Match Thread: Grimsby v Lincoln City | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Grimsby v Lincoln City

Keep on digging lad, at least it’s entertaining.

Look North reporting queues this morning at local chemist's in NE Lincs as supermarkets run out of alka seltzer. Birds Eye warning of national shortage of fish fingers as staff stay away in droves after weekend of partying following the monumental one all victory over "little brother" Lincoln City. Jolly reportedly in line for manager of the month award.

Oh behave, who's celebrating on there? We're extremely encouraged by what was a very good performance against the so called favourites for the league title. But if you're the best this league has to offer then we've nothing to worry about. Not to say that I think we'll be anywhere near the top of the league because we won't but after the hatchet job that Bignot and Slade did on our squad, getting anywhere near the play offs would be a remarkable turnaround.

We've been reading on here and on social media all week how we were going to get hammered by the Champions elect but the truth of the matter is that we were the best team yesterday by some margin and anyone who disagrees with that is either in denial or doesn't understand football much. Which I admit could well be the case given that most of you have only been going to games for the last two years. You only have to go on your predictions thread to see that the vast majority of you lot were predicting that you'd hammer us. But you were out-thought and out-fought yesterday and you can claim that we won't play like that against other teams all you like but it was a derby game for both sets of players. So either your management really aren't great at motivating your players or your players are lacking in commitment. You choose.

As for us making no noise, I'd say that's hugely ironic given we heard you for approximately 5 minutes out of 90. You've finally filled the away end (is that twice out of the last ten visits?) but you're still making no noise. Forest Green made more noise and they only had 100 there.

For the record, I don't really have any animosity towards Lincoln, I have plenty of friends who are Imps fans and I know the vast majority of your fans are, like the vast majority of our fans, perfectly decent people. And we are all of course jealous that you're riding the crest of a wave right now (in L2 and still get out performed by plucky "little" Grimsby) and we're certainly jealous of the amazing work your board is doing. But for goodness sake, have some humility. You're nowhere near as good as many of you think you are and you're nowhere near as good as you should be for the amount you've spent in the last two years.

Good luck for the rest of the season, hopefully we can both be towards the top of the table.
You've made your mind up having seen us for one game.

Had you seen the Swindon game, you'd have a different opinion on us and probably a further opinion after the Northampton game.

It's far too early for anyone to say, "we're this, we're that, they're this, they're that". Table and results start to settle after 10-12 games.

Probably a slightly unfair comment r.e. money spent in the last two seasons, particularly with regards to last. We probably over achieved to a point last season. in that we had three strikers and didn't really have any performing wingers either.

We sold Raggett last season and I imagine that more than covered any outlay with Woodyard, Farman, Palmer, Long etc this seasonso we've probably spent less than we've brought in, in terms of transfer fees. And, of course, FA Cup, Checkatrade and everything else that comes with it brings in good money.

And rather ironic given the budgets afforded to you in the Conference.

With regards budgets, didn't DC say that we had a budget that was around 16th place last season? Am sure it was around that area, so to get 7th in our return season back to the FL was some achievement.

Look i think its great hes on here making us even more money. I predicted 6.1 to Lincoln after i watched grimsbys shambolic effort against fgr. But fair play to them for turning it around. On that showing they looked decent we looked poor overall we have been the better team. points dont lie . Hopefully in 43 games we get auto promotion but never a guarantee. Saying that for Lincolnshire football its a bonus for both teams having a derby . Helps the finances. Not sure how grimsbys are but i believe they have been bankrolled in the past and if they have fair enough whoever puts money in it is their choice no argument from me on that at all.

Last edited:
Sure Fenty used to put it circa 500k a season, apologies if that's wrong.
Clive puts in a 6 figure amount a season with his consortium but its not to that level, pretty certain the year we won the conference it was the amount to cover the Cowleys wages for the season circa 100k as the budget at the start of that was a bit smaller than the season before but quickly rose as things improved with bigger crowds and the cup runs.
Heard the break even on the crowds has been set pretty high for this season.

Good grief, is anyone really basing their assessment of each team on the evidence of one match?

Grimsby were bound to be up for this one and are very likely to deliver their best performance of the season against us. It is a local derby, and whichever team is the underdog usually plays like that - we used to do it when we were in that position.

Despite the poor performance, we restricted Grimsby to just three shots on target - that is pretty good. If we manage to do that in every game, we will win the league hands down.

Can we play better than that? Of course. Will we? Of course.

The opening ten games of a season are often up and down due to changes in personnel and tactics. Look at the championship season (those of us who were watching the Imps then) - excellent wins against Woking and Ferriby followed by poor defeats to Barrow and Sutton (and a dreadful showing against Solihull). Time matters.

Lincoln have made a good number of additions to the team (not just the squad) and are clearly trying to change their style of play, all of which will take time to find consistency. We have shown more than enough already to know we have a very good side about to happen. That was one of our toughest away fixtures, not because of the quality of the opposition.

Clive puts in a 6 figure amount a season with his consortium but its not to that level, pretty certain the year we won the conference it was the amount to cover the Cowleys wages for the season circa 100k as the budget at the start of that was a bit smaller than the season before but quickly rose as things improved with bigger crowds and the cup runs.
Fenty doesn't put that in a season. He may have done at some stage but not anymore.

Fenty hasn't put in any money, certainly never even close to £500K a year and when he has it's only been a loan. He has loaned the club approximately £2 million over the last 15/16 years and wants every penny back despite seeing us through 3 relegations and only one promotion. At no point has he "gifted" the club any money. The last time he even loaned the club any money was in 2011/12 but he did take out £200K last season. Part of the reason we're lumbered with him is his refusal to leave without all of his loans being paid back despite his awful, awful stewardship of the club. Not sure why your fans always had this notion that we were being massively bankrolled in the Conference, we weren't.

I'm not claiming you are being bankrolled now. Your ticket sales are quadrupled from two years ago and you've had some amazing cup runs so it's obvious where the money is coming from which is fair enough!

Bit late with this...

Thought until Grimsby scored the game was quite even, we actually had some control, but was all in our third or the middle third without probing. I’d rather play direct than tappy stuff at the back, got to play it in the right areas.

But then after they scored, we dropped a level, which is unlike us, and they gained 2 or 3. In fact they completely outplayed at times if truth be told. Was especially surprised we did not come out better after half time. All felt very unlike us under DC. Particularly surprised we seemed to accept the draw last 10.

A soft pen ultimately saved us though and we got a point without playing well.

Said in my prediction for the 11 Bostwick needs to be in centre mid, and I think he will always need to be if we play 2 in there, a lot of clubs flood the midfield in league 2. He was our best player by some distance.

I see questions being asked of Freck and Akinde. Quite rightly to be honest, they are our big names and we know they are capable of more.

Still, 7 from 9 is a good start.

Soft penalty? Mmm, well its one of those that could have gone either way. Wasn't convinced when I saw it live but can see why it was given on the highlights. We got the benefit of the doubt this time in a game where Grimsby should have had more yellows dished out, particularly in the 1st half. The stats showed 16 fouls committed to our 5 which goes someway to showing how they Contained us, nevertheless, they were the better team. Surprised no one mentioned the blatant handball at the end of the game when their player with his back to the ref swung his body to chest the ball behind and clearly struck his arm. Swings and roundabouts, Cods may be aggrieved at the pen given but their player handballed it. Some you get some you don't. Had that been given it could have been a real smash and grab. Now back in the conference years, our next game would have been v Grimsby such was the way the fixture list worked, shame its not that way now, would like to see how we would respond.

Fenty hasn't put in any money, certainly never even close to £500K a year and when he has it's only been a loan. He has loaned the club approximately £2 million over the last 15/16 years and wants every penny back despite seeing us through 3 relegations and only one promotion. At no point has he "gifted" the club any money. The last time he even loaned the club any money was in 2011/12 but he did take out £200K last season. Part of the reason we're lumbered with him is his refusal to leave without all of his loans being paid back despite his awful, awful stewardship of the club. Not sure why your fans always had this notion that we were being massively bankrolled in the Conference, we weren't.

I'm not claiming you are being bankrolled now. Your ticket sales are quadrupled from two years ago and you've had some amazing cup runs so it's obvious where the money is coming from which is fair enough!
Fair dos buddy, your 'friends' on the fishy (font of all knowledge on all things Lincoln!)have been spouting that Clive has bankrolled us which he hasn't and wasn't sure what the situation was with the 'lovely' Mr Fenty was, the evil git so glad he's not in charge of club.

For clarity, Clive's original investment when joining the board in February 2016 was reported as £1m over five years. Using a basic calculation per year, that is hardly bankrolling. The majority of the first year's investment would surely have gone on employing the Cowleys - we had gone from reportedly not being able to afford a manager to having two of them. The payback was almost immediate through the FA Cup run and the increase in crowds to 6,000 - 7,000 by December. It became self-supporting almost overnight, after which we could extend the squad with some judicious loans. Never has so much been achieved on so little investment.

A perfect storm or snowball going down a hill, once it going no stopping it.
Still can't believe it has happened to us! 38 years of going and the last two have been crazy! For all the best reasons possible!

Fair dos buddy, your 'friends' on the fishy (font of all knowledge on all things Lincoln!)have been spouting that Clive has bankrolled us which he hasn't and wasn't sure what the situation was with the 'lovely' Mr Fenty was, the evil git so glad he's not in charge of club.

I've no idea how much Mr Nates has put in, if anything at all, but what I do know is the few times I've read his interviews, he's clearly very astute and he's clearly well connected because he's brought a few other people in too? Either way, your club is in a very good position and is in very capable hands right now. Sadly ours isn't, in the boardroom at least.

We all know how bad your board, saw the youtube video of that fans forum with Fenty turning onto the guy from bbc, disgusting!
The wink behind his back just sums Fenty up.