Match Thread: Exeter City v Lincoln City | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Exeter City v Lincoln City

By all accounts our kit man was assaulted during the pitch invasion ?

Oh no that’s terrible hope he is ok

Bastards hope they are caught or even better a meeting with Rhead and waterfall

Coming from Devon they were probably trying to get to their family member in the other stand to celebrate in the Devon way

I’ve not got the experience to know, but any theories as to why that would be the case?

To be fair, I think they are hamstrung today by the millions of petty rules and proscribed yellow and red card offences. The best referees of yesteryear - the likes of Keith Hackett and Roger Kirkpatrick - had a knack of allowing a game to flow, but they would find that very difficult with the 3,500-page FIFA rule book weighing them down.

Just my perception of 50 years watching the game.

Personally think 4-3-3 hindered us today. We had no support going down the wings and were overrun in midfield. Unfortunate that we were forced to put Botswick in defence because we missed him cleaning up the bits and pieces and stopping Boateng.

Did think this. There's no way if it's Bostwick rather than Whitehouse making that tackle on Boateng on the edge of the area that his next touch is wrapping his foot around a 25 yarder.

Know it was mentioned we had a good record with Whitehouse/Freck in midfield but looked a bit lightweight when they were breaking in there.

I think they have cottoned on that they share the same stage with the likes of Ronaldo et al.

This has filtered down and they all want to get on sky sports

Did think this. There's no way if it's Bostwick rather than Whitehouse making that tackle on Boateng on the edge of the area that his next touch is wrapping his foot around a 25 yarder.

Know it was mentioned we had a good record with Whitehouse/Freck in midfield but looked a bit lightweight when they were breaking in there.
For me, watching whitehouse’s contribution is the most frustrating part of our game. We are not playing 433 with him, we are playing a luxurious version of 424

To be fair, I think they are hamstrung today by the millions of petty rules and proscribed yellow and red card offences. The best referees of yesteryear - the likes of Keith Hackett and Roger Kirkpatrick - had a knack of allowing a game to flow, but they would find that very difficult with the 3,500-page FIFA rule book weighing them down.

Just my perception of 50 years watching the game.
I’m not disagreeing, I’m just personally very interested by football before my time and how people perceive the changes in the game

Yup completely agree. For me Whitehouse is a squad player rather than a starter. A energetic player to bring on with 20 minutes left to pest the opposition.

Danny's reaction to the key moments:

"He is a Championship referee and I can't believe how poor his performance was tonight. It's a season's-worth of hard-work for ourselves out the window. Same with the penalty appeal in the second half."

For me, watching whitehouse’s contribution is the most frustrating part of our game. We are not playing 433 with him, we are playing a luxurious version of 424

Yeah. Fair play to him he's good at sniffing a goal out and he's quite useful trying to win the ball back high up the field but he just doesn't impact a game as a midfielder. Not going to create much because his touch/passing aren't fantastic, and doesn't have the same presence as a Bostwick or Woodyard.

On another more jammy day his equaliser changes the game, but do feel like he's a bring on to get you a goal player at the moment rather than a key starting player.

For me Whitehouse and Anderson simply don't offer enough. They are squad players but we need an upgrade.

I’m not disagreeing, I’m just personally very interested by football before my time and how people perceive the changes in the game
There were fewer cameras. And no internet discussion of every time a Lino flags. But then, we still had wba’s ‘Goal’ against Leeds!

I get Danny's frustration but the Ref didn't lose us the game. I'd rather managers didn't blame the officials.

Yeah tbh I think he got *most* right. We got a bit of luck in the Checkatrade Final with Rhead and I think it's always going to go either way with him!

For me Whitehouse and Anderson simply don't offer enough. They are squad players but we need an upgrade.
They both like to chase their first touch. The injuries to others haven’t helped. But also, why are Pett and Williams not ahead of them?

Yeah. Fair play to him he's good at sniffing a goal out and he's quite useful trying to win the ball back high up the field but he just doesn't impact a game as a midfielder. Not going to create much because his touch/passing aren't fantastic, and doesn't have the same presence as a Bostwick or Woodyard.

On another more jammy day his equaliser changes the game, but do feel like he's a bring on to get you a goal player at the moment rather than a key starting player.

4 goals this season... 1 a penalty. Make of that what you will. Personally I don’t think he brings anything like as much as we need from our most advanced player in a midfield 3.