Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley | Page 51 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley

Strange game. Would take a point given we were not at it for so long, but then frustrating to drop two points so late on.

Hopper and Walsh were excellent amongst some quite average and in some cases poor performances.

I would have Skully in my first 11, gives us an intensity.

But, we’ve just come through 5 very tough games still top! So got to be positive. Need to capitalise on this now with some more ‘winnable’ games coming up.

Recent comments are exactly how I feel too. We’ve kept our direct rivals at arms length. Just how good this period is will be determined by staying at or above 2 points per match over the coming 8 fixtures leading to what I think we can call the run in with 11 ti go.

Bridcutt is a loss but we saw earlier in the season he was less of a loss when not playing our rivals so if he’s back fit and strong for the handful of games against them during the run in then the timing of his injury could have been much worse.

The thing I take out of yesterday's game is that selection was not based 100% only on winning last night match. We definitely had a side capable of winning the game and very nearly did but...

The selection had half and eye on Wednesday but more importantly half an eye on the last 10 games.

Every team has a similar gruelling schedule and will have to field players that are tired, carrying injures or second string as the season comes towards its conclusion.

If we have four fullbacks able to play to near the level Edun and Eyoma have been, that will be a big advantage, so Poole and Bramall have to get some games under their belts.

If we can also get Sanders involved and have Bridcutt and Morton fit, we will have a real chance of a strong run in.

Nothing is perfect. But we got a pretty average performance, a defensive clanger and a late goal out of our system at the same time as picking up a point.

So on the long run last night may turn out to be an okay night.

Just to flog to death the commentary, as I've gone on about for longer than most being an exile who only sees games on ifollow.... the problem is not with Radio Lincolnshire in general it is the main commentator.

It sounds cruel to keep going on about Michael Hortin but he is simply not suited to the role of describing match action - as we surely all now know.

That doesn't make him a bad broadcaster, I'm sure he does many other marvellous programmes, but if I can't get the away commentary all the matches he's doing will be on mute again for me.

If Rob Makepeace is doing the commentary, that's fine, he's good at it. His register is slightly too high for radio but that's being picky, he tells you accurately what's happening.

I've described Hortin as the worst ever. Actually there are worse. The Sunderland i-follow is absolutely desperate, but that's being done independently. There is definitely no worse professional radio commentator. It smashes at least one of the requirements of the BBC charter: to inform, educate and entertain
Sorry to add to the flogging!

The problem for Hortin (or Makepeace) is that 1 commentary is now addressing 3 audiences.

I'll wager a significant part of the local matchday audience follows the match audio only via Radio Lincs commentary. From direct experience in recent seasons Hortin isn't too bad at this, the style with him and Thommo works well. Unless the listener has detailed knowledge of the opposition players, 'goalkeeper', 'left back' etc works well in being able to visualise where the play is.

Superimpose that commentary over match video and it starts to break down. The radio element means more of the commentary is stating the bleeding obvious, the mistakes and busking become more apparent. When we can see where the action is and read the players' names, the 'goalkeeper', 'left back' starts to grate. But if Hortin changes his approach more to that of a TV commentator, radio listeners will lose out.

Now the commentary is also fed to the away stream, it really doesn't work. Last night was embarassing at times, but much of that nothing to do with Hortin.

The solution? Dedicated iFollow stream commentary, separate from the Radio Lincs one. But please, not Kwis and Kev!

if Hortin changes his approach more to that of a TV commentator, radio listeners will lose out.

It's not really even that @Chesterimp

Away commentaries are practically always local radio feeds and whilst there's too much talking if you have the video yourself, those people always sound like football commentators. They are competent.

The difference is stark, absolutely stark.

The problem for Hortin (or Makepeace) is that 1 commentary is now addressing 3 audiences.

I'll wager a significant part of the local matchday audience follows the match audio only via Radio Lincs commentary. From direct experience in recent seasons Hortin isn't too bad at this, the style with him and Thommo works well. Unless the listener has detailed knowledge of the opposition players, 'goalkeeper', 'left back' etc works well in being able to visualise where the play is.

Superimpose that commentary over match video and it starts to break down. The radio element means more of the commentary is stating the bleeding obvious, the mistakes and busking become more apparent. When we can see where the action is and read the players' names, the 'goalkeeper', 'left back' starts to grate. But if Hortin changes his approach more to that of a TV commentator, radio listeners will lose out.

Now the commentary is also fed to the away stream, it really doesn't work. Last night was embarassing at times, but much of that nothing to do with Hortin.

The solution? Dedicated iFollow stream commentary, separate from the Radio Lincs one. But please, not Kwis and Kev!

That last line was telling. I remember listening to some of the games with them two commentating and that Kev character was awful and I was amazed why he was given the gig in the first place. Chris Ashton was okay as a comical sidekick, but the lead commentator was simply dreadful. At least Hortin its better than him.

Hortin has stopped mentioning Liverpool recently (probably because they've started losing regularly) which has helped, and Thommo has obviously cleaned up his act (not before time) .... so my listening pleasure is no longer compromised.

Who would take over? Sam Ashoo springs to mind as a possibilty?

Oh btw, I thought a dash of Kelly Marie was a nice touch on Valentine's evening :love:

That last line was telling. I remember listening to some of the games with them two commentating and that Kev character was awful and I was amazed why he was given the gig in the first place. Chris Ashton was okay as a comical sidekick, but the lead commentator was simply dreadful. At least Hortin its better than him.

He is way better. In fact, when listening to the radio Hortin and Tommo are very entertaining. Ok Hortin makes mistakes and tends to only know eight of the eleven opposition. So what? Now we have iFollow, just print off the team sheets and use them as your guide. If you go looking for his errors, don't like the sound of his voice and have let it get to you mentally, then turn off the volume.

I like to hear his and Tommo's enthusiasm, particularly when we score. The fact that he is not sure of the name of an opposition midfielder unless they have their back to him, does not bother me at all.

There are far more important things to be concerned about at the moment.

Last edited:
The new intake might have been better 'drip fed' into the squad than all at once, the first half was a frustrating watch. Accy quickly figured out that a high press on a fragmented squad was going to pay off....

Yes, MApp admitted he may have got his selection wrong. On the other hand, Accrington played well and deserved a point.

The January signings struggling on debut is a common theme, happened with a few players since we returned to the league Pett and Hopper being two examples.
Must be difficult joining a club part way through a season and get on method straight away . Probably even tougher this season as the games are coming so quickly due to the late start, less time to work on things in training.
Covid still affecting Jones and Montsma? Or just lack of game time since Xmas?
Another off day at home, the supporters and their influence is clear to see at times IMHO.

The January signings struggling on debut is a common theme, happened with a few players since we returned to the league Pett and Hopper being two examples.
Must be difficult joining a club part way through a season and get on method straight away . Probably even tougher this season as the games are coming so quickly due to the late start, less time to work on things in training.
Covid still affecting Jones and Montsma? Or just lack of game time since Xmas?
Another off day at home, the supporters and their influence is clear to see at times IMHO.

Yes definitely, the new players are coming into a side top of the 3rd Tier, especially difficult for Bramhall who was at Colchester who are on a poor run in the League below.

Just needs game time, Rogers has had a few games and showing huge improvement and Poole was better in the second half.
Be interesting to see if Sanders starts on Wednesday as he's seen as the man to replace Bridcutt in the fullness of time I believe?

I had a feeling he might end up calling him Wilfred Bramble, and then be interrupted by the Steptoe theme for another musical invasion of the game.
Sadly, Michael appears to be getting worse. Or maybe we only notice because we can see that he is getting so much wrong, rather than just having audio.
I cant help feeling that the critcisms are getting a bit nit picky and tending to look for the faults which I agree sometimes a mistake is made but not really to the extent that is being highlighted on the forum of late

I don’t think it is down to the new recruits, as a “team” first half we were not at the races. That is a combination of Accrington doing a job on us tactically and playing decent stuff. We were not at our passing game, in some instances being too greedy and then losing possession inviting pressure on us. A mistake from our keeper - it happens, same as a forward missing a penalty tbf. For their second I’m sure we could have closed them down more but tired legs may have played a part. When Scully came on things improved, getting the midfield combination right without Bridcutt is now key.

May be worth a couple of behind closed doors friendlies against decent oppo in the next few month for the new boys, Morton, Roughan, Bridcutt to help rehab, etc.??? We could well need everyone to come to the party in the last 19 games.