Match Thread: Forlorn Forest Vs Ipswich, sponsored by Vera Lynn | Page 5 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Forlorn Forest Vs Ipswich, sponsored by Vera Lynn

Didn't expect over 25,000 to turn up yesterday.
Ipswich didn't bring many so that's a decent size crowd considering recent results.

Not really, no.

He's crap at defending and atrocious positionally at defending. But you also lose most of the drive and precision that makes him effective going forward

Again I do feel sorry for him because you know he is a decent player in the right position and he will always work.

If Tomlin isn’t really contributing I would be tempted to replace him with Osborn for the last few games and see what he can do there.

Again I do feel sorry for him because you know he is a decent player in the right position and he will always work.

If Tomlin isn’t really contributing I would be tempted to replace him with Osborn for the last few games and see what he can do there.

Agree with this. I've always maintained that Osborn would thrive in the number 10 role. He's not a big goal threat but uses the ball very well; I think he'd work well with Brereton making runs behind the defence.

After his performance yesterday I'm delighted that Tomlin is unavailable for Cardiff.

I’d fuck all the playerz off & just play our own academy playerz now we are safe.

I was thinking the same thing actually.

You say Osborn is decent in the right position, but we've never found what that position is. He's not undroppable in any position but statistically he is undroppable from the team.

I agree with you- give him a go in Tomlin's position, encourage him to shoot and pick out those passes.

Bring Lichaj back into the side for left back.

Jock reckons that Tomlin wants to give it a go at Cardiff but hasn't provided any evidence for that assertion yet. However, I wouldn't be prepared to spend £2.5m+ on him right now

Didn't expect over 25,000 to turn up yesterday.
Ipswich didn't bring many so that's a decent size crowd considering recent results.
Tremendous crowd, it just shows how much the fans appreciate the new owners and all the fantastic things they have done so far and there is much more to come yet.

I think Osborn’s versatility hasn’t helped him and neither has the fact that he has never really had a chance in a decent side.

It may well be that he isn’t quite good enough in any one position but I don’t think he has ever been given enough of a run to really show one way or another.

A run in the number 10 position would be well worth trying. As has been said he has an eye for a pass and we know he can create chances. Better than keep trying players who don’t seem up for it.

I think Osborn’s versatility hasn’t helped him and neither has the fact that he has never really had a chance in a decent side.

It may well be that he isn’t quite good enough in any one position but I don’t think he has ever been given enough of a run to really show one way or another.

A run in the number 10 position would be well worth trying. As has been said he has an eye for a pass and we know he can create chances. Better than keep trying players who don’t seem up for it.

He's had a pretty complete all round football education here. He has played in every position except CF, CB and goalkeeper.

He has actually played the number 10 before, although I forget which manager it was. He did ok.

We've developed the defensive side of his game so it might be good to develop the attacking side more now

He's had a pretty complete all round football education here. He has played in every position except CF, CB and goalkeeper.

He has actually played the number 10 before, although I forget which manager it was. He did ok.

We've developed the defensive side of his game so it might be good to develop the attacking side more now

Definitely. Give him a go and see what he can do. If he isn’t up to it then fair enough, let him go but I am pretty certain there won’t be any shortage of clubs lining up for him.

I know we can be guilty of building up players too much and too quickly but we can also be guilty of knocking them down too. In my opinion and In Osborn’s case we should be making damn sure he isn’t up to being part of a promotion chasing squad before we look to get rid.

Definitely. Give him a go and see what he can do. If he isn’t up to it then fair enough, let him go but I am pretty certain there won’t be any shortage of clubs lining up for him.

I know we can be guilty of building up players too much and too quickly but we can also be guilty of knocking them down too. In my opinion and In Osborn’s case we should be making damn sure he isn’t up to being part of a promotion chasing squad before we look to get rid.

At the same time, him being fairly non essential in any position means that if a big offer came in from the PL I would sacrifice him to rebuild the squad

At the same time, him being fairly non essential in any position means that if a big offer came in from the PL I would sacrifice him to rebuild the squad

Sadly I agree if it helps bring in players that do fit in the roles needed but it’s a shame because he is a quality player if someone can figure where and how he fits in.

Sadly I agree if it helps bring in players that do fit in the roles needed but it’s a shame because he is a quality player if someone can figure where and how he fits in.

Has he ever had a lengthy go in any position and I mean something like a season. Even if not he has a real value as a squad player. Too good to lose.

We are safe. We could only be relegated by goal difference from Bolton, who are 9 points behind us with 9 to play for. They need to catch 15 goals on us too.

For the second season in a row we have secured safety with a win at home to Ipswich

I guess I was referring to the nervous posts pre match. For the same reason as u I was hopeful of points. Even at half time I felt we could and would actually score.

Agree with strawberry, manager has to be let alone to rebuild. Very excited about next season. All the hard work since the big man took charge should start to show some return. Players like bb will be a year wiser and just as hungry. Not sure about money but we r not in umbongo and have a manager who can attract players.

Cautiously optimistic here.

Has he ever had a lengthy go in any position and I mean something like a season. Even if not he has a real value as a squad player. Too good to lose.

He has never really had a lengthy run anywhere and that was my original point. He does have quality and adds value to the squad but if he can’t nail down a specific place how long will he put up with being a squad player? We know other sides have expressed an interest before so he may well decide for himself that he is better off elsewhere where he can perhaps nail down a place.

Ideally I would like to see him get a chance for us in a decent side but I am not convinced that will happen.

Osborn has played nearly 150 games for Forest. He's had a decent run in most positions I would say!

Can’t think he has had an extended run in any one position though and certainly not in a decent side. To coin a term I think with Osborn it’s time to decide whether to stick or twist...

Can’t think he has had an extended run in any one position though and certainly not in a decent side. To coin a term I think with Osborn it’s time to decide whether to stick or twist...

I reckon he's never had a run in a decent side, he could do much better than sticking with us.

I don't go to matches anymore so i don't feel qualified to comment on Ben Osborne as i havn't seen him play enough. However if as some have suggested he would attract big offers from other clubs and given that we are inferior to those clubs surely all we need to find out is the position that these buying clubs would propose to play him and stick him in there? If we have a multi million pound player we need him here don't we? Or have i got it wrong?

I think we are looking at him the wrong way. He gets on with the job wherever he plays. He makes a decent left back, in my opinion. He makes a decent cm. We need players like him not flashy, just gets on with the job. He would do a good job as a playmaker or a deep playmaker too I am sure. John McGovern was similar in many respects, often difficult to notice what he does in a game but if you single him out and watch him
He makes all the right decisions constantly.