Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley

Excellent start. Can't ask for more than a couple of goals and a clean sheet. ??.
Thought some of the players looked a bit tired as the second half wore on, but to be expected with injuries and lack of game time for some. Will be glad when Shackell comes back - Bolger is OK, but he does make me nervous sometimes*. Shacks will make the defence even stronger. The new signings certainly showed their quality. Payne is superb. His close control and never say die attitude will create a lot of goalscoring opportunities this year. I also think both Harry and Bruno can learn a lot from him with his timing of when to hold the ball and when to release it, particularly into the box, which is a class above. But for at least two great saves from their keeper score could have been 3 or 4-0. Onward & upward.

*Apologies to Bolger - I posted this before I heard DC post-match interview where he said how ill Bolger had been before the game. To turn out for such an important game feeling like that is impressive. ?

Last edited:
A magnificent 3rd in the League!!!

When were we last that high or better??
I can only think during 1982-83 season. Sure we topped the table up until Christmas that season. But then fell away in weeks that followed. But when did we drop below 3rd? No idea !

When were we last that high or better??
I can only think during 1982-83 season. Sure we topped the table up until Christmas that season. But then fell away in weeks that followed. But when did we drop below 3rd? No idea !

Slipped permanently out of the top 3 after drawing 1-1 at Bradford City on 12th March.

Wow great performance!! New signings looks great especially Payne who was by far the better player on the pitch, he’s something else that fella!

Some sublime passing and moving across the pitch

Only downer is the bloody double cheese burgers going up from £5 last season to £6.50 this season!! Sod off!!

UTI

The boys are back in town. First half was absolutely brilliant, the football was sublime at times with all of the new signings impressing - Morrell in particular was an absolute livewire, although over the full 90 minutes Payne was the deserved MOTM. Walker should have scored, but considering he probably can't tell his teammates apart yet, a very good debut.

Faded a bit after half time and Vickers needed to be switched on, which he was - no sign of the jitters evident in pre-season. Bostwick was a beast, as per. And great for Akinde's confidence to come on and get a goal.

I know that Accrington are one of the weaker teams in the league, but if we play like that every week we will give any team in this league a run for their money.

Consolidation? What's that?

payne was everywhere, very good footballer... looks very capable of bossing a game.
also, payne, anderson, grant, morrell and even O'Connor all making positive runs through the opposition with the ball. i thought we were much more attack-minded. there was hardly any sideways passing across the back four.

uti

Thought it was as an easy afternoon that we will have all season. The Accrington keeper for me kept them in the game with some great saved and we were never really tested defensively.

Fantastic to see O’Connor battle through, for me his is still the second name on the team sheet behind Bozzy for the role he performs and given he’s barely had a preseason and an operation in the summer. What a professional.

Thought we looked a threat in the final third and some great link play between Walker, Payne, Grant and Anderson. If Walker keeps getting in those positions he will soon be up and firing.