Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City

42 attempts on goal in last 2 games- only 2 goals to show for it.
28 attempts on goal against and 4 goals to show for it.

Score more and concede less.

Seems so simple

By the way what’s with their player giving it large to us longer after the game had finished. Completely unnecessary

Interest from Salford apparently.

There's always interest from Salford.

So we sell Akinde for £200k, and then what? It took DC two seasons to get a striker of sufficient quality on loan. How far will that £200k go to getting another?

Here's another way of looking at this - we didn't lose today in the final third, we lost it at the back. Both goals we conceded were sloppy, as were the goals at MK - we'd have picked up points in both games were it not for the mistakes in defence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another way of looking at this - we didn't lose today in the final third, we lost it at the back. Both goals we conceded were sloppy, as were the goals at MK - we'd have picked up points in both games were it not for the mistakes in defence.
Some sloppy stuff at the back and some very loose passing from midfield.
Aside from the header at the end, I don't think we created a clear chance for Walker or Akinde. Strangely, we were hitting Walker long when Akinde would be the better option, and only started to try and stretch them when the pace of Walker was sitting on his arse.

Doncaster’s second goal.

Could Payne have cleared it. Yes.
Could Grant have cleared it. Yes.
Could Grant have defended better after he gave it away. Yes.

I imagine training this week may revolve around why we conceded goal number 2 and quite rightly so.

If we had not conceded goal 2 - which is the type of goal we have n’t conceded very often under the Cowleys, it would have been a very satisfactory away performance.

Ignoring Doncaster’s second goal, there was a lot to be encouraged by.
All the ingredients for a good season.

Last edited:
I think what the season so far even though its early days and i can only watch on ifollow and at rather poor times for me generally. One we are more then competitive and have created chances in all games even the losses. Two clearing your lines quickly is so important at this level . Three in the two games we have lost we seem to be creating a lot but probably just a tad short on finishing however i think we will be pushing for a play off spot if we win the next league game thats a avg of 2 points a game 17 teams below us would love to be in Lincolns position right now

Last edited:
There's always interest from Salford.

So we sell Akinde for £200k, and then what? It took DC two seasons to get a striker of sufficient quality on loan. How far will that £200k go to getting another?

as you say it``s the defence shipping goals(basic stuff) that is the big problem, can see Bolger getting the shirt back soon.............never deserved to be dropped.

By the way what’s with their player giving it large to us longer after the game had finished. Completely unnecessary

The police should have told him to go as should their manager.

He will never sign for Lincoln as he has now failed the Cowley Kent test!!

Watching today’s game showed how much we have improved from last season but there is a big difference between the top 6 in Division 1 and Division 2, the likes of Ipswich, Pompey and Sunderland have huge budgets compared to us, if we finish top half I will be happy.

Like to see Bolger back at CB to give us a bit of pace at the back, thought Payne looks a great signing.

Hopefully with the money from the Everton game we can bring a couple of players in to boost numbers.

UTMI

Problem being the Everton money may actually end up balancing the loss of the 2 x home league games

We concede two poor goals for the second time in a week and Akinde is the punchbag again? As depressing as it is predictable.

Listen,forums like this drag in all forms of fans comments and some of them serve as amusement to the rest of us.
Thankfully we don`t all agree on all matters(sheep) because if that was the case then i would`t bother pressing letters on a keyboard.
at the minute the worrying thing is our naive defending?

Some sloppy stuff at the back and some very loose passing from midfield.
Aside from the header at the end, I don't think we created a clear chance for Walker or Akinde. Strangely, we were hitting Walker long when Akinde would be the better option, and only started to try and stretch them when the pace of Walker was sitting on his arse.

we have persisted with the lone isolated striker model to the point where it needs a rethink.(Walker not a target man especially up against 2 big centre backs) this leads to poor retention in final attacking third.
our wide options deliver less than required crosses into the box.........service to striker issues.
Give Bruno back his shirt on the left and play Walker down the right with JA through the middle.(upgrade width)
it`s early days yet......it might click on Wednesday.

Listen,forums like this drag in all forms of fans comments and some of them serve as amusement to the rest of us.
Thankfully we don`t all agree on all matters(sheep) because if that was the case then i would`t bother pressing letters on a keyboard.
at the minute the worrying thing is our naive defending?

The naive defending came from two players in Grant and Payne that aren’t yet quite on method.

It’s not too worrying because they will clearly understand what they should have done, before the step on the grass again.
The Cowleys will see to that.

we have persisted with the lone isolated striker model to the point where it needs a rethink.(Walker not a target man especially up against 2 big centre backs) this leads to poor retention in final attacking third.
our wide options deliver less than required crosses into the box.........service to striker issues.
Give Bruno back his shirt on the left and play Walker down the right with JA through the middle.(upgrade width)
it`s early days yet......it might click on Wednesday.

I don’t profess to have the tactical understanding our management have. However, not sure too much is wrong.

All formations are a balance. The stronger your defensive shape the more you take from your attacking shape, and vice versa. It’s always a balancing act.

Away games against good opposition are hard.

You often don’t get a chance all game. We created five or six reasonable chances to score. Some days you take one and win. Some days you concede two and lose.

Thought we played well. Don’t envisage a whole lot of changes in formations, just more work at perfecting what we are trying to do now.

I’ve just noticed that when we scored, two of our over excitable fans jumped the barrier to celebrate and were just gently pushed back into the stand by the stewards. Much better dealt with than at Rotherham a fortnight ago

The naive defending came from two players in Grant and Payne that aren’t yet quite on method.

It’s not too worrying because they will clearly understand what they should have done, before the step on the grass again.
The Cowleys will see to that.

first goal by Donny.....the long punt, just a case of Bossie not attacking the ball,let it bounce and the striker finished well.
second goal a shambles..........Payne losing possession in a critical area.
....still plenty of defenders in box but nobody close enough to the scorer.