Match Thread: Forlorn Forest Vs Ipswich, sponsored by Vera Lynn | Page 6 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Forlorn Forest Vs Ipswich, sponsored by Vera Lynn

I am yet to be convinced by Osborn as a left back. He has never struck me as being defensively minded enough.

As a midfielder, I think he would have to be with the right partner to be one of the two more deep lying and even then I am not 100% convinced.

For me his best position is just behind the striker in the attacking three of midfield and that is where I would like to see him for the rest of the season with lolley and cash either side.

I would rather we kept him and developed him properly in that role, particularly if we improve the side. I just don’t know if Karanka will see it that way and how much longer Ben himself will take being shunted all over the pitch before he decides he might be better off elsewhere.

I don't go to matches anymore so i don't feel qualified to comment on Ben Osborne as i havn't seen him play enough. However if as some have suggested he would attract big offers from other clubs and given that we are inferior to those clubs surely all we need to find out is the position that these buying clubs would propose to play him and stick him in there? If we have a multi million pound player we need him here don't we? Or have i got it wrong?

No you haven't got it wrong. He's been so good at filling in in any spot where needed that he's been taken for granted and it's not helping his chances. Although I've never seen him play I've followed his playing life for ages and to me he'd be an asset in any side. He's keen, he never stops, and he still seems to do his best regardless. What more do you want in a player as compared to many that we've had, and maybe still have.

He's an asset.

My opinion is that with a full pre-season of coaching and time to properly learn the roll he can be our regular left back. Having said that I expect Fuentes to leave if he hasn't already and for us to sign another one.

I would be surprised if Karanka didn’t just go out and bring in an experienced left back if I am honest but we will see.

I am yet to be convinced by Osborn as a left back. He has never struck me as being defensively minded enough.

As a midfielder, I think he would have to be with the right partner to be one of the two more deep lying and even then I am not 100% convinced.

For me his best position is just behind the striker in the attacking three of midfield and that is where I would like to see him for the rest of the season with lolley and cash either side.

I would rather we kept him and developed him properly in that role, particularly if we improve the side. I just don’t know if Karanka will see it that way and how much longer Ben himself will take being shunted all over the pitch before he decides he might be better off elsewhere.

This.

Pretty poor overall, worse than midweek, but one hell of a final 6 or 7 minutes! Pretty much the whole defence needs replacing and the same goes for the forward line. Those knocking Geddy need their heads testing. For me he was motm midweek and not far off it yesterday. Knocked a few aimless balls forward? Maybe, but at least he attempts to drive us forward and looks to make things happen, rather than automatically passing sideways or backwards.
I'm afraid I just don't see Brereton making it as an out and out striker. I know he's young, but I'm not sure what he does well as a central striker. He doesn't hold it up, poor in the air and his scoring record is up there with the worst in the league. I actually think he looked miles better playing as a wide forward under Warburton. At least there he can get the ball and look to take people on, which is the one thing he is actually pretty decent at.
A lot of work to do in the summer, and from AKs post match comments it looks like he aims to change quite a bit.

Missed this as I was playing darts with workmates at Uni of Warwick.

I say playing darts but I wasn't picked much by our captain so spent hours sitting around waiting and watching in a cellar which posed as a Union bar. Hardly worth a Friday off with pay.

So I kept checking my phone on Saturday as our team played on and on towards inevitable defeat, and noted that Forest were doing the same and would probably never score another goal. Then someone hit a double and won a game (we still lost the match) and suddenly my phone said Ben had scored a penalty. Then it claimed Lolley had won it 5 minutes into stoppage time.

I don't care if we didn't play well. We got a monkey off our back and we're safe. We might just go on to win a couple more. Still a poor season but I'd like to see some stability with AK given a chance to continue rebuilding the side.

And Derby lost at Burton to drop to 7th. Not such a bad weekend.