Match Thread: Exeter City v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Exeter City v Lincoln City

Yeah. Fair play to him he's good at sniffing a goal out and he's quite useful trying to win the ball back high up the field but he just doesn't impact a game as a midfielder. Not going to create much because his touch/passing aren't fantastic, and doesn't have the same presence as a Bostwick or Woodyard.

On another more jammy day his equaliser changes the game, but do feel like he's a bring on to get you a goal player at the moment rather than a key starting player.
The goal at Wembley and the one tonight were similar though. Two yards out, no challenge. Your gran [or Andy cole] bangs that in. But those are rare ones. Sniffing out the more tricky loose ball is what we need in that position.

The goal at Wembley and the one tonight were similar though. Two yards out, no challenge. Your gran [or Andy cole] bangs that in. But those are rare ones. Sniffing out the more tricky loose ball is what we need in that position.

I suppose you've got to be in there to do it, and quite a few of our midfielders aren't. He probably needs to get four or five more for it to be close to viable though (agree 79imp).

They both like to chase their first touch. The injuries to others haven’t helped. But also, why are Pett and Williams not ahead of them?

Williams is a baffling one, athletic and a bit more presence so suits the narrow front three very well. Never seemed to play that badly, but not a look in off the bench or otherwise. Not fit? Attitude?

Williams is a baffling one, athletic and a bit more presence so suits the narrow front three very well. Never seemed to play that badly, but not a look in off the bench or otherwise. Not fit? Attitude?

He was on from the start at Barnet and certainly played badly then ! but was not the only one,

He was on from the start at Barnet and certainly played badly then ! but was not the only one,

Ha I'd forgotten about Barnet. Certainly wasn't the only one that day, was that pretty much the last we saw of him though?

Before that he'd been promising on occasion I felt.

Ha I'd forgotten about Barnet. Certainly wasn't the only one that day, was that pretty much the last we saw of him though?

Before that he'd been promising on occasion I felt.

Think it was the last time he got a start, just cameo since then.

I get Danny's frustration but the Ref didn't lose us the game. I'd rather managers didn't blame the officials.

I'll spell it out for Mr Cowley.

We....were....not...as...good....as....Exeter. Now take your medicine, as unpalatable as it may seem. Stop drippin' and come back better next time and take your own advice, don't slate the refs and don't engage in trash talk.

Goal one, was three free touches in the box area.
Goal two, if you get shrugged off and don’t fancy chasing him, just foul him on the halfway line whitehouse. Not black enough for us.
Goal three, time to set himself to shoot twenty yards out, no midfielder within five yards.
Think we contributed to our own downfall. Looked like we respected them too much.

...or were just too knackered ?

I’ve not got the experience to know, but any theories as to why that would be the case?

Personally, I think its down to the players and the speed of the game. Its a lot harder these day to find the right balance between letting the game flow and pulling players up for various offences. I also think players and coaches going back 20 years plus were a lot more honourable and sporting and made the refs job a lot easier. These days the speed of the game, the subtle, cynical and "professional" fouling and the gamesmanship and timewasting rules the game. Unfortunately watching the other PO games, it seems to be the norm in todays game as every team was doing it & some of the integrity and sportsmanship has been overtaken by "professionalism" and win at all costs. IMHO it makes the game more exciting but also more controversial and edgy (& not in a good way often). We are no different to any other team in the way we employ gamesmanship (& sometimes less subtle which is why we get less of the decisions from refs). and I personally would rather see it stamped out a bit, but where do you start?

Footballing wise - Exeter far better. Something for DC & Bros to seriously to think about. However, you need the rub of the green too & Exe had that, as well as homer ref'ing. Rhead hand ball um well maybe but then again he was pushed & then was wiped out out in the 80 min. Ref no balls they should have had 3 yellow cards in the 1st half. Come along way in 2 years & Rome was not built in a day.

Buy Boateng & Jayden & that centre back v Rhead & We will go up. Who the chuff are Exeter!!!!

The winners of last night's game, deservedly IMO.

I'll spell it out for Mr Cowley.

We....were....not...as...good....as....Exeter. Now take your medicine, as unpalatable as it may seem. Stop drippin' and come back better next time and take your own advice, don't slate the refs and don't engage in trash talk.

Did you see his interview on sky after the game?

He flat out said that Exeter were the better team at the start. Then went on to say how he was disappointed with some of the decisions. I think that’s a very fair interview.

Exeter were the better team last night. The problem is the ref did help them be the better team. He was absolutely atrocious. In a game without him they probably would have still won but it would have been a much closer and better game.

Did you see his interview on sky after the game?

He flat out said that Exeter were the better team at the start. Then went on to say how he was disappointed with some of the decisions. I think that’s a very fair interview.

I was talking about the BBC Local Radio one. And the report on BBC Sport. He was scathing of the officials. The interview on Sky was by far the more professional of his.

"He is a Championship referee and I can't believe how poor his performance was tonight. It's a season's-worth of hard-work for ourselves out the window. Same with the penalty appeal in the second half.

Lots of magnanimous posters on here, but I feel very deflated. It was another entry in our collection of Bad Lincoln Play Off Performances where we don't do ourselves justice and concede goals we wouldn't concede in league matches (see Bournemouth, Bristol R). And, why do we have to always come across opponents at the absolute peak of their game (see ahem... Bournemouth, Bristol R.)?

I also don't think we got any decisions over the two legs. But Exeter were mainly helped by our team selection (forced by injury). As others have pointed out Bossie in the middle, Wharton at the back, Eardley on the right may have been better, in fact might have prevented all three goals, which were amongst the most disappointing we have conceded all season.