Match Thread: Forest Vs Reading, Sponsored by the Tory Party Code of Conduct | Page 5 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Forest Vs Reading, Sponsored by the Tory Party Code of Conduct

Tbf the criticism is pretty much all about him being a much better outfield player than LB. This is spot on imo

Exactly.

I dont know how to marry up Boffin's stats with what I saw. I saw a rare poor attacking performance from Ben and a normal defensive performance from him.

This is a guy who is far better further up the pitch. For the whole first half I sit pretty much behind his position. Lolley got him out of jail a few times- in fact, at one point I felt Lolley was doing more defending than Ben was as well as more attacking.

It was a bad day, several players had one yesterday and it isn't anything to declare 'scapegoat' over. But fans have legitimate concerns about a left sided central midfielder playing left back in a team that cost nearly £30m.

It's an attacking move and weakens our defence. Maybe it will pay dividends if we start free scoring, so that what we lose defensively doesn't matter so much. But currently we aren't freescoring so it does matter. To win a game currently we need to keep a clean sheet and that leaves little margin for defensive error.

I want a successful season and that doesn't come from ignoring problems or dissmissing them. Some of you don't think there is a problem. I do. We'll see if Osborn can help us start scoring, in which case maybe he'll become a Byram of the left and it will have been a genius move.

As for Darikwa, he looked ok in a side that played poorly and that speaks volumes. Too easily beaten and still offers nothing more than a pass and then pass back going forward.

Exactly.

I dont know how to marry up Boffin's stats with what I saw. I saw a rare poor attacking performance from Ben and a normal defensive performance from him.

This is a guy who is far better further up the pitch. For the whole first half I sit pretty much behind his position. Lolley got him out of jail a few times- in fact, at one point I felt Lolley was doing more defending than Ben was as well as more attacking.

It was a bad day, several players had one yesterday and it isn't anything to declare 'scapegoat' over. But fans have legitimate concerns about a left sided central midfielder playing left back in a team that cost nearly £30m.

It's an attacking move and weakens our defence. Maybe it will pay dividends if we start free scoring, so that what we lose defensively doesn't matter so much. But currently we aren't freescoring so it does matter. To win a game currently we need to keep a clean sheet and that leaves little margin for defensive error.

I want a successful season and that doesn't come from ignoring problems or dissmissing them. Some of you don't think there is a problem. I do. We'll see if Osborn can help us start scoring, in which case maybe he'll become a Byram of the left and it will have been a genius move.

As for Darikwa, he looked ok in a side that played poorly and that speaks volumes. Too easily beaten and still offers nothing more than a pass and then pass back going forward.

I think it will pay dividends once the team gel a bit more.

On Darikwa. Brian Clough famously told one player to win the ball and then give it to someone who could play. Maybe TD has been asked to do the same thing.

Osborn wasn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination however his crossing was poor for the most part and he got done on his side a few times within the first five minutes alone !
I'm sure he'll have better games though and he did get better as the game went on as did Grabban .
Again it looks like Osborn is beyond reproach with some on here though.

Osborn is a good decent squad player but that's it. He is the guy you turn to when there are injuries or as a sub to shore up the midfield. Its ok to say he is a decent championship midfielder and he may improve to be a great left back but if we want promotion then we need to play our natural left back. Its like playing Osborn infront of Shorey just because he has lot of energy. The one who Karanka needs to get in the side more if possible is Cash. I see him as a better prospect.

Tbf the criticism is pretty much all about him being a much better outfield player than LB. This is spot on imo

He is a better midfielder than a left back but we have better midfielders. We also have a better left back at the club. People seem more desperate to get Osborn in the team than winning promotion

Appreciating the game has moved on, but for me the job of a full back is not much different today than it was when Frank Clarke - Frankie Gray - Stuart Pearce and a whole host of other iconic fullbacks that have graced the shirt.

My idea of a full backs job first and foremost is to Tackle - Win The Ball & Lay It Off - nothing pretty - nothing fancy - just do the simple things.

When did you ever see those above trying flicks & tricks in their own half when they have a simple pass on to one of their own?

How many times have we witnessed Osborn going for the ridiculous and losing the ball instead of doing the simple things?

Osborn at FB will never reach the heights of the many who have worn the No.3 - He Is No Full Back!!!

Robinson came on and actually looked the part straight away just by his experienced positional play!!! and that's what we need at Left Full Back.

My fear for Robinson though will be his first mistake in front of the A Block when all your Benny lovers will give him hell and make him the scape goat for the Boo Boys.

Last edited:
Appreciating the game has moved on, but for me the job of a full back is not much different today than it was when Frank Clarke - Frankie Gray - Stuart Pearce and a whole host of other iconic fullbacks that have graced the shirt.

My idea of a full backs job first and foremost is to Tackle - Win The Ball & Lay It Off - nothing pretty - nothing fancy - just do the simple things.

When did you ever see those above trying flicks & tricks in their own half when they have a simple pass on to one of their own?

How many times have we witnessed Osborn going for the ridiculous and losing the ball instead of doing the simple things?

Osborn at FB will never reach the heights of the many who have worn the No.3 - He Is No Full Back!!!

Robinson came on and actually looked the part straight away just by his experienced positional play!!! and that's what we need at Left Full Back.

My fear for Robinson though will be his first mistake in front of the A Block when all your Benny lovers will give him hell and make him the scape goat for the Boo Boys.

I agree with the sentiment although I am not as critical as you

Guedz has been a revelation so far this season hope he can maintain that. Performance & even results this early this season when playerz don’t know each other never mind how they play is not a worry, November onwards is when it should be judged. The idea we were going to run away with the league was always a bit far fetched. As long as we remain in touch with the top then it’s a success

who would have told us , that as things stands at the moment...the first two names on the team sheet are Gueddy and Fox ...!!! ...hope that we dont replace them for the sake of it and just to justify the other signings...
For Bury I see alot of changes...the return of Dawson, the inclusion of Byran, the return of Watson and Murphy...who will they be replacing...?

Exactly.

Is it possible you've been banging this drum for so long that you're so desperate to be right that you are incapable of impartiality? It isn't just Boffins stats, you saw our fullbacks Whoscored.com ratings.

Even the Reading fans talk about their best player being marked out of the game...

He still doesn't look comfortable at left back to me no matter what stats might say.
Left mid ?
A solid option yes.
Left back?
Not for me.
Opposing teams are targeting attacking that side for a reason.

He still doesn't look comfortable at left back to me no matter what stats might say.
Left mid ?
A solid option yes.
Left back?
Not for me.
Opposing teams are targeting attacking that side for a reason.

Besides Philips wonder strike (which was a second phase ball and not his responsibility) how much is actually being created down the left. For the matter how much cover have you seen him get from Dias or Lolley?

I think he's been good (not great) defensively but more importantly has contributed to a change in style through movement and ball retention. He's also still making the position his own.

Interesting stat here:

Derby 1-4 Leeds- attendance 27,311
Forest 1-0 Reading- attendance 27,948.

Forest beat Derby on attendance yesterday with only 826 Reading fans there (i'm.pretty sure Leeds brought more than that) and with a smaller capacity.

One particular derby cretin on twitter was laughing last weekend that forest weren't even in the top five attendances for the weekend, before someone pointed out we hadnt played at home yet- but had the second highest away attendance.

Hopefully this will quiet the bollocks about Derby having more fans

Most have only played once again home, but here is where we are

Screenshot_20180812-134034_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Usual theories about the fullbacks performance but the point of interest for me from the Reading game is the very short appearance of Soudani. I think he can play a role behind the striker as both provider and scorer of goals. Looks strong and positive. Whats needed in championship. I also feel JC will develop in this role as he had a reasonable game with flashes of excellence. I really like his movement off the ball.

This asks the question can both play just behind a striker in same team? To do this probably requires playing without wingers and therefore expecting the fullbacks to give width. This would play to Oz, Byram and Darikwa's strength's. Question is would it be better to play them in a back four or back three.

Interesting stat here:

Derby 1-4 Leeds- attendance 27,311
Forest 1-0 Reading- attendance 27,948.

Forest beat Derby on attendance yesterday with only 826 Reading fans there (i'm.pretty sure Leeds brought more than that) and with a smaller capacity.

One particular derby cretin on twitter was laughing last weekend that forest weren't even in the top five attendances for the weekend, before someone pointed out we hadnt played at home yet- but had the second highest away attendance.

Hopefully this will quiet the bollocks about Derby having more fans

Most have only played once again home, but here is where we are

View attachment 28430

3,154 Leeds fans at the Sheep Dip yesterday.