Match Thread; Forest Vs Cue Pee Arrgh Sponsored by snow in April | Vital Football

Match Thread; Forest Vs Cue Pee Arrgh Sponsored by snow in April

Pope John XXIII

Vital Football Legend
Beating QPR takes on heightened significance today. Doing so is not only a chance to wipe the smug grin off probably the manager I have liked the least in all my time as a forest fan, but the points would make us effectively safe with 6 games to go. For that reason, the importance of doing our job today cannot be overstated. 48 points with 6 games to go is massively different to 45. We'll probably be ok in any case, but the pressure difference is huge.

QPR are four places and 8 points above us, largely as a result of excellent form since Charlie Austin came in and scored 6 goals for them. They have been very "meh" over the season, never bothering the top six and always floating clear of the bottom three; the epitomy of a mid table side.

Compared to us, they have slightly more possession per game (51%-49%). They have almost the same passing accuracy (75.4% compared to our 74.5%). They are slightly more successful in the air.

In terms of strengths and weaknesses, they are a bit meh as well; any side whose key strength is defending set pieces will find the skill wasted when our best taker is Sammy Ameobi, would wouldn't score a free kick if he took a million of them.

Screenshot_20210405-080440_Samsung Internet.jpg

Warburton, true to form, has tried NINE different formations this season (compared to our five). Most common is the classic 4-2-3-1 but since signing Austin he has been fiddling with three at the back, with either two or three up front. This is working for them, although in most games it's not an abundance of goals. This is their formation against Coventry, which they won 3-0.

Screenshot_20210405-080631_Samsung Internet.jpg
Unusually for a Warburton team, their highest rated players are all defenders. They have conceded four goals more than us, which is good going for a Warburton side ( they have, like everyone, scored quite a few more).

Their defence is pretty key, but attacking wise you need to stop Elias Chair, the bloke who gave them an undeserved win over us at the start of the season.

Screenshot_20210405-080717_Samsung Internet.jpg
Chair is their top scorer and sits in the attacking midfield berth. Charlie Austin has come in and got six, and will no doubt want to score against his old club forest where he spent so many happy seasons. Lyndon Dykes is the other striker, a Scot often played on his own and who has six over the whole season. Imagine having a striker who could manage 6 goals in the season?

Their form has been strong recently, though more at home than away

Screenshot_20210405-080416_Samsung Internet.jpg

But when you look at it, they have had a dream run; the chance to play Bristol away at the moment is a golden one; they have lost the games against decent teams and been shithoused by Huddersfield; Millwall, a fellow mid table team, is about the most impressive result here.

I suspect they will come out very attacking early on, knowing how getting the first goal virtually guarentees a team points against us. They have got the City Ground monkey off their back, but a win at our ground is still very rare and I wouldn't want them to get used to it

Beating QPR takes on heightened significance today. Doing so is not only a chance to wipe the smug grin off probably the manager I have liked the least in all my time as a forest fan, but the points would make us effectively safe with 6 games to go. For that reason, the importance of doing our job today cannot be overstated. 48 points with 6 games to go is massively different to 45. We'll probably be ok in any case, but the pressure difference is huge.

QPR are four places and 8 points above us, largely as a result of excellent form since Charlie Austin came in and scored 6 goals for them. They have been very "meh" over the season, never bothering the top six and always floating clear of the bottom three; the epitomy of a mid table side.

Compared to us, they have slightly more possession per game (51%-49%). They have almost the same passing accuracy (75.4% compared to our 74.5%). They are slightly more successful in the air.

In terms of strengths and weaknesses, they are a bit meh as well; any side whose key strength is defending set pieces will find the skill wasted when our best taker is Sammy Ameobi, would wouldn't score a free kick if he took a million of them.

View attachment 47274

Warburton, true to form, has tried NINE different formations this season (compared to our five). Most common is the classic 4-2-3-1 but since signing Austin he has been fiddling with three at the back, with either two or three up front. This is working for them, although in most games it's not an abundance of goals. This is their formation against Coventry, which they won 3-0.

View attachment 47275
Unusually for a Warburton team, their highest rated players are all defenders. They have conceded four goals more than us, which is good going for a Warburton side ( they have, like everyone, scored quite a few more).

Their defence is pretty key, but attacking wise you need to stop Elias Chair, the bloke who gave them an undeserved win over us at the start of the season.

View attachment 47276
Chair is their top scorer and sits in the attacking midfield berth. Charlie Austin has come in and got six, and will no doubt want to score against his old club forest where he spent so many happy seasons. Lyndon Dykes is the other striker, a Scot often played on his own and who has six over the whole season. Imagine having a striker who could manage 6 goals in the season?

View attachment 47277

But when you look at it, they have had a dream run; the chance to play Bristol away at the moment is a golden one; they have lost the games against decent teams and been shithoused by Huddersfield; Millwall, a fellow mid table team, is about the most impressive result here.

I suspect they will come out very attacking early on, knowing how getting the first goal virtually guarentees a team points against us. They have got the City Ground monkey off their back, but a win at our ground is still very rare and I wouldn't want them to get used to it
Well Pope i wont accuse you of poor research before posting this piece. Excellent reading as usual.

View attachment 47274

View attachment 47275

View attachment 47276

View attachment 47277

I guess someone has already said that we stand no chance because their goal keeper is absolutely fabulous?
It is standard protocol, after all.

Although I have predicted a 1-0 win for us, this one could go anywhere. Our defence is good but with Austin they have a player good enough to unlock us at will. Calm but nervous...

I honestly had QPR down as a relegation candidate at the beginning of the season so fair play to Warburton, he’s done well with that team. Their form since Xmas has been very good generally.

I still find Pope’s dislike of Warburton a bit strange. We played an attractive brand of football and we were doing okay results-wise under his management given where we’d finished the previous season and the resources at his disposal. He’d also clearly identified some good players. He’s another one of those managers who I think could have gone on to improve our standing if he’d been given sufficient time.

I still find Pope’s dislike of Warburton a bit strange. We played an attractive brand of football and we were doing okay results-wise under his management given where we’d finished the previous season and the resources at his disposal. He’d also clearly identified some good players. He’s another one of those managers who I think could have gone on to improve our standing if he’d been given sufficient time.
Which good players were they, and where are they now?

Warbs was an annoying cockney but to say he’s worse than Megson who pretty much everyone ever hates. Then there’s clueless Colin, dour Doug, cotts the clown, Yawn O’Dismal etc.

Warbs was an annoying cockney but to say he’s worse than Megson who pretty much everyone ever hates. Then there’s clueless Colin, dour Doug, cotts the clown, Yawn O’Dismal etc.
It's not about worse or better.

It's just personal dislike.

Most of those managers were just shit

Warburton on the other hand was full of shit.

Big difference

It's not about worse or better.

It's just personal dislike.

Most of those managers were just shit

Warburton on the other hand was full of shit.

Big difference

I think you’re a little harsh on him given he was a fairly placid guy.

Interestingly though, as somebody who wanted to him more than any others as manager for the football he played, i actually reflect on that season as utter dross.

There’s that general view that we played attractive football and occasionally it was good Eg. QPR, but I actually found overall it was dull and so unnaturally manufactured that it was painful watching us do our best to play it round the back four at a snails pace and wait for players like Armand Traore and Darikwa to offer something on the overlap.

Tedious year for me.

Interestingly though, as somebody who wanted to him more than any others as manager for the football he played, i actually reflect on that season as utter dross.

There’s that general view that we played attractive football and occasionally it was good Eg. QPR, but I actually found overall it was dull and so unnaturally manufactured that it was painful watching us do our best to play it round the back four at a snails pace and wait for players like Armand Traore and Darikwa to offer something on the overlap.

Tedious year for me.
And I think that was the thing. He talked a good game but never delivered. The football was mostly tedious and awful and he had no clue how to sort our defence because he didn’t seem to understand the concept of buying them.

And I think that was the thing. He talked a good game but never delivered. The football was mostly tedious and awful and he had no clue how to sort our defence because he didn’t seem to understand the concept of buying them.

Yep, every other corner or free kick ended up in the back of our net. It’s not until you see a good defence like ours now that you realise how bad that one ended up being. God I hated Traore!

It was the first step towards trying to make us into a footballing side. That doesn't happen overnight, if he'd stayed we'd have a similar style to Brentford but with better results.

Tedious year for me.
Agreed.

I remember the first game against Derby. We immediately started playing pretty passing triangles around defence.

And I remember thinking that this was all fine while we were winning, but it would get frustrating as fuck when we were doing it whilst losing. It did.

Worst thing was that you knew there was no plan B. If the other side were just better than us on the day there was nothing tactical that was ever going to happen to remedy that or change the game.

And it really pissed me off when he started getting shirty on the radio because he didn't like being questioned.

Never wanted him, never liked him.