Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley | Page 53 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley

...Eyoma's played through two games despite being ill so he was probably the most pressing for a breather. It wasn't that long ago that we couldn't get three games a week out of Jackson or Walsh but if either was going to miss out last night, I thought it would have been Walsh as we're managing his knee injury...

There may also be an issue with recovery time to consider. Tuesday to Sunday is 4 days without a match but Sunday to Wednesday is 2 and then Wednesday to Saturday is only 2. Walsh may be the least likely to manage that so has to miss Wednesday (if my theory is correct).

Since there are a number of games recently when we have played much better in the second half than the first, does that raise some questions about how we could avoid this going forward?

The obvious one is to get MA to do his half-time speech before the team go out for the start of the match, rather than waiting until they have let 45 minutes drift by.

The other option is do enough research and pass on enough information for the players to adapt what they are doing when it is happening, rather than wait until they come off and are told what to change.

Perhaps I am being harsh, but it does seem to be a recurring problem.

Just a guess but could it be the opposition are working like hell in the first half to stop us but can't keep it up in the second half.

Although I doubt MA bothers to do any research on the opposition, most of what happens at the club these days is very much off the cuff. Come on guys make effort to look like you know what your doing.

Appraisal of the match? We just didn't turn up in the first half and really didn;t get going until the goal/Edun coming on.

As for what bothered me more. Radio Lincolnshire needs sacking off. They obviously couldn't give a fig about their output. Hortin is almost unbearable and moreso every game. He called Edun Eyoma twice last night despite Eyoma not being on the pitch.

As for the comments about "technical issues this evening." The last 4 or 5 matches have been plagued with him either sitting on the "jingle" button or it being auto triggered by the phrase "For me." Last night was embarrasing and at this time other teams are hearing this crap. He (and RLincs) are absolutely clueless and considering the Beeb prides itself on its output it was one of the most unprofessional outputs you will ever hear.

Surely we can rope together 2 men and a mic and some cables that work to provide our own audio to the stream? And maybe we can get some of those spatter guards so the mic doesn't pick up every breath as if the commentator is trying to do the "edgy" singer on the X factor.
Shall we give Chris Ashton a shout?

He is way better. In fact, when listening to the radio Hortin and Tommo are very entertaining. Ok Hortin makes mistakes and tends to only know eight of the eleven opposition. So what? Now we have iFollow, just print off the team sheets and use them as your guide. If you go looking for his errors, don't like the sound of his voice and have let it get to you mentally, then turn off the volume.

I like to hear his and Tommo's enthusiasm, particularly when we score. The fact that he is not sure of the name of an opposition midfielder unless they have their back to him, does not bother me at all.

There are far more important things to be concerned about at the moment.

I cant help feeling that the critcisms are getting a bit nit picky and tending to look for the faults which I agree sometimes a mistake is made but not really to the extent that is being highlighted on the forum of late

With respect I think you are missing the point. I have stated before that I dont mind Hortin and Thommo as a double act on commentary and listened to the playback of the Burnley game on Radio Lincolnshire on Saturday and thought that both Hortin and Thommo were excellent on that day. I was at the game so it was the first time I had heard it but that was the standard I would expect for every City game. The problem isnt for us being Lincoln fans and knowing exactly what we are going to get from Hortin it's when his commentary is going out to both sets of fans. Its truly embarrassing, his bias towards Lincoln and his obvious lack of preparation or any research into the opposition is arrogant and lacks respect towards the opposing fans listening to the commentary.
I have heard a fair few commentaries from opposition commentators over the course of the season and while I expect a degree of bias towards the home team I have never heard any of them who didn't know our players names and a few facts about the team.

OK, I take it all back - I've just watched west Ham on BT Sport and there was the world's most irritating woman as the University of the Bleeding Obvious's nomination for co-commentator - I thought at first it was bring your child to work day and it was some jumped up 5 year old but apparently not - HELP!!!

With respect I think you are missing the point. I have stated before that I dont mind Hortin and Thommo as a double act on commentary and listened to the playback of the Burnley game on Radio Lincolnshire on Saturday and thought that both Hortin and Thommo were excellent on that day. I was at the game so it was the first time I had heard it but that was the standard I would expect for every City game. The problem isnt for us being Lincoln fans and knowing exactly what we are going to get from Hortin it's when his commentary is going out to both sets of fans. Its truly embarrassing, his bias towards Lincoln and his obvious lack of preparation or any research into the opposition is arrogant and lacks respect towards the opposing fans listening to the commentary.
I have heard a fair few commentaries from opposition commentators over the course of the season and while I expect a degree of bias towards the home team I have never heard any of them who didn't know our players names and a few facts about the team.

I did exactly the same, having been at Burnley and not having heard the commentary before. It was wonderful to listen to the second half and indeed I could not put it off; Horton and Tommo were magnificent.

I guess I have a much higher threshold of embarrassment than many on this website. Most home commentators are biased to their own sides, it's only natural. It is farcical to suggest they always get the Lincoln players names correct. As recently as the last Hull game, one of their commentator's thought half our side was called Grant, it didn't really matter or offend me. Anyway, the droning moaning accent of one of them gave me the excuse to turn the volume off. Horton and Tommo are much more entertaining than most other commentators and I get so into these iFollow games that the commentary is secondary. If I happen to notice a mistake I smile and think of the main positive: in spite of Horton and Tommo we are still top of the League!

I've turned off quite a few 5Live commentaries lately. There is such a thing as "over preparation", the commentator can't let a minute go by without coming out with some meaningless statistic fact. "This is only the second time since 2011 that XXXXX have won more than four of their first eleven premier league matches." Really?

Hortin and Thommo baiting on 'The Match Thread' has become as much a part of the Covid lockdown routine as re-checking the table to see how many points we have got.

I've turned off quite a few 5Live commentaries lately. There is such a thing as "over preparation", the commentator can't let a minute go by without coming out with some meaningless statistic fact. "This is only the second time since 2011 that XXXXX have won more than four of their first eleven premier league matches." Really?
Guy Mowbray is the worst for that on MOTD. I just want to know the name of the player who has the ball, but he has to divulge 53 stats/facts before half-time.

Guy Mowbray is the worst for that on MOTD. I just want to know the name of the player who has the ball, but he has to divulge 53 stats/facts before half-time.
The stat attack stuff really grates me, especially the "Stevenage haven't beaten Manchester City since 1784" type shit. Nor do I want to know what Sergio Agueros first puppy was called!

Radio Five Live last week paired Ian Dennis who certainly knows his stuff, and Chris Sutton who didnt. They clearly didnt get on and it was the most embarrassing commentaries I have ever heard, baiting each other constantly, was pleased when the game was over before WW 3 broke out.

In case anyone is slightly interested.
Sunday evening Radio Lincs take a regional programme but to fool us they have an automatic jingle that plays every 15 minutes that is Radio Lincs specific. They forgot to turn it off, then when it happened 1st thought they had fixed it, but hadn’t.

In case anyone is slightly interested.
Sunday evening Radio Lincs take a regional programme but to fool us they have an automatic jingle that plays every 15 minutes that is Radio Lincs specific. They forgot to turn it off, then when it happened 1st thought they had fixed it, but hadn’t.
Sunday league, as I've previously said about the coverage itself.

Nobody's been any good since Kenneth Wolstenholme.
He'd be good for commentating on the current Imps side - 'sheer, delightful football'.
I liked it when he was on Gazzetta Football Italia, it was kind of like Christopher Lee turning up in Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.
I also have a soft spot for Tony Gubba - the BBC always seemed to send him to the remote outposts for the early FA Cup rounds.

Some of the marks for Bramhall on the team marks thread are exceptionally low... i missed the first 20 minutes, but after that i never noticed him do anything to warrant those scores... what happened in the first 20 minutes? (He wasnt responsible for the goal).

Some of the marks for Bramhall on the team marks thread are exceptionally low... i missed the first 20 minutes, but after that i never noticed him do anything to warrant those scores... what happened in the first 20 minutes? (He wasnt responsible for the goal).

He looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Accrington pressed very well and his first touch let him down on most occasions. There was also one that went over his foot and let a channel ball bounce over his head to their player. His distribution wasn’t there either often firing it down the line to no one rather than the inside ball to the CM. Also didn’t overlap or come inside but we had little of the ball so less opportunity to do so.

It’s his debut against a strong outfit and he’ll obviously get better with time and training. He’s also compared to Edun who has been in terrific form recently but looks a different type of player.