Match Thread: Everton v Lincoln City | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Everton v Lincoln City

We did all a fourth tier side could do away to a Premier League side, although we sat too deep for the first twenty minutes and were deservedly two down. But:
Leighton Baines was magnificent. At 34 and with only 4 starts to his name all season, Danny - get on the phone and ask if he fancies some winter sun in the Lincolnshire Alps. He would rip League Two to pieces.

Player coach why not. The Cowley’s will be hot property soon. Why not why not good idea. He can only say no

What a terrific performance. We came out with good intent but I thought we were in for a hammering after their two goals but we settled and responded excellently.

We were never going to outplay them and it was inevitable that we would have to try a different tact to get anything, namely being more direct than of late in the first half. We got our tails up after the goal and without really looking like creating much from open play, started to unsettle them.

At that point I think they gave us a bit more respect and we realised that we were able to compete. That was evident with their double substitution at halftime.

Our second half performance was immense. We were very well organised defensively and dare I say, looked reasonably comfortable with their attacking threat. Bozzie played a blinder and despite Vicker’s obvious injury concern, he looked assured and pulled off a fantastic save from Sigurdsson.

They were at no point comfortable with a one goal cushion and pressed us to try and put things to bed, which just didn’t happen.

Goal scoring chances were inevitably few and far between but we became more relaxed and tried to pass it round more going forward.

I thought O’Connor was excellent and was probably only taken off to add a more attacking dimension, which was necessary with the time remaining. There was no point in settling for a valiant defeat without giving it a go.

It was great to see Chapman come on and he played a beauty of a ball to McCartan. I think he will shine in the future in more free flowing games where he has a bit more time on the ball.

Andrade wasn’t afraid to demonstrate his flair when having a go at their full back, and Anderson similarly tried his usual run at them without fear approach.

Akinde showed his ability and Rhead also kept up his deft touches, looking un-phased again playing against higher quality opposition.

An overall fantastic performance from the whole team. This was no plucky lower league showing against the big boys. We gave a tremendous account of ourselves, as good as I’d hoped we would.

Now we move on to the real goal of the league, from which this performance can do nothing but galvanise us and push us forward. UTI

I was going to chip in with my impressions of an excellent, gutsy performance but Huntsward's pretty well match my own.

Finally can comment.
And all u can say is magnificent performance.
We drew the first 10 mins, lost the next 5 mins then won the remaining 75 mins.
After going 2-0 down, that was an outstanding effort by all our players.

And there could easily have been an equaliser too.

MOTM? Really no idea, but Akinde put in an excellent shift then Rheady replaced him with another Rheady performance.
Harry Anderson caused repeated problems, Bruno did well (apart from final corner!).
Bozzie obviously gets a top mention for the goal, and all the defence did well.
I think I'd go for Freck as my MOTM. Ran midfield well and played some cracking balls.

Well done everyone! (Including us fans!!!)

After the first 15 minutes I thought we were superb gave them too much room early doors once Bossie got his goal we competed well, thought He and Shackell were very good at the back.

It was great to see us play at one of the top grounds in the country and hold our own against a good premiership team.

And sat in the home end it was great to hear the fans singing for 90 minutes.

Just one small complaint why oh why did McCarten not just put that last minute corner into the box instead of trying to be a clever bugger.

I didn't go today but by the reports from everyone and the result there's not enough words to say how proud I am of our Board Management & Players.
Also things got better in the League Mansfield lost and a player sent off & 2 games & 5 pts inhand of the 3rd team.

A great day out, only drawback meeting Luton fans on the train on the way back to rural Herts. Bigging it up with their massive fan base next year in the Championship. And how the league 1 badge will be coming off their sleeve to be replaced by the Championship badge ! They want Man I away ! Let's sort the replay first chaps !

Fantastic performance after the first 20 minutes where it didn’t look good. We managed to get ourselves back in the game, and had a good spell leading up to half time.

What impressed me most not the fact we never really looked like getting an equaliser just more the resilience and team shape was so dogged it was great to see.

Everton kept good possession but felt they lack up front and will never trouble the top six until they improve.

Proper old school ground, in a great footballing City where the imps more than held there own.

Just got back. A great day all round. Missed Danny’s appearance as we were in one of the pubs rather than out in the square. What a thing to do before such an important game. What a guy. When they went 2 up I thought we were going to be on a the end of a mauling, but we suddenly realised there were two teams involved and started to get at them. They were rattled and we just kept going culminating in Bozzies poke home. In fact if you forget the first 15 mins, we won the last 75 mins 1 - 0. The team was awesome and at the whistle it really didn’t feel like a defeat. Everton were in a game and they knew it. Well done lads you did us proud.

A great day out, only drawback meeting Luton fans on the train on the way back to rural Herts. Bigging it up with their massive fan base next year in the Championship. And how the league 1 badge will be coming off their sleeve to be replaced by the Championship badge ! They want Man I away ! Let's sort the replay first chaps !

But at the end of the day they support Luton, the cosmopolitan intellectual hot bed. Look mum and dad I have made it I live in Luton! Do the UN and Red Cross still operate there?

however big their fan base gets, they are still restricted by their ground size. whatever league they make it to. miles ahead of us in terms of moving to a bigger stadium, but probably still years away from being in it. certainly on the up, and jones is a good manager/coach that has been instrumental so far. lots of parallels with lcfc, if we can build an academy like theirs we will be doing well in that area too.

Christ that awful defender they had who couldn’t handle Akinde is a French international and is on loan from Chelsea. really? How sobering!

I reckon he will end up as Boston Uniteds 43rd player of the season at this rate

however big their fan base gets, they are still restricted by their ground size. whatever league they make it to. miles ahead of us in terms of moving to a bigger stadium, but probably still years away from being in it. certainly on the up, and jones is a good manager/coach that has been instrumental so far. lots of parallels with lcfc, if we can build an academy like theirs we will be doing well in that area too.

Luton and Peterborough are very similar. Spend a lot buying big fish from small pond and hope to sell on. That the sustains the rest of the team.

Great effort. It was a shame we showed them a bit too much respect at the start (if being critical) and Eardley got a going over from Bernard (good player). Not sure why he didn't anticipate his run for the second or why it was so easy to get a cross in and then have a tiny player head it in (did bossie nearly punch it out?)

After that fantastic and we had them really rattled from set pieces. You can tell we'd put in some work on how to exploit them. Really thought we might will one in at the end but that McCartan corner was awful, not sure why Andrade didn't take it!

All round though a fantastic effort, keeps momentum for us too I think. Pleased Chapman got on and played one cracking ball too.

Christ that awful defender they had who couldn’t handle Akinde is a French international and is on loan from Chelsea. really? How sobering!

I reckon he will end up as Boston Uniteds 43rd player of the season at this rate

He looked a good CB at Chelsea until a really bad injury (hyper extension/ ligament injury) sorry not into orthopaedics so don’t really know, but he has never quite recovered. Akinde worked hard and put in a great shift today for me.