Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City | Page 30 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City

The link on the match thread to a twitter post of the incident (post #236 ) doesn't catch the full incident, in particular the very start, so there is room for interpretation, but it doesn't look to me like they were 'celebrating' in the stand. You have to play it frame by frame to decipher what happens, but It looks to me like Edun, Sorenson and Bramall were on the edge of the pitch when an individual(s) in the corner of the stand behind the goal goaded Edun in some way and he stepped between the boards to face off to them. Sorenson then also leaves the pitch, steps in front of Edun and holds him to move him away from the confrontation and Bramall then steps in behind. At the same time a supporter from the side stand comes up from the blind side and shoves Bramall in the back. As Sorenson tries to move Edun back on to the pitch, the same supporter pushes Edun into Bramall, and Bramall directly, and at this point Melbourne runs in and pushes the supporter back away from the players. As the players then begin to return to the pitch Bramall squares up to the supporter and when he finally re-joins the pitch it is to signal to the Ref to report the supporter for whatever he reported him for.

So, (likely) verbal abuse from the Gillingham crowd behind the goal prompted the confrontation. Edun created the incident by stepping off the pitch. The Gillingham supporter escalated the incident by pushing players twice. Sorenson was trying to defuse it. Melbourne protected his team mates by pushing the supporter who accosted them. Bramall was both shoved and (allegedly) racially abused - probably by the fan that pushed Edun and him. At no point in that scenario is there any 'celebrating in the stand' by the Lincoln players.

The lack of hoardings didn't create the incident but if they had been there they would have prevented it.

One possibility (that you can't tell from the video) is that Edun actually stopped at the edge of the pitch and that his team mates' momentum coming up behind him could have pushed him through the gap. I have no idea whether that is correct but I suppose it is a hypothesis that needs to be discounted before Edun is condemned for intentionally stepping off the pitch.

Last edited:
I do not agree with you. Trying to fight a player doesn’t make you more of a fan or more passionate. It means you’ve got some problems you need to work on elsewhere.
Absolutely and that just about fits the profile of some hard core football fans. I haven’t at any point said it should acceptable but it is a reality of attending football matches. Opposition score a goal and go beyond the hoardings to celebrate in the faces of home fans is asking for trouble.

The Kent Messanger don't seem to be reporting it. Although there is a headline piece about a punch up between 2 binmen and some geezer. Buy further on a piece about a footballer coming out getting homophobic
abuse. Such a nice place to live is the 'Garden of England!

? Article 10 years old.

a) Gillingham fans have form for aggression that goes too far
b) players should consider their own welfare and not stray off the field of play. Yesterday Mr Stone Island pushed our player but it could have been a lot worse

The lack of hoardings didn't create the incident but if they had been there they would have prevented it.

Yours is a very complete analysis, however I disagree with you on that point.

If the hoardings had been complete they would all have stayed pitchside without question, nobody would deliberately have jumped over them to get into the spectator area.

The only other thing I can't understand is why four (?) Gillingham fans (3 of whom were unperturbed) chose to sit in those ludicrously poor view seats?

The Kent Messanger don't seem to be reporting it. Although there is a headline piece about a punch up between 2 binmen and some geezer. Buy further on a piece about a footballer coming out getting homophobic
abuse. Such a nice place to live is the 'Garden of England!
If Kent is the Garden of England, the Gillingham is the muck heap!

The only other thing I can't understand is why four (?) Gillingham fans (3 of whom were unperturbed) chose to sit in those ludicrously poor view seats?

I'm double jabbed and will be going to games, but quite a number are still concerned about proximity and the threat of catching the god awful illness from those less caring groups within our society.

Meaning no disrespect to anyone on here, but I intend to find as much space as I can when in a crowd, and those seats looked spot on from that ideal

I'm double jabbed and will be going to games, but quite a number are still concerned about proximity and the threat of catching the god awful illness from those less caring groups within our society.

Meaning no disrespect to anyone on here, but I intend to find as much space as I can when in a crowd, and those seats looked spot on from that ideal

Then it turned out they got more than they bargained for, didn't it?

Fans in general have absolutely no problem dishing it out to players for 90 minutes. The moment any player from the opposition goes anywhere near them they turn into complete fucking crybabies. "He incited me, he waved his arms in celebration near me. Poor, poor me having to watch an opposition player celebrate his goal near me" Just fucking grow up and grow a pair. You want to shout and scream at the opposition for 90 minutes with zero consequences then take it on the chin when they get a chance to rub your face in it...
Have thought this since Eric Cantona!

Surely bramall wasn’t booked for going into the crowd, as Edun was first in there, joined soon after by lasse, then bramall and then Melbourne. That would have been 4 bookings.
the beginning of the incident is on the full match replay
bramall had already had the ball thrown at him after 45 seconds.
a full season without a crowd, high emotions for the first few minutes.
heightened by the early goal for the away team right in front of the home fans.

1. Gillingham should have a gate blocking exit/entry to the pitch at that corner, or wherever there is a gap in the pitch-side barriers. if there was no gap in the barriers the altercation would not have happened.

2. Question for the imps players. Even with a gap, wrong to be off the grass, and clearly celebrating in the concrete seating area beyond the barrier.

3. a gate won’t stop racial abuse. Which is not justified at any point

I was very impressed with Liam Briddcutt yesterday not only with his playing abilities which time and time again get us out of trouble or get us going but also his leadership skills
Took control of the aftermath of the fans incident and never stops giving encouragement and advice with young Griffiths getting support after a couple of mistakes
Quality bloke

We deserve better than Hortin, he's not very good.

If Hortin spent as much time watching the game as he does watching the crowd he might be better. There were times where he was umming and ahhing about the size of the following support, the fraction of fullness of each stand and other minutes of just pure daydreaming because of crowd noise.

"Oh and BTW nothing came of the free kick."

What free kick? To who? What for? Give us a clue Hortin.

He was worse than last season when he had no crowd to distract him. Even Thommo was sighing
"Home end looks quite full Michael",.......
"um....ahhh, I'd say it's abouttttttttt...............erm........erm....2 thirds full"
"aaarghh"
"I don't know what's happening"
"That's because you're not watching the fffffffffflipping game Michael.......ya big girl's blouse"
"BTW it's a nothingburger"

Not sure I can face another 22 away days spent at home or work. lol

Last edited:
All 4 sides have been rebuilt/developed since the late 1990's so you might like to consider a trip to Specsavers or a remedial maths class. But you are correct, there should be no large walkthrough gaps from the pitch. Covid should no longer be an excuse to exclude stewards and the away-end scaffolded monstrosity should be condemned
Funnily enough I went to Specsavers for a full eye test and hearing test only last week. Both were spot-on. As for the maths, you may be right - I was always crap at that! I might have even gone there as late as the late 1990s but the point remains, it hasn’t changed a lot in 20 odd years.

Don’t misunderstand me, no excuse for racial abuse, but gives some context as to why we were in the crowd otherwise not the brightest thing to do and could be some consequences?

Big big difference between saying "Get back on the pitch ya Nobhead" and "get back on the pitch ya black Nobhead."

Last edited:
I was - slightly - but, genuinely, I really don't expect a commentator to say which player has done every single touch of the ball.
So "cleared by a defender" is perfectly adequate.
"Someone scored a goal" probably not adequate!

If that was what we get that would be fine but the guy only describes 20% (if that) of what is happening, spends the rest of the time making quips or detailing his day or trying to do the "pre-prepared facts" that you say you don't like. If he described more of what was happening then people would not be so critical but he doesn't. The 30 seconds of commentary on the highlight reel comes close to giving as much info as he does over the 90 minutes.

As for Thommo. I like the guy and have no problem with him. When he co-commentates with Rob or someone else he is fine. The problem is with Hortin he is responding to Hortin's questions/links/prompts which are mostly nudges or not related to the action on the pitch.

I turned off the minute the game ended. When the first 5 minutes from the teams coming out to the start of the match involve 20 second buzzes, followed by Hortin sounding like he is 20 feet away from his mic while Thommo is as clear as anything*, followed by a minute's silence in which all you could hear was Hortin breathing, his seat creaking like mad and then followed again by buzzing and Hortin again 20 yards from his mic I wasn't going to listen to the same after the match.........although from the posts above it sounds hilarious.

*It's almost as if the professional commentator had forgotten to turn his mic on and it was Thommo's mic picking up Hortin's voice from a distance!!!

Last edited: