Match thread, Forest v Luton, part of a lucky run? | Vital Football

Match thread, Forest v Luton, part of a lucky run?

Old Red Fart

Vital Champions League
Won 3, drawn 2, lost 1. I think we're getting just that little bit of luck at the moment which can mean a lot. I used to think that Luton were not much of a club, small ground, small crowds, and only a few years ago in the Conference. And then I remembered that they'd once won the F.A. Cup and then were playing the great Nottingham Forest in another F.A. Cup Final to which I was lucky enough to have a ticket. On reflection that was probably the only high spot I've ever had with the Reds. Currently they sit 1 point above us in the table, so much for the little club syndrome. I was in Australia for all of the Clough years working long hours on my own business and I doubt whether those years will ever be repeated. At that time I'd never heard of Vital Forest, or 606, or anything else that would have kept me informed.
And now Luton sit 1 point above us, they can't be that bad otherwise I'd feel fairly sure of the points, now I'm beginning to sweat a bit. If we can't pick up 3 points today then we're in trouble.

I've never been to Luton and have no more knowledge than I've shown on here so over to you fellows with all the knowhow.

Won 3, drawn 2, lost 1. I think we're getting just that little bit of luck at the moment which can mean a lot. I used to think that Luton were not much of a club, small ground, small crowds, and only a few years ago in the Conference. And then I remembered that they'd once won the F.A. Cup and then were playing the great Nottingham Forest in another F.A. Cup Final to which I was lucky enough to have a ticket. On reflection that was probably the only high spot I've ever had with the Reds. Currently they sit 1 point above us in the table, so much for the little club syndrome. I was in Australia for all of the Clough years working long hours on my own business and I doubt whether those years will ever be repeated. At that time I'd never heard of Vital Forest, or 606, or anything else that would have kept me informed.
And now Luton sit 1 point above us, they can't be that bad otherwise I'd feel fairly sure of the points, now I'm beginning to sweat a bit. If we can't pick up 3 points today then we're in trouble.

I've never been to Luton and have no more knowledge than I've shown on here so over to you fellows with all the knowhow.

We've still got a photo cut out of the pink Football Post of my dad and Uncle (and rather a lot of other people!) waiting for the train on Beeston station, on the way to the 1959 FA Cup Final . Been to Luton Airport. Lorraine Chase wasn't there that day though !

Who remembers the days when they laid on a "football special" train to get you to the games ?

Last edited:
We've still got a photo cut out of the pink Football Post of my dad and Uncle (and rather a lot of other people!) waiting for the train on Beeston station, on the way to the 1959 FA Cup Final . Been to Luton Airport. Lorraine Chase wasn't there that day though !

Who remembers the days when they laid on a "football special" train to get you to the games ?

At that time I was just married and living on the South Coast, no spare cash, took all my spare cash just to get there and get home. A great day though, I treasured the match day program for years until it disappeared, always blamed my young brother.

I don’t mind Luton as a club & it’s not their fault that tiny Tommy two names is a fan of them.

One thing I will say against them is their manager seems like an angry humourless prick.

The old pink football post a lifeline for someone living 80 miles away (it was a long way then), as a kid it always used to amaze me how they got it printed and distributed as quickly as they did, they'd struggle to replicate it with today's technology never mind what was available then. Football specials on the train are another thing, a team would draw a cup tie on a Sat and several trains would be organised and made ready for a replay Tues / Weds. I am led to believe that the rail authorities want several months notice now if you want to put on a special train, but done in days in those days
As a 9 year old we had moved from Nottinghamshire to the east coast about 4 years previously and it was the 59 cup final that finally convinced me that Forest were my team as my dad was a stags fan & grandad a County fan, remember watching on small screened B/W TV in the corner, dreadful reception on the East Coast in those days you never new when you would get a picture or not. The Pink paper Football post, football specials and the 1959 final all brings tears to my eyes in a nice way. Just hope Forest don't have the same effect in a bad way this evening

The old pink football post a lifeline for someone living 80 miles away (it was a long way then), as a kid it always used to amaze me how they got it printed and distributed as quickly as they did, they'd struggle to replicate it with today's technology never mind what was available then. Football specials on the train are another thing, a team would draw a cup tie on a Sat and several trains would be organised and made ready for a replay Tues / Weds. I am led to believe that the rail authorities want several months notice now if you want to put on a special train, but done in days in those days
As a 9 year old we had moved from Nottinghamshire to the east coast about 4 years previously and it was the 59 cup final that finally convinced me that Forest were my team as my dad was a stags fan & grandad a County fan, remember watching on small screened B/W TV in the corner, dreadful reception on the East Coast in those days you never new when you would get a picture or not. The Pink paper Football post, football specials and the 1959 final all brings tears to my eyes in a nice way. Just hope Forest don't have the same effect in a bad way this evening

You could leave the game at 5 , and call in at your local paper shop at 6 on the way home to buy your Football Post . As you say that was quite a feat in those days.

At that time I was just married and living on the South Coast, no spare cash, took all my spare cash just to get there and get home. A great day though, I treasured the match day program for years until it disappeared, always blamed my young brother.

My dad had a Union Jack songsheet, but as far as I'm aware he didn't have a programme. I did cheat a few years back and buy one off ebay though !

Think the game in hand others have means a win is useful. That fears of relegation are fading means, for me anyway, i want to see performance levels build.

Much more please of the few fluid moves we saw against the sheep. Freeman is running out of time to have an impact imo

Think the game in hand others have means a win is useful. That fears of relegation are fading means, for me anyway, i want to see performance levels build.

Much more please of the few fluid moves we saw against the sheep. Freeman is running out of time to have an impact imo
Personally I'd rather see Mighten play and improve. He even gets the odd goal. I guess Freeman showed a few signs against Derby.

My dad had a Union Jack songsheet, but as far as I'm aware he didn't have a programme. I did cheat a few years back and buy one off ebay though !
My memory is telling me that the song the fans used to sing then was the "Robin Hood" theme "Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding through the glen" etc but it is 62 years ago so might have that wrong

Why does this thread just read like a recording of rambling conversations in an old people's home, or something that that drunk old barrister in the Fast Show would come out with? Even the facts are wrong: Luton have not won the FA Cup, the nearest being when they lost to Forest in 1959 when Roy Dwight broke his leg. They have won the League Cup (beating Arsenal in 1988) and then lost to Forest in the 1989 Final, but so what? The times when these two clubs were in the top half of the top division are many years behind. Nathan Jones seems to have brought an improvement to Luton, who, like Barnsley, have used their narrow escape from relegation last year to push on and perform much better. I still think that Forest will have too much for them though.

My memory is telling me that the song the fans used to sing then was the "Robin Hood" theme "Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding through the glen" etc but it is 62 years ago so might have that wrong

You're right about that song but it was always a miserable effort, never seemed to help. It started off in that Cup final at Wembley but didn't last the pace like the current stuff.

Why does this thread just read like a recording of rambling conversations in an old people's home, or something that that drunk old barrister in the Fast Show would come out with? Even the facts are wrong: Luton have not won the FA Cup, the nearest being when they lost to Forest in 1959 when Roy Dwight broke his leg. They have won the League Cup (beating Arsenal in 1988) and then lost to Forest in the 1989 Final, but so what? The times when these two clubs were in the top half of the top division are many years behind. Nathan Jones seems to have brought an improvement to Luton, who, like Barnsley, have used their narrow escape from relegation last year to push on and perform much better. I still think that Forest will have too much for them though.

Sounds as though you may be younger than some of us. Never mind though one day you might get your turn.

Sounds as though you may be younger than some of us. Never mind though one day you might get your turn.
Well I was around for the Clough years, although we moved across the midlands just as Forest got good, so saw less of them than I wanted. And the only Final that I managed to see Forest in was the 1989 Simod Cup Final, 4-3 win over Everton at Wembley, which even the most die- hard would concede will never be the basis of the "you're not famous any more" chant. I fear now that none of us will get our "turn", though we may have a shot at being a lower- end Premier League team. The days of dominating Europe will never be seen. It is an interesting and striking fact that it is still the case that Nottingham is the smallest city in Europe to have had a European Cup- winning team.