Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley

My thoughts on today, very comfortable display and Walker been a touch sharper would have been 3 or 4 (imagine the meltdown on banter if Akinde had missed when clean through?!)

O'Connor was superb in midfield, Bozzy was Bozzy and Payne looks a handful, Grant showed a few moments of great skill.
Plenty to build on and we still need to a couple especially at the back as Bolger struggled clearly at times due to his illness.
47 points to go ;)

Did Cowley mention something about needing 4 more players?

There seems to be a bit of dialogue between Clive and Tommo on Twitter.

Was worried before hand we would be lightweight defensively, especially if O'Connor did n't play. Think that may still be the case, at times, especially in the depths of winter, as we are so small with Payne, Morrell, Grant and Pett all midfield options.

However, the ability and level of play is light years better than the N L days only a couple of years or so ago.

A word or two for the players that have received a bit of criticism lately.
Heard a few comments before the game that Smith should have started in goal.
Did not hear many more comments like that each time Vickers made a vital save.
He was slightly hesitant in commanding his area but that will return once the couple of recent mix ups fade in the memory.

Bolger for me is a really good defender, that can improve his distribution. Thought he was really solid again today, even before I knew he was ill.

The good thing is we are adding really talented players to the existing sound players we already have.

John Akinde scored another goal. I know it does not count as a goal because it's only a penalty but personally I felt more confident we would win when he scored it.

We still need a few reinforcements but if they turn out anywhere near the level of those already here, it should be an interesting season.

Definitely the Brentford game, didn't go to the Huddersfield game.
Went to the Preston a few days later when we won 3 0.

The wheels had well and truly come off before the Brentford game. I always remember the loss to Huddersfield on Boxing Day being pivitol to the decline, despite a Worldie from Mr. Cockerill.

I've spent all my life convinced that game was on Boxing day '82 only to find out recently it was on the 28th December- not much in it granted
Likewise - age and time plays tricks. With that in mind, I remember Cockerill's goal that day as cutting in from the left wing and curling into the top corner from the angle of the box, put us ahead but a very good Huddersfield came back to win 2-1 to loosen the wheelnuts a little more.

Bar a free header in the first half, I thought that was a comfortable afternoon and probably should have had 3 or 4.

Accrington were missing Billy Kee (who we send our best wishes to whilst he's out again sorting his mental issues) but I'm not sure he'd have made too much difference because we snuffed most things out before they got to our 18 yard box. They played some quick one touch passing at times but it looked nice without really getting anywhere.

As for us, some great football played whilst still retaining that bit of steel through the side. Despite being small in stature, Payne and Morrell get stuck in and O'Connor showed us that he'll still be important this season. If we can find someone similar to him to compliment the other CM's (O'Hara?) then we need to get it done.

I'm going to call Morrell as up there for Player of the Season already. You don't need to many views of a player who's clearly very good to make your mind up. Reminded me a little of Dean Keates. Short, but packs a punch. Always available, appreciation of passing options was exceptional and had the pressing of Woodyard.

Two big, noticeable things from today were 1) the amount of dribbles in the game from CM's because that's not really something we've done or had and 2) the amount of forward passing, trying to find attackers early. Not too much sideways stuff today.

Morrell was MOTM for me, but I thought Walker and Grant had solid debuts. Bossie, O'Connor and Bolger did well considering their issues and everyone else put in good shifts.

I've spent all my life convinced that game was on Boxing day '82 only to find out recently it was on the 28th December- not much in it granted

A quick check proves you right Mr. Strangelove. I have turned that game over in my head a million times what would would have happened if the Imps had won that match?

Little did we all know that Mr. Blades had a socket wrench to hand.

A quick check proves you right Mr. Strangelove. I have turned that game over in my head a million times what would would have happened if the Imps had won that match?

Little did we all know that Mr. Blades had a socket wrench to hand.

I know- that's why I was amazed when I found out I had the wrong date. Every detail i thought was etched in my mind...but then I am getting on a bit now!

AS for today's game- I really enjoyed it. Could see what the team were trying to do, indeed occasionally Payne particularly was expecting a player to be in a forward position or making a run and they weren't (yet) thinking the same way.

Solid win, some real "resilience" across the defence, quality on display going forward- great 1st day back in L1.

It's clear Morrell and Payne will also win freekicks- their speed, agility and height mean big lumbering midfield or CBs will foul regularly. Someone near me said Payne reminded him of Iniesta. Not sure he is that good yet BUT our forward intent has moved into L1. We just need sufficient depth in defensive intent.

Good day all round

Enjoyed the game; four debutants were excellent; predicted 2-0; 65 out on the attendance prediction.
Only downside was the number of wasps in the Co-Op, the stewards need to stamp down hard on this for the Southend game.

My thoughts on today, very comfortable display and Walker been a touch sharper would have been 3 or 4 (imagine the meltdown on banter if Akinde had missed when clean through?!)

O'Connor was superb in midfield, Bozzy was Bozzy and Payne looks a handful, Grant showed a few moments of great skill.
Plenty to build on and we still need to a couple especially at the back as Bolger struggled clearly at times due to his illness.
47 points to go ;)

77 points to go :party: