Match Thread: Grimsby v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Grimsby v Lincoln City

That's right, you did. Hold your heads up high. You can crow about it for the rest of the season. Then, as you quietly blub into your handkerchief, you can quote Max Boyce and say......'I was there!'

Why would I be crying into a tissue (handkerchiefs are disgusting)? I'd be ecstatic with a midtable finish given how bad I've read we are on here.

You're right about that. I saw predictions that the Imps were going to win 3-0, 4-0, 4-1 (there were lots of those), even 5-0. They were ridiculous.

....hang on though, those predictions were all on here:
https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1534104884/

That's weird, I've flicked through the first three pages on there and haven't seen any 3,4 or 5 nil victory to the Imps predicted. Plenty on here though: https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/score-predictions-v-grimsby-town.84268/

Interesting user name too, not sure we ever had a 'Sick of Bob' (or Steff) even in the darkest days. Might have had a 'sick of Blades' if such things existed back in the day.

Hey ho, enjoy your stunning 1-1 success:fish:

That's weird, I've flicked through the first three pages on there and haven't seen any 3,4 or 5 nil victory to the Imps predicted. Plenty on here though: https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/score-predictions-v-grimsby-town.84268/

You seem like a decent fellow and I have no wish to insult you, but if you can't be bothered to trawl (SWIDT?) your own forum you must have a short attention span.

Try from post 79 onwards my friend. 1-4, 2-4, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4, 1-4. Dear old Gary_elton couldn't make his mind up between 4 or 5.

You also didn't seem to have the time to notice that practically everyone on here, from the moment the game finished, said GT were the better side and should have won.

So it looks like you're more interested in trolling than trawling.

Oh behave, who's celebrating on there? We're extremely encouraged by what was a very good performance against the so called favourites for the league title. But if you're the best this league has to offer then we've nothing to worry about. Not to say that I think we'll be anywhere near the top of the league because we won't but after the hatchet job that Bignot and Slade did on our squad, getting anywhere near the play offs would be a remarkable turnaround.

We've been reading on here and on social media all week how we were going to get hammered by the Champions elect but the truth of the matter is that we were the best team yesterday by some margin and anyone who disagrees with that is either in denial or doesn't understand football much. Which I admit could well be the case given that most of you have only been going to games for the last two years. You only have to go on your predictions thread to see that the vast majority of you lot were predicting that you'd hammer us. But you were out-thought and out-fought yesterday and you can claim that we won't play like that against other teams all you like but it was a derby game for both sets of players. So either your management really aren't great at motivating your players or your players are lacking in commitment. You choose.

As for us making no noise, I'd say that's hugely ironic given we heard you for approximately 5 minutes out of 90. You've finally filled the away end (is that twice out of the last ten visits?) but you're still making no noise. Forest Green made more noise and they only had 100 there.

For the record, I don't really have any animosity towards Lincoln, I have plenty of friends who are Imps fans and I know the vast majority of your fans are, like the vast majority of our fans, perfectly decent people. And we are all of course jealous that you're riding the crest of a wave right now (in L2 and still get out performed by plucky "little" Grimsby) and we're certainly jealous of the amazing work your board is doing. But for goodness sake, have some humility. You're nowhere near as good as many of you think you are and you're nowhere near as good as you should be for the amount you've spent in the last two years.

Good luck for the rest of the season, hopefully we can both be towards the top of the table.
Well i do take it that we were second best yesterday.However as somebody sat behind our goal i can assure you the singing was loud and proud by 617 for most of 90+ minutes! Due to the poor away stand ie you cant see at the back everybody was stood right behind the goal so the acoustics were therefore poor( that also explains the alledged seating gaps in our stand)
Can you explain your non sell out ? 3 biggish areas in the main stand?

Also please pass onto the numpties i walked down the main road who would not let me reply to the rubbish they were spouting(i was threatened).
The Cowleys turned Ipswich down before Hurst was offered it. FACT.
And
The Cowleys have committed to Lincoln by now moving there families up to Lincolnshire they would not have done this by taking an offer to move on any day soon! FACT
Ps Papas restaurant aint as good as Steels.

Oh, and most of our cash has come from, you know, winning stuff.
Taking a cup competition seriously and winning it! Record 6300 season ticket sales! Player sales(big and small)! Engaging with fans (home and away)by having a fan zone raising cash as well.
Yes we have investment but we have used it right on and off the field the grimsby numpties just think it just happens.

If the extended highlights were anything to go by they were all over us for most of game - more so than Northampton even - and the midfield was like the Grand Canyon at times. An extra man, eg Woodyard, would have made a difference, but then we'd have had no one in the hole to link anything, meaning we'd just have shifted the gap further up the pitch and probably resorted to more long balls from deep as a consequence.

Nevertheless, we came away with a very useful point.
I would say that's not a reflection then, certainly a spell in the 2nd half, but 1st half only one chance. According to possession stats we shaded it I read,

Apparently Jolley is the better man cos he goes to see sick people hospital and the Cowleys dont...
Whatever I work at the hospital I know for a fact the Cowleys go the kids ward with pressies at xmas and other times of the year.
The go round the schools regularly, having taken the two trophies round the schools.
Havent engaged with the community....
The reason the Grimsby lot dont like Cowleys is because they win us things pure and simple.
This rubbish that the Cowleys spend the whole game moaning at the ref and fourth official is a bit of lame argument and saying their manager never berates the officials I find hard to believe but if he doesn't fair to him.
But some of the comments are laughable about people they know little about as do about Jolley.

Last edited:
Very strange that one or two fishy folk feel the need to come on here after a 1-1 draw. Does that means they want to gloat about a fantastic result? Odd indeed.

No I came on here to challenge the bizarre and incorrect claims that we were all "celebrating as though we'd won the league". There's no evidence of that anywhere.

Like I said previously, we're nowhere near as bad as many of your articles on here made out and there isn't too much between the sides although I still think you'll finish above us. The arrogance shown by so many of your fans before the game was mind blowing; you're Lincoln, not Man City.

As for Cowley, I know he does a lot of good stuff in the community and that's to be commended of course. But I sit in the main stand and I can assure you that he and his brother do not stop moaning at the fourth official from the first whistle to the last. But each to their own, it clearly works for them even if some may find it distasteful. He's nowhere near as bad as Steve Evans though it has to be said :lol:.

Good luck for the rest of the season except for the return obviously. Hopefully we can both be fighting at the right end of the table this season.

Seriously though, enjoy the season, and you never know what might happen - we might both go up.

It'd be nice to keep taking four points off you a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it was against all odds, we were odds on...LOL! I think most of us on here acknowledged you were the better team on the day and we got lucky.
We had just had comfortable wins v Swindon and Port Vale, no wonder there were confident predictions, on an Imps site. Looking forward to round two at the bank. Good luck!

It wasn't just the results - it was the performances. In both games we played a lot higher standard than we have been used to. We played some excellent football (not at all hoofball) and looked a good league or possibly two higher than the opposition. We're not used to that so it was amazing to watch. Saturday's game was absolutely no reflection of those two performances, for reasons I don't understand. Fair play to Grimsby, they had a game plan and played us really well and we were lucky to come away with anything. One thing's for sure - DC will be analysing the hell out of that performance to try and ensure it doesn't happen again.

It wasn't just the results - it was the performances. In both games we played a lot higher standard than we have been used to. We played some excellent football (not at all hoofball) and looked a good league or possibly two higher than the opposition. We're not used to that so it was amazing to watch. Saturday's game was absolutely no reflection of those two performances, for reasons I don't understand. Fair play to Grimsby, they had a game plan and played us really well and we were lucky to come away with anything. One thing's for sure - DC will be analysing the hell out of that performance to try and ensure it doesn't happen again.

Agreed, like DC is fond of saying, it is still a work in progress.

Might be a tight/niggly game Tues night, looking at Bury's results, they have had four tight games, including Forest. Interesting that in three of those games, four players have been sent off against them.
So not only, will we have to get team/tactics right, we'll also have to watch the discipline.
Hopefully fourth time lucky for IFollow!