Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City

I couldn't agree more with this. We are playing a great fantastic passing game which is really good to watch.
All I hope is that all supporters understand this evolution and should we lose a few there aren't many calls to revert to hoof it forward as per the National League.
It will come good without the hoofball. Last season we watched the 'better passing teams' play little triangles and get absolutely nowhere.
This season our passing is getting us all over the pitch and into the box. We just need to start putting away all the chances we are making.
We are the new, improved version.?

I couldn't agree more with this. We are playing a great fantastic passing game which is really good to watch.
All I hope is that all supporters understand this evolution and should we lose a few there aren't many calls to revert to hoof it forward as per the National League.

As long as we don't try and play like Arsenal from the back and easily get dispossessed near our penalty area. I like us trying to play more football but there is always a time for a Grant Brown when it's needed. If we had done that at Donny we would have got something out of that game.

I am not a fan of style per se.

Whatever works best with the players we have must always be the way to go.

Barcelona played their dull metronomic football or total football, if you like because they virtually always had the ball and would therefore win. They did not do it because it was pretty.

I enjoyed some of our passing. I did not enjoy watching Grant look to make a pretty pass in his own box when it needed a hoof.

I have enjoyed the last few seasons enormously because we have played winning football. Did it matter we based it on Paul Farman booting the ball the length of the pitch, Alex Woodyard running around like a lunatic and Matt Rhead 's aerial prowess. No, not one jot.

We are playing more football because it's likely to be more successful than our NL approach.

Winning ugly is always better than losing pretty.

If you can watch both pretty and winning football then you are really being spoilt.

Barcelona played their dull metronomic football or total football, if you like because they virtually always had the ball and would therefore win. They did not do it because it was pretty.

To digress, Barcelona from 2008-2010 under Guardiola were not dull.

In fact that side played the best, and most exciting football I have seen. It reached its high water-mark when they completely destroyed Mourinho's Real Madrid 5-0 in 2010, the same season they beat Man United at Wembley in the CL Final.

After that all teams adopted a boilerplate way of combating their style of play with two banks of four on the edge of their own penalty area, so that the game became a war of attrition, which Barcelona invariably won, but with little entertainment value.

Passing for passing's sake is no good, hardly anyone wants to watch that. But - though results matter in the end - all things being equal I'd much sooner watch Cowley's Lincoln version 4.0 than the earlier incarnations.

I can recall Spain ended up going very boring in the years after their WC and Euro wins. Ended up just passing for the sake of it.

I'm all for winning football, me. No style preference.

To digress, Barcelona from 2008-2010 under Guardiola were not dull.

In fact that side played the best, and most exciting football I have seen. It reached its high water-mark when they completely destroyed Mourinho's Real Madrid 5-0 in 2010, the same season they beat Man United at Wembley in the CL Final.

After that all teams adopted a boilerplate way of combating their style of play with two banks of four on the edge of their own penalty area, so that the game became a war of attrition, which Barcelona invariably won, but with little entertainment value.

Passing for passing's sake is no good, hardly anyone wants to watch that. But - though results matter in the end - all things being equal I'd much sooner watch Cowley's Lincoln version 4.0 than the earlier incarnations.

So would I but not if we don't win as often as a less pleasing style would allow.

I can recall Spain ended up going very boring in the years after their WC and Euro wins. Ended up just passing for the sake of it.

I'm all for winning football, me. No style preference.

Yes, same happened with them - not helped by having the conservative Del Bosque as coach.

Spain 2008 under Luis Aragones was a very exciting side, but after him teams opted just to nullify them to the detriment of the spectacle.