit him and 10 others into roles that suits the way he wants the team to play and sometimes players have to adapt to roles and positions that maybe just outside their comfort zone.
It's a difficult job for the manager and there are plenty of options in the midfield to choose from but that's why hes picking the team and the likes of us are doing the easy bit of just giving our opinion.

I think I would say it was an OG.

Montsma headed the ball into the ground and the inrushing defender knocked it into the net.

x.jpg

I guess our luck was going to run out at some point. Wasn’t a terrible performance, but wasn’t a great one either.
Game of few chances really, I can only think of the save from Harry Anderson’s close range prod as the only time either keeper made anything other than a straight forward save. I think Rovers probably took their foot off the gas after they took the lead so whether that would have been different if they hadn’t don’t know.

We seem to have a terrible record against Bristol Rovers. I can vaguely remember a win against them in Schoey's season but that's it.

We seem to have a terrible record against Bristol Rovers. I can vaguely remember a win against them in Schoey's season but that's it.

It seems that way, but i remember the 80s when we always seemed to beat them comfortable, home and away.

MA thinks BR penalty was outside the area but I had no doubts it was inside from Ifollow, but freeze framing Quest, looks to me like it was outside & then slid into the area. If only the referee had the benefit of slow motion replays !B7DF84F1-C6B4-4AE2-AEC1-7521B049714A.jpeg148EC1E3-591D-4D6B-A5FF-011748F9F3D5.jpeg