Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley

The Vapours
The B side is 'Here comes The Judge (live)' I don't know whether to be proud of being able to remember that or I'm such a geek.

On reflection, no actually I'll take the delight at being able to recall such trivia. Don't ask me any others though.

Damn, going to have to cancel the meal in the fancy restaurant I’d booked for the misses and Valentine’s Day.

Seems the decision makes sense, fingers crossed for tomorrow. Is it acceptable to wear lucky socks two days in a row? Asking for a friend..
Acceptable? I'd say it was mandatory. I'm working in the back of beyond in Pakistan. I enquired today as to where my laundry was only to be told that the laundry guy had gone on leave three days ago. I'm down to my last pair of shreddies. They'll be going into day three tomorrow but after today's results, I'm considering that a good omen.

The Imps won the rearanged fixture coming back from 0-2 down to win a five goal thriller! Palace were on a real roll at the time if memory serves. They did however beat the Imps 4-0 in a canter in the return at Selhurst Park.
I went to all three of these games. The trip back from South London was particularly grim.

The B side is 'Here comes The Judge (live)' I don't know whether to be proud of being able to remember that or I'm such a geek.

On reflection, no actually I'll take the delight at being able to recall such trivia. Don't ask me any others though.
First (or maybe second after Tom Hark) record I ever purchased. Still have it among my limited vinyl. The B side is a good track.

I was at both Palace home games. I think Venables had left then and an ex captain had taken charge. I think his name could have been Ian Evans.
If memory serves me right I think Dave Smith was brilliant in the second match.
I am sure if I am totally wrong somebody will come on and correct me

I was at both Palace home games. I think Venables had left then and an ex captain had taken charge. I think his name could have been Ian Evans.
If memory serves me right I think Dave Smith was brilliant in the second match.
I am sure if I am totally wrong somebody will come on and correct me

Venables was in charge of Palace for all three of those matches. If memory serves Ian Evans was the Palace centre half at the time, I guess at some point he may have managed the club.

VInce Hilaire (one of the 1st black players to play for England) made his debut in the rearranged fixture at Sincil Bank. Kenny Sansom was in that Palace team if memory serves again, along with the enigma Rachid 'Rash the Smash' Harkouk.

Palace were on a real roll at the time if memory serves. They did however beat the Imps 4-0 in a canter in the return at Selhurst Park.

When they scored the fourth goal eight minutes from the end Graham Taylor immediately substituted Terry Cooper, saying afterwards “I will not tolerate anyone not pulling their weight whatever the state of the game”.

Venables was in charge of Palace for all three of those matches. If memory serves Ian Evans was the Palace centre half at the time, I guess at some point he may have managed the club.

VInce Hilaire (one of the 1st black players to play for England) made his debut in the rearranged fixture at Sincil Bank. Kenny Sansom was in that Palace team if memory serves again, along with the enigma Rachid 'Rash the Smash' Harkouk.
A couple of pics from the programme from the abandoned game.

20210213_185750 (2).jpg
20210213_185337 Resize.jpg

Vince Hilaire was a quality player. Saw him a number of times when he played for Pompey later in his career. Kenny Sansom was indeed in the Palace team.

Vince Hilaire was a quality player. Saw him a number of times when he played for Pompey later in his career. Kenny Sansom was indeed in the Palace team.

Ta, its good to be proved that ones memory is still functioning reasonably well.

In hindsight that Palace team underachieved, it had absolute quality throughout. The mantle the press put on them as the "Liverpool of the '80s" obviously weighed heavily on them. It looks like Peter Taylor had left them at that stage - I recall he was the 1st player from the English 3rd tier of football to gain an international cap for England in an absolute epoch.

I suspect that the above two entries have become mixed up.....

One talking about Hilaire and the other about Taylor

So well done to both of you for being correct