Match Thread: Everton v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Everton v Lincoln City

Someone said Jason Shackell went straight down the tunnel at the end of the game without acknowledging the Imps fans. Unusual for him ... does anyone know any more? Injury.. peed off cos they lost...? Anything? Would be interesting of Radio Lincs asked the question at this week's presser (though I'm sur DC would straight-bat it. Be good if this week's player for the presse was Jason.
I've read about that on twitter, others have said ignore that as he was straight over to clap the fans but did leave quickly after that.

Someone said Jason Shackell went straight down the tunnel at the end of the game without acknowledging the Imps fans. Unusual for him ... does anyone know any more? Injury.. peed off cos they lost...? Anything? Would be interesting of Radio Lincs asked the question at this week's presser (though I'm sur DC would straight-bat it. Be good if this week's player for the presse was Jason.
Bostwick wasn't with the others I did notice that, he was nearly off the pitch while the others were acknowledging us. Can't remember if I saw Shackell or not.

I haven’t read this properly yet but looks interesting on a quick glance

To be honest there is nothing tactically innovative about the tactics used.

A back four strung across the width of the 18 yard line with four midfielders 5-10 yards ahead has been the boilerplate way of defending at the Camp Nou for the past 10 years. And often against Barcelona on your own ground. David Moyes claimed credit for this in one of his rare victories while at Real Sociedad, but it was just copied from everyone else. And you have to get lucky to win as well.

Its disadvantage, as we saw on Saturday, is that when you get the ball it is very difficult to launch attacks from such a withdrawn position.

This is not to criticise. The fact that this tactical plan was carried out - even though it could have fallen apart in the first 15 minutes as there were two key fails (defending a cross, and then failing to cut out the short through ball on the edge of the area), is a testament to the discipline that's been instilled in the team.

There wasn't much pressure applied on Everton but it kept us in the game to the last minute, and it wasn't as if they had no alarms at the back, albeit they were comfortable for most of the match.

Bostwick wasn't with the others I did notice that, he was nearly off the pitch while the others were acknowledging us. Can't remember if I saw Shackell or not.
I have noticed at home games that Jason and Bozzie leave the pitch earlier than the others- I don’t think we should read too much into it- they probably want to get in the shower first and then away home.

To be honest there is nothing tactically innovative about the tactics used.

A back four strung across the width of the 18 yard line with four midfielders 5-10 yards ahead has been the boilerplate way of defending at the Camp Nou for the past 10 years. And often against Barcelona on your own ground. David Moyes claimed credit for this in one of his rare victories while at Real Sociedad, but it was just copied from everyone else. And you have to get lucky to win as well.

Its disadvantage, as we saw on Saturday, is that when you get the ball it is very difficult to launch attacks from such a withdrawn position.

This is not to criticise. The fact that this tactical plan was carried out - even though it could have fallen apart in the first 15 minutes as there were two key fails (defending a cross, and then failing to cut out the short through ball on the edge of the area), is a testament to the discipline that's been instilled in the team.

There wasn't much pressure applied on Everton but it kept us in the game to the last minute, and it wasn't as if they had no alarms at the back, albeit they were comfortable for most of the match.

You're right, of course, but managing those tactics with L2 players against Premiership opposition is a tough call to get right and make effective.

In my view, it took 15/20 minutes for us to adapt to the different level of the opposition. Once we had, we kept them out superbly.

I have noticed at home games that Jason and Bozzie leave the pitch earlier than the others- I don’t think we should read too much into it- they probably want to get in the shower first and then away home.
Shackell came over to the stand and clapped the supporters and then quickly turned and went down the tunnel. People are different. A quick clap from one player can be as heartfelt as a more elaborate display from another.
I also think Shackell saw it as an opportunity lost, think he likes to win more than most. I’d rather have him than a happy clapping second rate defender, who’s happy to come second.