Match Thread: Lincoln City v Blackpool | Page 36 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Blackpool

Well, today was one hell of an experience, and worth every penny.

Arrived at Wembley just after 12, we were taken to our table, had a three-course meal, which was superb, we got through a few bottles of wine, and I also had a couple of Ciders, and the service was outstanding.
Glad you got a great day out. You work hard on this site to support the club and deserve it.

I was behind the largest clump of 617 in block 117; about 30 or so and also saw a full coke bottle thrown up so it headed for our own supporters further forward. I joined in the singing and clapping, but stewards politely pointed at us if our masks were pulled down so chanting was muted. It also showed how the drum-I guess not allowed in- is key in helping more people join in Our singing support was just too spread out. UTI!

I was behind the largest clump of 617 in block 117; about 30 or so and also saw a full coke bottle thrown up so it headed for our own supporters further forward. I joined in the singing and clapping, but stewards politely pointed at us if our masks were pulled down so chanting was muted. It also showed how the drum-I guess not allowed in- is key in helping more people join in Our singing support was just too spread out. UTI!
Must have been what I saw too. Some of the group were compliant but some were sharing a brain cell

On the atmosphere, can only speak for my side of the ground, it was so fucking hot and stewards coming round every 5 minutes telling you to put your mask on it’s quite hard to get an atmosphere going in these conditions. Also there were what I took to be players tickets dotted around (they kind of stand out) & Max Melbourne was a few rows in front. Don’t think they were up for much singing.
North East corner did feel like loads of family and friends. Difficult to get anything going or join in with chants that were so echoy from the distant 617

Just from watching on the TV, our fans being in the part of the ground facing into the sun all match seemed spaced out as required. When they cut to the Blackpool fans many had lumped themselves together behind the goal, and in shadow. Did those two factors affect our fans today??
Like I said in my post, it was like being in Death Valley sitting in the full sun with a mask on for 3 hours. I was trying to keep the noise going but to be honest it was nearer to passing out than leaping about.

Just about got to grips with the disappointment. On the whole, had a great day with brother, son and Farmer Imp.(sounds like a divine trilogy) Few beers, a sing song in the pub, few pics on Wembley way. Went bonkers when the early goal went in and we had a few more chances in first half. It didn't go our way in the second half and like most others, after acknowledging the team I trundled off home. I've not got any views on singing, stewards or the sun in my eyes, that's life!
Today I have nothing but admiration for the manager and players. I thought Morgan and Brennan have earned their spurs for higher level football. They along with Tayo were very appreciative of the fans, not that the other players weren't. Hats off to you gentleman.
When you compare these last few years to the ten that preceeded them, you really do have to be proud to be an Imp

Remembering now I had a bad feeling about this game in the pre-match build up. Those who weren’t in the stadium (at that point) won’t have heard Blackpool announcer spend about (what seemed like) at least 10 minutes listing every previous Blackpool scorer in previous playoffs prior to reading the team out, whipping their fans into a frenzy!

Hats off to the 'Pool fans. Actually, if we'd taken our hats off, we'd have been nicely broiled by 90mins, so it probably made sense for many of us to sit quietly and conserve as much energy as possible. Much of their support clearly didn't give a sh!t about listening to the stewards and the two big clusters behind the goal really help them develop an atmosphere. Can we cut out this 'you/we are crap fans' stuff? It is offensive. We lost yesterday because they out-thought and out-fought us, and we just lacked that little bit of maturity of decision-making in the final third. We didn't lose 'cos we were too quiet. Nonsense. 617 were magnificent yesterday. Proud as hell of them, proud of the oldies in their knotted handkerchiefs, and really proud of that team.

North East corner did feel like loads of family and friends.

... and isn't this actually one of the great things about our club.

Everyone values the great atmosphere that the 617 can create especially at Sincil Bank, but singing and chanting for 90 minutes is hard work even if that's your thing and being with family and friends and enjoying supporting your club with your presence and selective vocal support is also something that becomes more appealing to more people as they become slightly longer in the tooth.

We all support the club in the way we enjoy doing best and are stronger for having 617, kids, families, directors and the knotted hankie brigade.

Already over it and looking forward to an exciting young Imps team at a club still on an upward curve, next season in a very exciting division.

Special thanks to Devonexlondonimp for being great company and a fantastic and thoughtful host. Also great to meet up with Hackney Ian, Eweimp, Kettering Imp, with Steves and Ians galore.

I went more in hope than expectation and it wasn't to be. Taking a step back and appreciating the view from this station stop, before getting back on the loco heading for our next destination.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have bids for him, Grant or Montsma in the summer.

Edun - Appleton has converted him into a solid L1 fullback and there's proof of concept but he's not getting in any Championship first team in that position. He's 23 - so too "old" to be the up and coming player a manager signs for the youth teams with an eye on the future. It's a lateral move or nothing, and unless one of the bigger L1 sides bids a lot of money I honestly can't see there being a fight to retain his signature.

Grant - a few bad games and we have fans on here saying he should be sold. My god. You don't build a team around a flair player only to move him on because you lost a play-off final. Also, if we do sell him, I'd imagine we'd need at least £1 million to get any sort of financial benefit thanks to the Forest sell-on clause. Who's going to bid that?

Montsma - I honestly cannot believe any manager higher than League One will look at him and say he's the pre-built solution to their problem. He came to us as an unknown quantity and as such delighted us, not only by not being shit but by scoring quite a few in the early part of the season and pinging balls around. Well, he hasn't scored again since I can remember, and his career record suggests he won't do it much in the future. That's not a criticism, it's just hard stats. His distribution has similarly evened out to be a feature but not the definition of his game. He's a decent prospect - but he's not even our first choice. I don't see how he would be to anyone up the pyramid.

But then again, it's a funny old game Saint.

Last edited:
Yes it was noticeable. When they cut to the Blackpool fans they were in a big huddle, most without masks, standing up celebrating. Why did the stewards at that end not enforce rules to the same extent?

They didn't for Leicester (FA Cup) or Man City (Cara Cup) either who were both at that end of the Stadium too. Both were allowed to move around wherever they liked once inside

Just from watching on the TV, our fans being in the part of the ground facing into the sun all match seemed spaced out as required. When they cut to the Blackpool fans many had lumped themselves together behind the goal, and in shadow. Did those two factors affect our fans today??
Can’t speak for everyone but in our section having stewards coming round telling us to sit down constantly and have our masks on may have affected it. Strange how we wasn’t allowed to stand up yet on the Blackpool side all clustered together 🤔

A few in the pub commented on the lack social distancing in the Blackpool end, we just got the shitty end of the stick didn't we?

Already over it and looking forward to an exciting young Imps team at a club still on an upward curve, next season in a very exciting division.

Special thanks to Devonexlondonimp for being great company and a fantastic and thoughtful host. Also great to meet up with Hackney Ian, Eweimp, Kettering Imp, with Steves and Ians galore.

I went more in hope than expectation and it wasn't to be. Taking a step back and appreciating the view from this station stop, before getting back on the loco heading for our next destination.

I would echo that Hully. Great to meet you in person and share a pint or two in the beer garden, and meet up with Devon and Kettrin and good to see Hackney Ian looking well and enjoying himself again. Roll on next season

I didn't wear a mask all game since I was in a space at least 3 seats away from anyone else and that wasn't even my seat as we were late getting in I just grabbed it. Notty came and sat next to me second half and no stewards bothered me or Notty all game.