Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City

Tuesday 19th is the obvious date for most replays. However that date is still in the international window and so if Ipswich have the requisite 3 involved it takes that out. Logical then to play it on Weds 20th as still in correct week for replays but allows Ipswich's international wanderers to return to them.

Back from Portman Road, it speaks volumes that I felt a bit disappointed with a draw visiting a club and stadium like that. Definitely moving in the right direction, and if O’Connor has stayed on the result might have been different.

Largest FA Cup attendance today by a distance. Less than 8,000 at Stadium of Light and under 7,000 at Bolton.
I’d hope we can get close to those for the replay.

First of all most of us go to football matches for enjoyment. Watching Lincoln playing at Portman Road was a pretty good way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

I thought we played pretty well. If we had been on a good run with a few wins behind us it would probably have been a handsome victory today.

However we aren’t on a run like that and therefore the composure in front of goal isn’t all it might be.

Obviously the penalty would have killed the game. Walker in a team winning every week would have scored.

The good news though is how well we played. The players just need to stick at what they are doing. Two weeks of deserving to win away and being disappointed with a draw is not the most desperate situation.

Thought Connolly did well. Liked the look of Hesketh. Pleased to see Chapman get another chance, he put in one particularly good cross which the Ipswich defender just about managed to scramble away from under the bar. We need to get his future tied to Lincoln, ASAP.
A lot of good performances though to be fair.

Walker certainly can’t complain about service today. Could and should have had a Hatrick.

A few will also have been very surprised by how often we managed to get a shot on goal (14) when the great defender we should never have let go (James Wilson) was in the opposition’s side.

If we keep producing the performances, the results we are beginning to deserve, will come.

Thought the football played by the Imps in the first half was some of the best certainly this season and a long tome before - it was more backs to the wall in the second half but on the counter we were very dangerous - MA has done a good job with the limited options that he has because of the unbalance nature of the squad - a regular gripe of mine I acknowledge.

Not entirely sure the squad is that unbalanced. We have plenty of options in defence now that Connolly is playing in his best position, in midfield (especially when Freck is fit and Pett fully fit), and out wide.

The Cowleys' big mistake was letting Rhead go without a replacement, although I suspect they hoped to bring in a goalscoring-type striker instead.

Toffolo we have no cover for until Coker is fit, but apart from that we have decent cover for every position bar a Walker=type striker, which every club is looking for.

They may not of course all turn out to be the players MA wants going forward - January will tell on that.

Potentially an outside chance of getting the replay on TV if nothing happens in the ten matches today. Confirmed replays so far are ...

Bradford v Shrewsbury
Burton v Salford
Darlington v Walsall
Doncaster Rovers v AFC Wimbledon
Eastleigh v Stourbridge
Exeter v Cambridge United
Gillingham v Sunderland
Lincoln v Ipswich
Newport v Grimsby
Peterborough v Stevenage
Swindon v Cheltenham
Wycombe v Tranmere

Darlington v Walsall is a given to be on TV but not huge amounts going for any other match really other than ...

Bradford v Shrewsbury - 4th tier hosting 3rd tier
Eastleigh v Stourbridge - Both non-league
Gillingham v Sunderland - Former winners away (though same tier)
Lincoln v Ipswich - Former winners away (though same tier)

They will be hoping that one of Bromley, Maldon & Tiptree or Kingstonian get a draw today so they've got another non-league team at home hosting a league club in a replay.

Thought Connolly did well. Liked the look of Hesketh. Pleased to see Chapman get another chance, he put in one particularly good cross which the Ipswich defender just about managed to scramble away from under the bar. We need to get his future tied to Lincoln, ASAP.

Chapman's cross was superb

They will be hoping that one of Bromley, Maldon & Tiptree or Kingstonian get a draw today so they've got another non-league team at home hosting a league club in a replay.

And Bromley did indeed get one so that puts us third/fourth on the replay list I think ( as Gills-Sunderland will be similar to us) so an outside chance only of BT dependent on how many replays they want to show.

First of all most of us go to football matches for enjoyment. Watching Lincoln playing at Portman Road was a pretty good way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

I thought we played pretty well. If we had been on a good run with a few wins behind us it would probably have been a handsome victory today.

However we aren’t on a run like that and therefore the composure in front of goal isn’t all it might be.

Obviously the penalty would have killed the game. Walker in a team winning every week would have scored.

The good news though is how well we played. The players just need to stick at what they are doing. Two weeks of deserving to win away and being disappointed with a draw is not the most desperate situation.

Walker certainly can’t complain about service today. Could and should have had a Hatrick.

A few will also have been very surprised by how often we managed to get a shot on goal (14) when the great defender we should never have let go (James Wilson) was in the opposition’s side.

If we keep producing the performances, the results we are beginning to deserve, will come.
Excellent post!

It looks like the Darlington-Walsall replay has been scheduled for the 20th so that will be the live game that evening

There's a nice little film on Now TV at the moment. 'The Bromley Boys'. It's set in the 1969-70 season about a 15 year old lad who is obsessed about Bromley FC. I think it will be up every football fan's street.

This is the first chance I've had to put a few thoughts on about yesterday's match.

We should really have had the game won before they scored - not only with the missed penalty (and he also missed the follow-up), but Hesketh's early chance when he put the ball high over the bar when unmarked, the penalty that it looked from a hundred yards away should have been given early on, Walker's chance in the second half. And then Grant could have got a late winner but was another to put the ball over the bar.

But there we are. It's stating the obvious to say that once again we were the better team but didn't get the win because of failing to score.

Is it my imagination or does anyone else think Hesketh plays further forward than Payne in the same position? (I don't just mean in this match). I thought Payne did OK out wide, and wasn't afraid to use his right foot a time or two.

Although it was the biggest FA Cup attendance on the day it was sad to see about 40% of the ground not in use. Worst legroom I think I've ever experienced at a match. Good cheeseburger though.

Last edited:
I see from the highlights Payne I think hit the post as the penalty was awarded, interesting what the decision would have been if he had scored