Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bowers & Pitsea | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bowers & Pitsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a personal perspective I find this astonishing, our club are desperately trying to raise funds for the new Stacey West development, people put earlier on, that they would buy a ticket to give the club a tenner, even if they weren’t going to attend, and according to this they have given another club this hard earned money. A couple of the challenges yesterday could of put Bishop and Bramall out for the season.

If we were buying and selling players for millions I would totally agree with it, but when the club is asking fans to buy bonds and do fundraising, I don’t get it.

profits from a 1 off game gate might be a few thousand (I thought the away club in this competition already got a % anyway) but would be worth many times more if attracts positive attention to the club. Imagine if someone reads that headline and decides to invest because we a good ethical club or a few more people came through the turnstiles and become life long fans. Big gesture as it means a lot to a club (to us it’s chicken feed) like that plus we move ever closer to an away match at a premier league club.

Last edited:
From a personal perspective I find this astonishing, our club are desperately trying to raise funds for the new Stacey West development, people put earlier on, that they would buy a ticket to give the club a tenner, even if they weren’t going to attend, and according to this they have given another club this hard earned money. A couple of the challenges yesterday could of put Bishop and Bramall out for the season.

If we were buying and selling players for millions I would totally agree with it, but when the club is asking fans to buy bonds and do fundraising, I don’t get it.

Maybe practising what they preach? The club (rightly in my opinion) have been arguing for a greater share of TV rights etc to be distributed through the pyramid. Perhaps they see it as a chance for them to do their bit.

A good day I thought.

Seemed to be a lot of youngsters at the match and nearly 6000 was an excellent attendance compared with the other ties I would imagine.

The most important thing was to get in the next round. Our style and our pitch meant even a relatively tepid performance allowed us to completely dominate the match.

For those people who can remember as far back as August when TJ was being touted as coming to take the place of the obviously inferior Poole at right back, I haven't heard from you recently.

Mainly because Poole is a far better player than he was initially given credit for.

My view at the time was Poole was a bit better than TJ at right back and TJ had been fourth choice centre half (behind Walsh, Jackson and PFA team of the year member Montsma).

I also thought TJ had the potential to relatively soon become a first choice centre half.

He's still young and not at his physical peak, yet. He's still 21.

A Montsma/TJ partnership is less well equipped for a physical/aerial bombardment and that produced a few of dodgy moments yesterday. (Bostwick and Bolger would have had a much easier day - but we also know they aren't the way forward).

The head it, kick it defending of a centre half has always been a basic requirement. It's this missing piece in his development (adequate rather than dominant at the moment) that keeps him fourth in the pecking order. If he can get that sorted, he has plenty going for him as a centre half.

At the other end of the pitch... more players who are good but have great potential to get much better. Let's be honest, if you don't show potential against Bowers and Pitsea, you need to worry.

There were two promising strikers on the pitch yesterday, one belongs to Southampton and one to Lincoln. The Lincoln one certainly didn't suffer in comparison.

We are a young side with players who will get better.

Not a bad place to be whilst sitting in mid table in L1 and awaiting the second round draw of the FA Cup.

Several good things from yesterday not directly related to the game. SLO Alan Long and the Commander at RAF Waddington organised a very moving Remembrance tribute just before the game started , complete silence apart from the words and bugle. Poppy bucket collection raised £1200, brilliant.
LCFC as I understand it has donated any profit we made yesterday to Bowers and Pitsea, I presume this came from Clive, not surprising, class.
Sensible pricing policy yesterday and a decent gate, lots of youngsters and families. You never know they may want to go again !! Some of us probably started our affliction like that.
Amazing to see the Bowers and Pitsea team walk down Canwick Hill to SB from their overnighter at Mill Lodge. Love to see Man U and the like do either of those things, not !!
And finally I bet I was the only supporter stopped by a 3,000 ton ship crossing the road on the way home, Sutton Bridge.
UTI.

Several good things from yesterday not directly related to the game. SLO Alan Long and the Commander at RAF Waddington organised a very moving Remembrance tribute just before the game started , complete silence apart from the words and bugle. Poppy bucket collection raised £1200, brilliant.
LCFC as I understand it has donated any profit we made yesterday to Bowers and Pitsea, I presume this came from Clive, not surprising, class.
Sensible pricing policy yesterday and a decent gate, lots of youngsters and families. You never know they may want to go again !! Some of us probably started our affliction like that.
Amazing to see the Bowers and Pitsea team walk down Canwick Hill to SB from their overnighter at Mill Lodge. Love to see Man U and the like do either of those things, not !!
And finally I bet I was the only supporter stopped by a 3,000 ton ship crossing the road on the way home, Sutton Bridge.
UTI.

Man U would have flown down from Canwick Hill.

A good day I thought.

Seemed to be a lot of youngsters at the match and nearly 6000 was an excellent attendance compared with the other ties I would imagine.

The most important thing was to get in the next round. Our style and our pitch meant even a relatively tepid performance allowed us to completely dominate the match.

For those people who can remember as far back as August when TJ was being touted as coming to take the place of the obviously inferior Poole at right back, I haven't heard from you recently.

Mainly because Poole is a far better player than he was initially given credit for.

My view at the time was Poole was a bit better than TJ at right back and TJ had been fourth choice centre half (behind Walsh, Jackson and PFA team of the year member Montsma).

I also thought TJ had the potential to relatively soon become a first choice centre half.

He's still young and not at his physical peak, yet. He's still 21.

A Montsma/TJ partnership is less well equipped for a physical/aerial bombardment and that produced a few of dodgy moments yesterday. (Bostwick and Bolger would have had a much easier day - but we also know they aren't the way forward).

The head it, kick it defending of a centre half has always been a basic requirement. It's this missing piece in his development (adequate rather than dominant at the moment) that keeps him fourth in the pecking order. If he can get that sorted, he has plenty going for him as a centre half.

At the other end of the pitch... more players who are good but have great potential to get much better. Let's be honest, if you don't show potential against Bowers and Pitsea, you need to worry.

There were two promising strikers on the pitch yesterday, one belongs to Southampton and one to Lincoln. The Lincoln one certainly didn't suffer in comparison.

We are a young side with players who will get better.

Not a bad place to be whilst sitting in mid table in L1 and awaiting the second round draw of the FA Cup.

I imagine their fans will look back on their two best chances exactly as we look back on Nathan Arnolds shot against Arsenal (they hit the bar and forced Sam Long into a last second clawing the ball off the line remember). If either had gone in the game might have been completely different....

It's all relative. The money will make a far bigger difference to Bowers than Lincoln. If we're assuming an average on the day price of £5 net, then minus match costs and split 45/45/10, then it might be £10k or so?

Also bearing in mind the vast majority of the money currently raised for the SW is in the form of bonds and will *cost* the Club money in the long term. It's a form of lending.

Even those who've donated will feel invested in the project as well given the SW's significance.

This occurred to me too, and there are two sides to the argument.

There is a significant funding gap for the SW development, and the fans have been busting a gut to raise money to fill it. On VLC, we are delighted with the response to our joint venture which has raised close to £10,000 from a large number of supporters. Those supporters have given what they can and even donated their own possessions for auction because they want to support their club and help to improve the ground: there are many reasons for that including the desire to increase capacity, enhance the atmosphere, increase matchday and commercial revenue, and possibly to help keep the club at Sincil Bank. It is the first major development at the ground for more than 25 years and we are all eager to see it taking shape. Perhaps the funding gap is not as serious a problem as we all thought, but the donation of yesterday's profits will possibly have raised an eyebrow at RICT too. The actual amount will never be known, but it will be far from 'chicken feed' as one supporter called it: assuming average earnings of £5 per attendee, 45% will be at least £13,000, which is more than we have collected via our own fundraiser.

On the other side of the coin, our directors have earned the right to make such decisions. They have put a large amount of time and an even larger amount of money into this club, money that has transformed it from National League stragglers into Championship contenders in five years. They have made an awful lot of correct decisions and I trust them to make more. This club has a great reputation in the football world and that has undoubtedly attracted the likes of Harvey Jabara to invest substantial amounts. Remember what he said about finding the right club to invest in? I am proud that this club chooses to conduct itself in the right way, and the donation to Bowers & Pitsea comes straight from an implicit understanding of how the FA Cup can transform a small club and a desire to assist where we can.

As for the SW development, I am certain the directors will ensure it is built and paid for with minimal impact on the playing side. We do have £22,629 in prize money that we may not have had with a more difficult first round draw, and we also have the opportunity to progress further in the competition. The luck of the draw comes into play again tomorrow night, but there is £34,000 in prize money to be won for a second round win: perhaps our own 2021-22 FA Cup story has a distance to run yet.

This occurred to me too, and there are two sides to the argument.

There is a significant funding gap for the SW development, and the fans have been busting a gut to raise money to fill it. On VLC, we are delighted with the response to our joint venture which has raised close to £10,000 from a large number of supporters. Those supporters have given what they can and even donated their own possessions for auction because they want to support their club and help to improve the ground: there are many reasons for that including the desire to increase capacity, enhance the atmosphere, increase matchday and commercial revenue, and possibly to help keep the club at Sincil Bank. It is the first major development at the ground for more than 25 years and we are all eager to see it taking shape. Perhaps the funding gap is not as serious a problem as we all thought, but the donation of yesterday's profits will possibly have raised an eyebrow at RICT too. The actual amount will never be known, but it will be far from 'chicken feed' as one supporter called it: assuming average earnings of £5 per attendee, 45% will be at least £13,000, which is more than we have collected via our own fundraiser.

On the other side of the coin, our directors have earned the right to make such decisions. They have put a large amount of time and an even larger amount of money into this club, money that has transformed it from National League stragglers into Championship contenders in five years. They have made an awful lot of correct decisions and I trust them to make more. This club has a great reputation in the football world and that has undoubtedly attracted the likes of Harvey Jabara to invest substantial amounts. Remember what he said about finding the right club to invest in? I am proud that this club chooses to conduct itself in the right way, and the donation to Bowers & Pitsea comes straight from an implicit understanding of how the FA Cup can transform a small club and a desire to assist where we can.

As for the SW development, I am certain the directors will ensure it is built and paid for with minimal impact on the playing side. We do have £22,629 in prize money that we may not have had with a more difficult first round draw, and we also have the opportunity to progress further in the competition. The luck of the draw comes into play again tomorrow night, but there is £34,000 in prize money to be won for a second round win: perhaps our own 2021-22 FA Cup story has a distance to run yet.
Think by saying 'profit' that will be net of the costs of us staging the game yesterday, suspect it will amount to £5,000 / £6,000 maximum which will be given to B and P. Thats still a lot of raffle tickets and hard fund raising mind you ,but the good name it gives our Club now and in the future is beneficial too, imo.

Perhaps all the money bags Premiershite clubs will take notice and replicate this fantastic gesture and start to assist clubs at that level.

UTI.

I actually enjoyed the game yesterday with fewer fans in. Got served quicker in the pubs and at the ground. Also no corporate attendees in the LL so able to talk proper football with people and not those on a freebie.

A bit like the old days.

If you want to donate to the club, send the club a donation.

If you want to pay the VAT man £1.67 and expect the club to mind read your intention for the remaining £8.33 to be a donation, buy a match ticket you don't intend to use.

As for the "profits" going to Bowers and Pitsea... it's surprising how often if you keep doing the right thing, it pays you back.

Even if it never directly pays dividends, it does indicate again, the board is interested in furthering football rather than making financial gain from it.

A reassuring feeling for a supporter of any football club.

Frankly we are not rich enough to make these gestures,although it would be helpful if we new how much this gift was.Estimates range from £6,000 to £ 20,000. We dont know if the revenue includes the prize money or other add ons like programme sales or 50/50 tickets. Similarly do the costs include players wages ect ? I would say many came yesterday mainly to support the club financially but were also happy to benefit B & P through the shared revenue of gate receipts,but no more than that. The giving away of the profits means the first part no longer applies.

Frankly we are not rich enough to make these gestures,although it would be helpful if we new how much this gift was.Estimates range from £6,000 to £ 20,000. We dont know if the revenue includes the prize money or other add ons like programme sales or 50/50 tickets. Similarly do the costs include players wages ect ? I would say many came yesterday mainly to support the club financially but were also happy to benefit B & P through the shared revenue of gate receipts,but no more than that. The giving away of the profits means the first part no longer applies.
I think we could be fairly sure doesn’t include programmes (maybe they could share the losses) or 50/50. And whoever heard of deducting players wages from gate receipts.
My vague memory of working on football finances is that gate receipts less reasonable expenses (stewards,turnstiles etc) is what is shared. Remembering admission includes VAT as well which is excluded.

if it’s profit from the day I should imagine it’s 45% of the figure that equates to match day revenue minus match costs. I suspect a few thousand

I think we could be fairly sure doesn’t include programmes (maybe they could share the losses) or 50/50. And whoever heard of deducting players wages from gate receipts.
My vague memory of working on football finances is that gate receipts less reasonable expenses (stewards,turnstiles etc) is what is shared. Remembering admission includes VAT as well which is excluded.

Thats absolutely correct when you are considering the gate income distribution. But if you are looking at the overall profit of the tie,then potentially you do have to look at things like prize money,wages ect. I dont know if LCFC have used that criteria or not.

As a side issue I thought you were not allowed to gift your FA cup share of receipts.

Simples for everyone just govin line and check the rules

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefa...up/rules-of-the-fa-challenge-cup-2021-22.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.