Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers

I thought we played better in the first half - at least from what we saw of it - but all through didn't make the most of several opportunities to score which is what cost us.

Griffiths and Edun equally culpable for their goal.

After they scored we looked really ragged for the remainder of the game and never looked like getting back into it.

Bridcutt man of the match for me. I thought Adelakun was a mixture of good and bad.

Harsh on us. Bolton were pretty good but a draw was deserved. The goal was a catastrophic series of errors . We played some good stuff but Bolton were comfortable and we did not press high enough. Mcgandles has not started the season well. Melbourne has a mistake in him as does Griffiths so far. Hopper also too quiet. Bridcutt was Man of the match by a country mile. The rest good in patches. It does show how tough the league is.

I thought we played better in the first half - at least from what we saw of it - but all through didn't make the most of several opportunities to score which is what cost us.

Griffiths and Edun equally culpable for their goal.

After they scored we looked really ragged for the remainder of the game and never looked like getting back into it.

Bridcutt man of the match for me. I thought Adelakun was a mixture of good and bad.
Fair summary. Did note that Adelakun also made one terrific defensive intervention in the second half.

Unlucky to lose from what I saw. A fast end-to-end game which really could of gone either way, but is decided by our missing a great opportunity at one end and then two compounding defensive errors at the other. With an incomplete and not fully fit side out, there is plenty to be positive about, but that “nil” is a concern, against a team that has let in six in their first two games - should all come right as the fitness and our team technical awareness grows. Tonight is one of those annoying “if only” games. We’re on the right trajectory.

Still a bit raw and frustrated. A different match if Scully had slotted home just before they scored. He didn’t and they capitalised on a defensive error. However for me despite some very tidy football, we were marshalled well in that all important final third which meant we were continually having to go back and probe again. Maybe it’s just me, but at times I all I wanted was us to be more aggressive and get the ball in the box and work their keeper. After all that’s where the goal is. Teams are coming here, and shoring up at the back and pressing high. We are going to have to find a way to spring this. Still it’s very early days yet and I’m sure things will click soon. On a positive note great to hear we’ve snapped up TJ. Roll on Wycombe. UTI. 😃

Interestingly or not, I left iFollow on at the end, played the first half bit we missed and has now cut to the second half...So just catching up with that...

too many not quite at the races tonight. bridcutt and poole best picks, melbourne improved again but will soon be back to 4th choice. based on early season form I can’t see hopper or mcrgrandles being as prominent as last season… edun and scully inconsistent but have to expect that. two big take aways are we need a creative influence in the three, not working with mcgrandles and sorensen, & way for bramall not to play himself back into first team contention, lad stunk the gaff out .

Thought it was a decent game, nice tight affair and a draw would have been about right.

Big Apple called it we lacked a bit up from and creativity from the midfield. Crucial to get Bishop, Macguire fit for a greater threat, plus another addition through the door. Also for all the other injuries to be available.

We didn’t get beat due to a lack of trying, and shows how far we have come when Bolton are celebrating like they won the cup.

Interestingly or not, I left iFollow on at the end, played the first half bit we missed and has now cut to the second half...So just catching up with that...

Time clearly doesn't travel linearly in iFollow land but that doesn't mean we aren't entitled to a refund.

In fact the result is justification enough.

I can see us mid-table. 10th -14th. No better.
too many not quite at the races tonight. bridcutt and poole best picks, melbourne improved again but will soon be back to 4th choice. based on early season form I can’t see hopper or mcrgrandles being as prominent as last season… edun and scully inconsistent but have to expect that. two big take aways are we need a creative influence in the three, not working with mcgrandles and sorensen, & way for bramall not to play himself back into first team contention, lad stunk the gaff out .
Credit where credit is due, Poole had a good game, best I've seen since he joined. I have no idea why Appleton brought on Bramall as the first sub at a crucial time of the game, I'm sure he wishes he hadn't, he was dung.

Every team wants a top striker and I'm afraid Hopper is not good enough. Priority for us but it will be £££££
TJ has Harry Kane in his car boot.

Seriously, Hopper peforms the role MA expects of him. He does it with stamina and determination and it involves a lot more than just banging in the goals. When we are ineffective in front of goal, as we were tonight, it usually stems from a well organised defence isolating Hopper from the other 2 forwards and the midfield not getting forward enough.

Nonetheless, Scully, Adelakun and Sorensen all had good chances tonight, as last season the method requires goals across the team.

Hopper works his socks off for the team, no one should underestimate his contribution, week in week out and remember who got us through the semi’s last season!

I imagine he would welcome some competition up top to share the burden over a season. The Cowleys said they were player centric but in reality some of our players have knackered themselves playing through injuries for sustained periods to help get us where we are today.

Last edited:
Decent game of football tonight and we did create some half decent chances especially the one after about 5 or 6 minutes which would of put a marker down for the game.
Currently we are transitioning so it's going to takes a few weeks to bring in the players the manager wants and bed them in alongside the other new players we have signed.
There's no doubt we need more up top but the manager knows that so a little patience is required but I think we will look a totally different team in four to six weeks time providing we can keep key players fit.

Hopper works his socks off for the team, no one should underestimate his contribution, week in week out and remember who got us through the semi’s last season!

I imagine he would welcome some competition up top to share the burden over a season. The Cowleys said they were player centric but in reality some of our players have knackered themselves playing through injuries for sustained periods to help get us where we are today.

Hopper has got better and better since he first joined us.
But yes if we have the means to bring someone else in then of course we should. Any and every position that can be improved or enhanced is something all teams will always seek to do.