Match Thread - Forest v Birmingham City, 3 points here ? | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Forest v Birmingham City, 3 points here ?

If football is cyclical, why have we been a steaming pile of dogshit for over 20 years?

Late 50’s till late 60’s we were shit we were then shit again till the late 70’s we then a couple of blips were good till 2000 & it’s now been shit for as long as it was good under Clough, Clark & to a lesser degree Bassett.

That looks like a bit cyclical to me.

Boethius : It's my belief that history is a wheel. "Inconstancy is my very essence," says the wheel. "Rise up on my spokes if you like, but don't complain when you're cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it's also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away."

At the very least you normally get a bit of a new manager bounce. Other than going slightly more direct, nothing much seems to have changed under CH. Even Rooney has managed a bit of an improvement, though hopefully his luck has run out, and a series of draws won't get them too far either.

New manager bounce has no statistical reality.

Late 50’s till late 60’s we were shit we were then shit again till the late 70’s we then a couple of blips were good till 2000 & it’s now been shit for as long as it was good under Clough, Clark & to a lesser degree Bassett.

That looks like a bit cyclical to me.

Boethius : It's my belief that history is a wheel. "Inconstancy is my very essence," says the wheel. "Rise up on my spokes if you like, but don't complain when you're cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it's also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away."

We won the FA Cup in the late 50s.

We were runners up in the league in the late 60s.

How can we write the season off when we're embroiled in a relegation battle?

I'm sure most supporters wouldn't expect us to just go down without a fight despite the performances and results indicating that's what will happen.

Ive mentioned that. Its all there is to play for but i would expect more than just not get relegated. I want to see signs of progress for next season cos i dont want to repeat this one.

You obviously did not read what I wrote; the Club are clearly building an identity at under age level, and that is clearly the place to start with continuity being the key; however, if you seriously think there is any ethos or culture which can withstand the pressures we are under at the moment, then you have never played at any competitive level - once your confidence goes it becomes a fucking nightmare, and that's without having your every move scrutinised on TV.

There is no sign of ultra defensive football at under age level and yet they play the very same formation; maybe the youngsters are more amenable to change and new ideas than the seasoned professionals are.

I really am surprised that you cannot see why attacking is such a problem for us and why we fail to get more players into scoring positions, although we are getting more players into those positions this season than we did at any stage last season.

And I wish people would stop talking about creativity as if they had the faintest idea of what it means.

Keeping possession has been a major problem all season; we cannot keep possession because when the ball is played forward it does not stick and comes straight back.

That is because the Centre Forward has not been strong enough to retain possession and has not seen fit to make a run to receive the ball - what comes first the pass or the movement?

We do not get enough players into the box to take advantage of any chances we create; this was a huge problem last season - neither Lolley or Ameobi have the slightest interest in getting into the box and taking the responsibility of getting into a scoring position, both are far more comfortable shooting from distance - look at Lolley against Stoke in the final game last season - clean through with only the keeper to beat and he shit himself - he would probably have scored if he had shot from 25 yards.

We have had to wait for a young kid to come into the side to show the first inclination of what is needed because the senior pro's are too fucking frightened to take the responsibility - you could say that by picking Mighten, Hughton has displayed more attacking intent than Lamouchi did.

How many time during a game do you see Yates or Sow or the defenders on the ball, look up with the intention of making a forward pass, only to end up playing a sideways pass or a pass back to the keeper?

The player in possession needs movement if he is to make a telling pass, and that is the one thing we are not getting from our forwards - no movement equals no creativity.

Of the 8 players you mention three are loans so we will not be paying anything like their true wage, but its interesting to see you have now cast Darikwa onto the scrap heap.

Of the others Colback was deemed a good signing and so was Arter; neither have performed to anything like their ability so far this season.

And besides that the squad we have is not in a bad position despite the inflated numbers this season; its a good job we have had the numbers considering the injuries we have had.

Absolving the players from responsibility is absolutely the wrong thing to do; I know you have an axe to grind with Marinakis but blaming dark forces for our current predicament is just plain daft.

Oh and your point about wages was misleading. Arter alone will be on 1.5m+ a year. Add in the others and it will be triple that. Do you consider it money well spent?

We won the FA Cup in the late 50s.

We were runners up in the league in the late 60s.

Yes I know but there wasn’t a great deal between them that’s why I put it as a lull

Granted not as much of lull but football was different there.

56 in the PL
56 in the championship
5 in league 1

That’s pretty much cyclical as well

I’m also aware they weren’t always called those.

Last edited:
I would crawl across America naked on broken glass and then swim across a shark infested Atlantic Ocean where the water is made up entirely of ebola particles and the sharks are carrying venomous snakes in their mouths and the snakes are carrying hypodermic needles in their mouths and the hypodermic needles are contaminated with AIDS for us to experience a lull like that.

I would crawl across America naked on broken glass and then swim across a shark infested Atlantic Ocean where the water is made up entirely of ebola particles and the sharks are carrying venomous snakes in their mouths and the snakes are carrying hypodermic needles in their mouths and the hypodermic needles are contaminated with AIDS for us to experience a lull like that.

Bit much but yeah.

That's quick was that even 5 games, hope they don't get someone in who gets them winning games.

They sound in big trouble probably use someone within the club to manage trying to cut costs.